Peter Burke Kresge

AID Officer

Peter Burke Kresge, 58, an employee with the U.S. Agency for International Development, died of cancer Aug. 9 at the Georgetown Suites Hotel in Washington, where he lived for the last several months.

Mr. Kresge, an international development intern education officer, worked for AID since 1987, in Washington, Egypt, Ghana, Morocco and Nepal, where he was based when he became ill several months ago.

Mr. Kresge was born in Seattle and lived for seven years with his family in Paris, where his father was a Foreign Service officer with the Marshall Plan. The family moved to Washington when Mr. Kresge was 12, and he graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School in 1964. He played football and trombone in the school band and had paper routes.

He graduated from Washington State University in Pullman. During his junior year, he attended the Institute for American Universities in Aix-en-Provence, France.

He taught English as a Peace Corps volunteer in Tunisia from 1968 to 1970. When he returned to Washington, he worked for VISTA/ACTION, served as director of the International Center for Language Studies and played trombone in the Washington Redskins marching band in the 1970s. He also taught at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.

In the early 1980s, after completing a master's degree in education at the University of Washington, with a focus on Arabic studies, Mr. Kresge was the Peace Corps' associate director for education in Morocco.

He enjoyed music, theater, scuba diving and tennis.

Survivors include his wife, Christiane Kresge of Washington; two stepchildren, Katrina Brashares of Albany, Calif., and Nicholas Sorenson of East Lansing, Mich.; his parents, Howard and Patricia Kresge, and a brother, John Kresge, all of San Mateo, Calif.; two sisters, Susan Kresge of Paris and Mari Kresge Alexander of Takoma Park; and two grandchildren.

Harry L. 'Johnny' Rust III

Business Executive

Harry Lee "Johnny" Rust III, 83, a retired executive and investor in Frederick Electronics Corp., which manufactured equipment for Teletype networks, including code converters, encryption devices and electronic switches, died Aug. 24 at Manor Care nursing home in Potomac. He had a heart ailment.

A native Washingtonian, Mr. Rust was a 1939 graduate of St. Albans School and a 1943 graduate of Williams College.

During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic and Pacific and commanded two minesweepers. His war experience with electronic equipment helped define the rest of his career.

From 1946 to 1956, he worked at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory as an electronics engineer and supervisor. He contributed to the development of guided missiles for the Navy and the Marine Corps.

He then became a vice president and board member of Electronic Teaching Laboratories, a manufacturer of tape recorders and other equipment for language teaching.

In 1961, he joined Frederick Electronics Corp., which was acquired by Plantronics Inc. shortly before Mr. Rust retired in 1976.

He was a boater and spent at least part of every summer at his home in Christmas Cove, Maine. He was a Washington resident.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Catherine Johansen Rust of Washington; five sons, Harry Rust IV of Alexandria, John Rust of Freeport, Maine, William Rust of Darien, Conn., Robert Rust of Williamsburg and Richard Rust of Portland, Maine; a sister; and eight grandchildren.

Theresa P. Kane


Theresa Pauline Kane, 88, a volunteer and a retired administrative assistant, died Aug. 22 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Kane was a native Washingtonian. A member of Holy Name School's first graduating class in 1929, she also graduated from Eastern High School.

During the 1920s and 1930s, she helped at her family's business, Lazzari's Grocery Store, at 10th and H streets NE.

She married in 1937 and later became active in the Sodality and Tuesday Club at St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

She raised money in door-to-door appeals to support the construction of Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring in the early 1960s. She handed out brochures and participated in other activities to support the Right to Life movement.

In the late 1960s and 1970s, she worked as an administrative assistant at the Washington Theological Coalition in Silver Spring. She retired in the mid-1970s.

She also enjoyed antiques, yard sales and her Santa Claus and teddy bear collections.

After she fell ill, she moved in 2000 from her home of 60 years in Silver Spring to a daughter's home in Germantown.

Her husband of 51 years, John J. Kane, died in 1988.

Survivors include three sons, Michael Kane of Washington Grove, Timothy Kane of Silver City, N.M., and David Kane of Greensboro, N.C.; two daughters, Kathleen Sample of Germantown and Mary Theresa Walker of Hanover, Pa.; a sister, Mary Louise DonVito of Washington; nine grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.