Pipe bomb case: Prescott Sigmund, who is serving a 32-year prison sentence for trying to kill his father by putting a pipe bomb in his Chevrolet Blazer, has pleaded guilty in Montana to using a fraudulent Social Security number while he was living there under an assumed name, authorities said.
Sigmund pleaded guilty Wednesday in federal court in Missoula, said Bill Mercer, U.S. attorney for the District of Montana. He could face up to five years in prison on that charge when sentenced in December.
In July 2002, the nail-and-gunpowder bomb exploded in the SUV in a garage in the Friendship Heights area of the District. Prosecutors said that Sigmund hoped to inherit money from his father's estate if his father was killed. But Wright Sigmund, Prescott's half brother, had borrowed the car and suffered third-degree burns and shrapnel injuries.
Insanity plea: A 22-year-old man pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity yesterday to a charge of second-degree murder in the strangulation last year of a music promoter.
Enzo Costa, of no fixed address, entered the plea in D.C. Superior Court after reaching an agreement with the government regarding the December death of Tymon Birchett, 28.
Birchett's body was discovered Dec. 9 when U.S. marshals went to evict him from his apartment in the 2100 block of Massachusetts Avenue NW. According to documents, Costa told detectives he went to Birchett's apartment that morning, then feared that Birchett was about to sexually assault him. He said he beat Birchett, strangled him and put the body in a large duffel bag.
According to testimony from a forensic psychologist, Costa has paranoid schizophrenia, U.S. Attorney Kenneth L. Wainstein said in a statement. Psychologist Michael G. Sweda stated at a hearing that the slaying was a result of Costa's illness. Officials are to consider his treatment at a hearing in October.
Youth pleads guilty: A 17-year-old youth has pleaded guilty to physically abusing campers at a religious overnight camp in Gainesville this summer.
The Prince George's County resident, who was hired as a camp counselor, pleaded guilty in Prince William County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court to one count of object sexual penetration. Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Jeanice Wiethop said she is considering asking a judge to order that the boy be detained until he is 21, the maximum sentence, because he was in a position of authority.
The boy is the third of four youths to plead guilty to sexually and physically abusing three campers at the Northern Virginia Baptist Center's overnight camp in July. Two other boys from Prince George's County, ages 12 and 13, who were campers, also have pleaded guilty to object sexual penetration. They could face 30 days and 60 days, respectively, in a juvenile detention center. The fourth boy, a 15-year-old camp counselor from Fairfax, will have a court hearing Sept. 17.
Compiled from reports by staff writers.