William Manthey

Bar Owner

William R. Manthey, 42, a Washington resident and manager of the Fireplace tavern in the District, was found dead Aug. 2 in the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal in Chesapeake City, Md.

A spokesman for the Maryland medical examiner's office said the cause of death is pending further tests.

Mr. Manthey was born in Kearney, N.J., and raised in Kearney and Spring Lake Heights, N.J. He attended what is now Johnson and Wales University in Providence, R.I., and the University of Maryland.

In 1984, he met David Griswell, and the two moved to Baltimore and to Spring Lake Heights during Griswell's medical residency. They moved to Washington with their adopted son, Jerry, in 1989.

Throughout the 1990s, Mr. Manthey was owner and manager of several bars in the District, including the Circle and the Green Lantern.

A sailor, he made frequent trips to Cape Cod, Mass., Maine, the Bahamas, the British Virgin Islands, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

He supported Griswell's volunteer medical work in Honduras and in 1990 provided long-term care for 11-year-old Sandro Alvarez, who was brought to the United States from Honduras for medical treatment. Mr. Manthey continued to provide financial support while the young man attended private school in Honduras.

In addition to Griswell, his partner of 20 years, and Jerry Griswell, both of Washington, survivors include his parents, Richard and Lorraine Manthey of Spring Lake Heights; a brother; and two sisters.

Oramae Davis Dudley

Church Member

Oramae Davis Dudley, 89, a resident of Silver Spring and member of First Baptist Church of Wheaton, died Aug. 16 of congestive heart failure at the Casey House hospice in Rockville.

Mrs. Dudley was born in Bladen County, N.C., and moved to Silver Spring in 1947. She volunteered at her children's schools, played bridge, enjoyed reading and was known as an excellent cook of Southern food.

She and her first husband, Woodie R. Davis, whom she married in 1936, returned to North Carolina in 1980. He died in 1987, and she moved back to Silver Spring in 1997.

A son, R. Fulton Davis, died in 1978.

Survivors include her husband, Richard W. Dudley Sr. of Silver Spring, whom she married in 1991; a son from her first marriage, Daniel E. Davis of Silver Spring; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Lowell E. Campbell

Agriculture Employee

Lowell Eugene Campbell, 84, who worked for the Agriculture Department from 1947 to 1985 and retired as a specialist on lighting technology to improve plant and tree growth, died Aug. 21 at Homewood at Crumland Farms, a retirement community in Frederick. He died of complications of cancer.

Mr. Campbell wrote or co-wrote more than 50 technical publications on subjects including farm lighting and standby electrical generators.

He was a native of Preble County, Ohio, and received bachelor's degrees in engineering and agriculture from Ohio State University.

He served as an airway communications officer in the Army Air Forces in India and Burma during World War II.

His memberships included the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, the American Society of Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning Engineers and the American Legion.

A son, Charles Campbell, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Deborah Kreitler Campbell of Frederick; three children, David Campbell of Ellicott City, Jane Brockman of Brunswick, Ga., and Ellen Campbell of Baltimore; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Hugh Edward Brooks

Aeronautical Engineer

Hugh Edward Brooks, 84, a former aeronautical engineer with the Naval Air Systems Command headquarters, died Aug. 20 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications of emphysema. He lived in Vienna.

Mr. Brooks was a native of Jackson, Tenn., and a 1942 aeronautical engineering graduate of Vanderbilt University.

He served in the Navy during World War II and participated in combat operations at Guadalcanal, Bougainville and elsewhere in the Pacific. He was in the Navy Reserve from 1946 to 1965, retiring at the rank of lieutenant commander.

After his combat experience, Mr. Brooks transferred to the Bureau of Naval Aeronautics as an aeronautical engineer. The bureau became Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR).

He headed several branches of NAVAIR and its previous incarnations, including the overall management of research and the design, development, testing, evaluations, procurement and modification of aircraft, air-launched weapons and aircraft armament system support equipment. He retired in 1980 as head of the weapons system requirements and acquisition branch.

