Harry Monroe Jr.
Harry Monroe Jr., 97, former president of Monroe Ford Motor Co. in Silver Spring, died of pneumonia Aug. 27 in Juno Beach, Fla., where he lived.
Mr. Monroe was born in New Orleans and graduated from Tulane University. He held executive management positions in various companies, including Montgomery Ward, until 1949, when he became owner and president of Monroe Ford, one of the largest automobile dealerships in the Washington area.
He was active in business, civic and charitable affairs, serving in leadership positions in automotive trade and retail associations in the area. In 1975, Mr. Monroe was awarded the Time magazine's Quality Dealer Award, and in 1977, he received a certificate of outstanding service from the Automotive Hall of Fame. He retired from Monroe Motors in 1979.
He was an avid small-boat yachtsman as a member of the Annapolis Yacht Club and the U.S. Power Squadron of Ocean City, and was a past commodore of the Rotary Yacht Squadron of Chesapeake Bay.
He was a resident of Montgomery County and Washington until moving in 1988 to Palm Beach, Fla., where he became involved in a number of civic and social clubs.
Mr. Monroe's first wife, Augusta Worthington Rupp Monroe, died in 1974.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Jane McCaffree Monroe of Juno Beach; a son, Harry Monroe III of Nokomis, Fla.; two brothers, David Monroe and Bradford Monroe, both of Metairie, La.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
Harley Ronald Climpson
Harley Ronald Climpson, 90, an official with the former U.S. General Accounting Office, died Aug. 22 of complications of arteriosclerosis at the Johnson Center nursing facility in Potomac Falls, where he lived.
After attending the University of Illinois for one year, Mr. Climpson moved to the Washington area in the 1930s. He completed his bachelor's and law degrees at American University while working as an auditor for the GAO, now called the Government Accountability Office.
During World War II, he was a communications officer in the Navy, serving aboard ships in the Atlantic, European and North African theaters. After the war, he resumed his career with the GAO, holding various management positions.
In the late 1940s, he received a second bachelor's degree in accounting from George Washington University. In the early 1950s, he was part of a management team establishing an accounting system for the Air Force.
From the mid-1950s until the mid-1960s, Mr. Climpson was deputy director of the Civil Aeronautics Board, before returning to the GAO. He finished his government career as the GAO's deputy director of personnel before retiring in 1972.
Among his achievements at the GAO was the establishment of internal standards for auditors and evaluators.
After his retirement, he was a consultant for the Jamaican government, helping to reform its accounting system. He was a member of the D.C. Bar, the Bar of the Supreme Court and Sigma Nu Phi national legal fraternity.
Mr. Climpson was born in Gibson City, Ill. He lived in Bethesda from 1949 to 1975, when he moved to Star Tannery, Va. He lived in Winchester, Va., from the early 1980s until 1990, when he moved to Williamsburg. He had lived at the Johnson Center in Potomac Falls since 2003.
His wife of 51 years, Mary Louise Yauch Climpson, died in 1988.
A son, Stephen Ald Climpson, died in infancy in 1948.
Survivors include four children, Elaine D. Climpson of San Francisco, Charles Randolph Climpson of Gaithersburg, Jeffrey T. Climpson of Flemington, N.J., and Russell S. Climpson of Santa Ana, Calif.; and four grandchildren.