Dental Lab Owner
Markus Ring, 88, a former dental laboratory owner and amateur historian, died of congestive heart disease Aug. 11 at the Potomac Valley nursing home in Rockville.
Mr. Ring, who served in the Army Reserve from 1946 to 1966 and retired as a lieutenant colonel, owned Ring Dental Laboratory in Washington for 50 years and was a frequent lecturer on American history.
Mr. Ring, a native Washingtonian, was raised near the White House and exercised President Warren G. Harding's champion Airedale, Laddie Boy. He often delivered shoes to the White House, as his father was a shoemaker who did work for the presidents from Theodore to Franklin D. Roosevelt. Mr. Ring said in a 1997 article for The Washington Post that Harding paid his dog-walkers with "ice cream, cookies and milk in the White House kitchen. (I've voted Republican ever since.)" He also recalled that on his walks to elementary school, he would pass then-Secretary of the Treasury Andrew W. Mellon strolling to work while his chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce lingered a few feet behind.
He complained in an earlier letter to the editor that President Bill Clinton responded to his letter by using his first name in the salutation rather than using a formal address. "I am appalled at your lack of respect and manners," he wrote in response. "I would expect that kind of address from a hot-shot kid salesman," not from the commander in chief.
A McKinley Technical High School graduate, he became a dental technician. He enlisted in the Army in 1941 and became one of the first commissioned dental technicians in the armed forces. He served at Walter Reed Hospital and the Central Dental Laboratory, in Fort McPherson, Ga., during World War II.
Mr. Ring was president of the National Association of Dental Laboratories in 1963. He was elected to the organization's Hall of Fame and chosen clinician of the year by group in 1978 and technician of the year by the International Congress of Dental Technology in 1980.
Mr. Ring was a docent at the National Archives for many years. He was a charter member of the Montgomery County Civil War Roundtable. He was a life member of the Reserve Officers Association and the Retired Officers Association as well as the Military Order of the World Wars. He was also a member of Temple Rodef Shalom in Falls Church.
His first wife, Erma Ring, died in 1969.
Survivors include his wife, Betty Ring of Falls Church; two sons from his first marriage, Jeffrey Ring of Idaho Falls and Nelson Ring of Gaithersburg; a stepdaughter, Anita Bolt of Bethesda; eight grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
Frank Cox Jones
Frank Cox Jones, 87, a Navy rear admiral who designed, constructed and repaired ships during a career of nearly four decades, died of pneumonia Aug. 9 at Knollwood, a military retirement community in the District.
Adm. Jones, whose father, Rear Adm. Claud A. Jones, was a Medal of Honor winner, grew up in Washington and graduated from St. Albans School in 1934. In 1938, he graduated third in his class from the U.S. Naval Academy, where he was on the golf team.
After two years of sea duty on the old battleship USS Nevada, he enrolled at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 1943, he received a master's degree in naval architecture and marine engineering.
For the duration of World War II, he was involved in ship conversions and repairs at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard at Bremerton, Wash., and at a forward naval repair facility on Guam.
From 1948 to 1951, he was assigned to various duties in the Bureau of Ships in Washington and then spent a year as a shipbuilding supervisor at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. From 1952 to 1955, he served in London and Frankfurt, where he assisted in new naval construction by allied nations.
After receiving a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University in 1956, Adm. Jones became comptroller at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in New Hampshire, serving until 1959. From 1959 to 1962, he again was at the Bureau of Ships and from 1962 to 1966, he commanded Boston Naval Shipyard. He was promoted to rear admiral in July 1965.
From 1966 until his retirement in 1974, Adm. Jones served in the Washington area as deputy commander of the bureau of ships, then vice commander and inspector general of naval ships systems command. His final assignment was as commander of the naval ship engineering center in Hyattsville. After his retirement, he did consulting work involving naval shipyards in Iran.
Adm. Jones served on the governing board of St. Albans School and was chairman from 1976 to 1978. The school named the Jones Science Center in his honor.
Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Margaret McCormack Jones of Washington; a daughter, Blair Jones of Washington; a son, retired Army Lt. Col. Harry Jones of Burke; three grandchildren; and a sister, Margaret Wylie of Troy, Va.
Stanley William Plate
Stanley William Plate, 89, a retired Air Force colonel and trucking company executive, died of complications from cancer Aug. 7 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He lived in Alexandria.
Col. Plate was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. He competed in the 1929 Junior Olympics and received New York Herald Tribune-sponsored medals in several track and field events.
Col. Plate attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, on a track scholarship. Upon arriving at the school, he found that his scholarship required that he participate in at least two sports, so he also played football during his four years there.
Immediately upon graduation from Miami, Col. Plate joined the Army. He was stationed in Alaska during World War II and transferred into the Air Force after that service was formed. Col. Plate also served in Vietnam. He rose to the rank of colonel and retired in 1968 after 30 years of service.
Col. Plate then settled in the Washington area and began a second career as assistant to the president of Tri-State Motor Transit Co., a Joplin, Mo.-based carrier of heavy and specialized commodities and hazardous materials. He acted as liaison between the company and government regulatory and contracting offices and was a well-known figure at many Department of Defense and General Services Administration agencies, as well as at the now non-operational Interstate Commerce Commission. He retired in 1989 from the trucking company, which by then had been renamed TRISM.
Col. Plate was active in the National Defense Transportation Association, the Traffic Club of Washington, Delta Nu Alpha transportation fraternity and the Munitions Carriers Conference of the American Trucking Associations. He was a Mason.
His first wife, Jane King Plate, died in 1970.
Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Bette Caldwell Plate of Alexandria.