He then joined ALM, which was acquired by ManTech International in 1987. He retired from ManTech in the early 1990s as an executive director.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Jamie Brooks of Vienna; two children, Brad Brooks of Arlington and Tom Brooks of Vienna; a stepson, Jay Knight of Madison, Wis.; and a granddaughter.

Helen Bertot

Foreign Service Secretary

Helen Demirjian Bertot, 77, a former Foreign Service secretary who settled in the Washington area in 1982 and was active in promoting the celebration of Armenian culture in Alexandria, died Aug. 17 at Inova Alexandria Hospital of complications of a ruptured ulcer.

Mrs. Bertot, an Alexandria resident of Armenian heritage, was a founding member of the Alexandria-Gyumri Sister City Committee. Gyumri is in Armenia.

She also helped start Alexandria's Armenian festival, held in Old Town's Market Square for the past 12 years to raise funds for earthquake victims and cultural exchanges.

She was born in New York City to Armenian parents who had fled from Turkish persecution. She worked for the Foreign Service from 1954 to 1959, in Beirut and then Genoa, Italy.

She then accompanied her husband, a Foreign Service officer, on his assignments to Central and South America, North Africa and Europe.

She spoke Armenian, Turkish, Italian, Spanish and some Arabic.

She was a member of Old Presbyterian Meeting House in Alexandria.

Her husband, Joseph Bertot, whom she married in 1959, died in 1990.

Survivors include two children, Jemile Bertot of Alexandria and John Carlo Bertot of Tallahassee; and five grandchildren.

Franklin Douglas Lamb

Minerals Expert

Franklin Douglas Lamb, 94, a retired deputy director of the Interior Department's Bureau of Mines, died Aug. 12 of congestive heart failure at a nursing home in Atlantic Beach, Fla.

Mr. Lamb was an expert in the treatment of ores and administered a broad range of mineral programs and worldwide studies of mineral economics. He also was research director of the bureau's College Park station and later its assistant chief of the division of minerals, where he managed domestic and international programs in science, engineering, economics and statistics. He also served as deputy assistant director of mineral supply.

He was a recipient of the Interior Department's Distinguished Service Award.

Mr. Lamb was also a lecturer and author of technical articles and publications. He held a patent on a method for reducing and separating beryllium ores.

He was born in Williams, Ariz. He was a mining engineering graduate of the University of Arizona, where he also received a master's degree in metallurgy.

After college, he worked with the Treasury Department and then took a sabbatical to work in a gold mine in Ecuador.

He joined the Bureau of Mines in the early 1940s in Missouri and settled in the Washington area in the mid-1940s. He retired in the early 1970s. He moved to Florida from College Park in the mid-1970s.

He wife of 52 years, Florence M. Casey Lamb, and a son, Richard "Buck" Lamb, died in 1989.

Survivors include two children, Robert C. Lamb of Jacksonville, Fla., and Charlene "Cita" Lamb, a member of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, of Asheville, N.C.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

William Lynn Eblen

Airline Pilot

William Lynn Eblen, 84, a retired pilot with United Airlines, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 11 at a nursing home in Jeffersonville, Ind., where he had lived for the past three years.

Mr. Eblen, a Fairfax resident for 51 years, was born in Louisville. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Europe and flew 35 combat missions. His awards included the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal.

After the war, he flew for Pennsylvania Central Airlines, which became Capital Airlines until it merged with United Airlines in 1961. He flew for 35 years until his retirement in 1980.

He was a member of the Elks Club, the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, Mended Hearts support group, Compassionate Friends support group and Fairfax United Methodist Church. He was also a member of the Airline Pilots Association, the 91st Bomb Group Memorial Association and the Retired United Pilots Association.

A son, James "Skip" Eblen, died in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Alma L. Eblen of Jeffersonville; a daughter, Carol Andrew of West Point, Ind.; two sons, William B. Eblen of Jeffersonville and Jeffrey Eblen of Dayton, Ohio; and five grandchildren.