Dwight James Pinion

Legislative Counsel

Dwight James Pinion, 93, former legislative counsel to the U.S. Senate, died Aug. 27 at his home in Deming, N.M., where he lived the past three years. He had arterial sclerotic cardiovascular disease.

Mr. Pinion and his wife, Kathryn, lived in Arlington for 26 years and in McLean for 38. When he retired from his work in the Senate, the late senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona recognized him in the Congressional Record as a personal friend and an exceptional public servant.

Mr. Pinion was born in Wynot, Neb., and graduated from Grand Island Business College in Nebraska in 1934. He received his law degree from Southeastern University in the District in 1937.

His lengthy career in government service began at the Bureau of Veterans Affairs in 1934, followed by the Securities and Exchange Commission from 1937 to 1942. He worked in the Office of the Legislative Counsel of the U.S. Senate from 1942 to 1969. From 1967 until retiring in 1969, he was the legislative counsel to the U.S. Senate.

As legislative counsel, he was an expert on civil service legislation and agricultural issues, among others. He also worked closely with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He was a member of the National Lawyers Club.

He enjoyed camping and fishing and was an active skier into his eighties, even though he didn't take up the sport until he was in his fifties. A member of the Ski Club of Washington, D.C., he loved skiing in Utah.

He also was a Boy Scout scoutmaster and practiced fly-casting in the Reflecting Pool on the Mall with the National Capitol Casting Club.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Kathryn Pinion of Deming; three daughters, Carolyn Rice of Deming, Nancy Stehman of Leesburg and Pauline Mulligan of Friday Harbor, Wash.; a sister, Pauline Stark of Baltimore; a brother, Jack Pinion of Bethesda; three grandchildren; and two great-granddaughters.

Lily Marie Perez Tiernan

Tennis Player

Lily Tiernan, 75, a former tennis doubles companion at the Springfield Golf and Country Club, died Aug. 31 of cardiac arrest at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She had been recovering from injuries she suffered June 23 in an automobile accident. She lived in Springfield.

Mrs. Tiernan continued to play tennis competitively at the club, where she was a member, several days a week until the time of the accident.

From the 1970s to late 1980s, she worked in retail sales at Garfinkels, Lord & Taylor and Neiman Marcus. She viewed her work as a hobby that allowed her to enjoy her love of fashion, interacting with people, and -- most of all -- shopping. "Her motto was to 'never bring home a paycheck, just apply it to my bill,' " said a family member.

Born in Monterey, Calif., she was a first-generation American raised by parents who had emigrated from Spain. Much of her childhood was spent helping in the family grocery store, La Espanola. She was crowned Queen of the Monterey Bicentennial in 1946.

She received an associate degree from Harnell College in Salinas, Calif., and attended San Jose State University.

She married in 1950 and traveled with her husband, who was an Air Force officer and meteorologist, to Tokyo and Madrid before settling in Springfield in 1969.

A patron of the arts, Mrs. Tiernan enjoyed local theater and museums. She also was an artist who painted watercolors and oils of nature scenes.

She was member of the self-titled "Worthy Women," a culture club, book club and prayer group.

Survivors include her husband of 54 years, Edward Tiernan of Springfield; four children, Kathleen Fox of Springfield, Edward Tiernan of Ashburn, Patricia Donelan of Fairfax and Shelley Tunell of Columbia; a sister; two brothers; and nine grandchildren.

Yolanda Valencia Glower

Montgomery County Teacher

Yolanda Valencia Glower, 71, a longtime teacher of English for Speakers of Other Languages classes in Montgomery County public schools, died Aug. 30 at her home in Kensington. She had peritoneal cancer.

Mrs. Glower, a native of El Salvador, spent the past three years as a liaison between county schools and Spanish-speaking parents.

From 1986 to 1999, she worked at Albert Einstein High School in Kensington, where she taught ESOL and was a co-founder of the intensive English language center.

The center provides basic classes in English, math and social studies to Spanish-speaking high school students who have immigrated and whose schooling was interrupted in their homelands for various reasons.

At Einstein, she co-founded a Latino dance group and a parent-teacher association for Latinos. She also started an academic honor society that provides college scholarships to Latino students.

She was a recipient of the county's ESOL teacher of the year award in the late 1990s.

She did volunteer work for CASA de Maryland as a teacher of literacy classes.

She was born in San Salvador and came to the Washington area in 1961 to seek treatment for her son, who has cerebral palsy. She did not speak English when she arrived and enrolled in the Americanization School in Washington.

