Osborne Hauge

Art Collector

Osborne Hauge, 90, a retired Foreign Service officer who was also a collector and donor of Asian art, died of double pneumonia July 21 at Fairfax Inova Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Hauge, who was known to friends as Bud, served in the Foreign Service from 1961 until his retirement in 1974. He represented the Agency for International Development throughout Asia.

During his years in the Foreign Service and the Navy, Mr. Hauge developed an interest in ancient and contemporary Asian art. He and his brother, Victor, collected a wide range of paintings, ceramics, textiles and other objects over the years. Much of their collection has been donated to museums, including the Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery.

Milo Cleveland Beach, former director of the two galleries, stated that the Hauges' gifts offered new opportunities for research, exhibition and publication and that they would help to develop a new generation of scholarship.

While in Japan, Mr. Hauge and his brother became friends of top Japanese scholars and dealers, and they acquired many paintings, hanging scrolls and screens from the Kamakura, Muromachi and Edo periods, as well as ancient and modern Chinese and Korean ceramics. They also collected lacquer items and clay sculpture.

Some of the ceramic crafts -- a 7,000-year-old Iran vessel, animal-shaped pots from the Khmer Empire of Southeast Asia and serving objects from the Islamic world, among others -- were featured in the Sackler Gallery's exhibition "Asian Traditions in Clay" in 2000. Also, an additional 800 items from Southeast Asia were donated to the gallery.

Mr. Hauge was born in Madison, Minn., to Norwegian immigrant parents. He graduated from St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn., and after college, he edited three weekly newspapers in North Dakota.

In 1940, he married the daughter of a Lutheran minister and worked in public relations with the National Lutheran Council in New York.

During World War II, he joined the Navy and was trained in civil administration. During the occupation of Japan after the war, he served as the civilian chief of the local government branch of the government section of the Supreme Command for Allied Powers.

He moved to Washington in 1951 and worked for the Bureau of the Budget for about 10 years. He then joined the Foreign Service.

His wife of 60 years, Gratia Hauge, died in 2000.

Survivors include his brother, Victor Hauge of Falls Church.