She was a graduate of D.C. Teachers College and received a master's degree in special education from George Washington University.

In the 1970s, she worked at St. John's Child Development Center in Washington and became supervisor of instruction.

Her hobbies included knitting.

Her marriages to Carlos Felix and Stanley Glower ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter from the first marriage, Laura Bodin of Kensington; a son from the second marriage, Raphael Glower of Kensington; two sisters; and a brother.

Robert George Emond

Former FBI Agent

Robert George Emond, 80, a former FBI agent who also worked for several government agencies, died Aug. 25 at his home in Salisbury, Md., of congestive heart failure.

Mr. Emond was born in Minneapolis and graduated from DeLaSalle High School in 1940. He entered prep school at St. Mary's Manor in Langhorne, Pa., and then was accepted by Marist College, then a seminary associated with Catholic University. He completed his undergraduate degree in philosophy in 1948.

While employed in a clerical position at the FBI, he attended Georgetown University Law School until he was appointed an FBI agent in 1950. After serving in field offices in Memphis, Baltimore and Washington, he was appointed headquarters office supervisor in 1955. He resigned in 1962 to become deputy director of security at the U.S. Information Agency, where he conducted inspections of USIA facilities around the world.

In 1966, he transferred to the Office of Economic Opportunity as deputy director of inspections. He later headed that office until 1970. He became deputy director of program operations at the U.S. Price Commission in 1971 and later became director of administration for the Office of Exceptions and Appeals in the Department of Energy. He retired in 1979.

While Mr. Emond was assigned to Salisbury in 1953 and 1954, he and his family developed an appreciation for the community; they moved back in 1971. He was a member of St. Francis de Sales Parish.

His marriage to Anna Klein ended in divorce. His second wife, Jane Alexander, died in 1991.

Survivors include eight children from his first marriage, Kathryn Kingsley of Laurel, Terrie Barr-Fein of Potomac, Robert Emond of Baltimore, Christopher Emond of Rockville, C. Joseph Emond of Salisbury, Mary Dennis of Ellicott City, Marc Emond of Ocean Pines, Md., and Anna Page of Oceanside, Calif.; two brothers; 20 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Yve Janssens Laudy


Yve Janssens Laudy, 66, a journalist, died Aug. 28 of ovarian cancer at her home in Arlington.

Ms. Laudy was a Washington area resident for nearly 30 of the 35 years she lived in the United States. She was a fixture in the foreign press community and a frequent presence at diplomatic functions in Washington.

Mr. Laudy was born in Brussels and educated at the Van Meenen Commercial Institute in Brussels. In Belgium, she worked in advertising.

In 1971, she sold her advertising agency and came to the United States to help her mother start a restaurant in Palm Springs, Calif. The restaurant, specializing in Belgian pastries and other delicacies, didn't work out, so she moved to Los Angeles.

Hoping for a career in journalism, she began writing freelance articles. Because she needed a more reliable source of income, she bought a Polaroid camera and took photos of tourists on Hollywood Boulevard.

Eventually, she hooked up with a Quebec radio station and began calling in news reports about President Richard Nixon's Western White House, down the coast at San Clemente. That led to a column for a French-language daily newspaper in Quebec and, later, for a Canadian magazine, La Chatelaine.

As she explained to the Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune in 1998, she sent copies of the Canadian articles to the foreign editor at La Libre Belgique, a Brussels daily newspaper, but heard nothing for six months. When the editor went on vacation, other staff members, desperate for copy, rummaged through his desk and discovered her work. She moved to Washington in 1975 and became the newspaper's foreign correspondent.

For nearly three decades, she reported on and analyzed political developments in the United States for Belgian audiences.

In addition to her reporting on political and national security issues, she analyzed American cultural and social trends.

Her husband, Francis Evence Janssens, was also a journalist, writing for daily newspapers in Europe. After his death in 1993, Ms. Laudy continued his chronicle of New York life ("Vivre a New York") for the Belgian newspaper L'Echo. She used the pen name Yves Janssens.

"I know in her last years that she was most enthused about the articles on New York she wrote for L'Echo," said a friend, Hugh De Santis. "I recall reading her piece on Janet Jackson's Super Bowl expose, for example, in which she wittily toyed with America's ambivalence about sexuality, namely, simultaneously permissive and puritanical."

Survivors include her son, Claude Janssens-Lodewicks of Brussels, and a grandson.