Nicoletta C. Marketos


Nicoletta C. Marketos, 90, a lifelong librarian who worked for the Library of Congress for 52 years, died of gastric cancer Aug. 29 at her home in Washington.

Ms. Marketos, whose nephew described her as a "smart, studious person," specialized in cataloguing rare books. Her career spanned the administrations of five librarians of Congress, beginning with Archibald MacLeish, and involved assignments in all three of the library's buildings, including the Adams building when it was the federal government's first centrally air-conditioned office building.

Ms. Marketos was born to Greek immigrant parents in Syracuse, N.Y., and raised in Utica. She was a graduate of Elmira College and received a master's degree in library science from the University of Michigan. She was working at the Temple University library in Philadelphia in 1943 when a cataloguing position opened up at the Library of Congress, and she was hired.

"She had very strong feelings about the methods of cataloguing," said James L. Marketos, one of her nephews. "She began working under one method, they changed to another one, and by the time she retired, it had come full circle."

In Washington, Ms. Marketos was a parishioner of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral and a member of its women's charity, the Philoptochos Society. Her interests included foreign travel and painting and being an aunt to three generations of nieces and nephews.

She had no immediate survivors.

Kathryn Schain-Sands

Dog Breeder, Philosopher

Kathryn Schain-Sands, 52, who raised Doberman pinschers and taught philosophy at Georgetown University, died Aug. 27 of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease, at the Capital Hospice in Arlington.

Ms. Schain-Sands was born in Winona, Minn., and spent much of her childhood on the Mississippi. She earned a bachelor's degree from Pomona College in 1974 and a master's degree in philosophy from Vanderbilt University in 1978. Four months later, she received a doctorate in philosophy from Vanderbilt and was given the Franklin J. Matchette teaching award.

She then went to work teaching philosophy at Georgetown from 1978 until 1982, when she resigned to breed and raise Dobermans and show them in competitions. She also worked part time at several veterinary clinics.

Ms. Schain-Sands played the piano and violin. She also loved the outdoors and enjoyed boating, water-skiing, swimming, canoeing, biking, running and cooking.

She was a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church on Capitol Hill.

Her marriage to Jay Reuscher ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of eight years, Robert Sands of Washington; her mother, Pauline Schain of Winona; a brother; and two sisters.

Myra A. Purdom

School, Church Volunteer

Myra A. Purdom, 65, who volunteered at her church and a school library, died of cancer Aug. 28 at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Purdom was born in Jackson, Miss., the daughter of the late Col. and Mrs. Amos T. Akerman and the great-granddaughter of Amos T. Akerman, the first southerner to serve in the U.S. Cabinet after the Civil War.

She graduated from Punahou School in Honolulu and Radcliffe College in Massachusetts. After her graduation and marriage, she accompanied her husband on his Air Force assignments in the United States, Spain and Saudi Arabia.

After settling in the Springfield area in 1976, she volunteered in the library at Hunt Valley Elementary School in Springfield and at her church, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Burke. She also taught Sunday school there.

She enjoyed reading mystery novels and travel, especially in Europe and the Caribbean.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Philip C. Purdom of Springfield; three children, Alexandra Broome of Jersey City, Anne K. Brannam of Alexandria and David A. Purdom of Asheville, N.C.; two grandchildren; and three step-grandchildren.

Jean Thuering Fisher

Marketing Professional

Jean Thuering Fisher, 49, formerly an employee in the marketing department of Biospherics Inc., died Aug. 2 of Huntington's disease at Fairland Adventist Nursing Home in Silver Spring. She had previously lived in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Fisher was born in Bellefonte, Pa., and raised in State College, Pa., where her father was a professor at Penn State University. She graduated from Penn State in 1975 with a bachelor's degree in marketing and received a master's degree in business administration from Loyola College in Baltimore in 1980.

She moved to the Washington area in 1976 and worked in marketing for Martin-Marietta, now called the Lockheed Martin Co.

In 1986, she began working for Biospherics, now known as Biospherix.

It was not until 1989 that Mrs. Fisher learned that her mother had died of Huntington's disease and, after taking a test, that she had inherited the genetic predisposition for the illness. Symptoms of the illness came on gradually, until she had to move into a nursing home in 1996.

Her marriage to Larry Fisher ended in divorce in 1989, as did two earlier marriages, to Carl Ammeringer and David Fetzer.

Survivors include two daughters, Rochelle A. Fisher and Madeline A. Fisher, both of Chevy Chase; two stepsons, Steven R. Fisher of Washington and Gregory R. Fisher of Silver Spring; and her stepmother, Betty McBride Thuering of State College.

William Raymond Mize Jr.


William Raymond Mize Jr., 72, a radiologist at Washington Hospital Center for many years, died as the result of a hemorrhage caused by a fall at his home in the Watergate. Dr. Mize, who had been ill for some time with diabetes and hypertension, apparently tripped and fell as he tried to get out of bed.

Dr. Mize was born near Little Rock. He received a bachelor of science degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1954. He went to medical school at George Washington University, receiving his degree in 1958, and interned at Boston City Hospital in 1959.

He entered the Navy in 1960 and was assigned to the Marine Corps. He spent a year as a medical officer in Okinawa before returning to the United States as a medical officer with the Navy. He was in the reserve from 1963 to 1965.

He resumed his medical residency in radiology at George Washington University in 1966 and was certified by the American Board of Radiology that same year. He was a radiologist at the clinics of Groover, Christie and Merritt and in the radiology department of Washington Hospital Center from 1966 until his retirement in 1995. He was a member of several radiology societies.

After his retirement, he was chief usher at the Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle in Washington.

Survivors include his partner of 48 years, Dr. Cesar A. Caceres of Washington, and a brother.

Eugenia Lou Weymueller

Volunteer, Homemaker

Eugenia Lou Schmidt Weymueller, 75, a volunteer and homemaker, died of lung disease Aug. 26 at Casey House hospice in Rockville. She was a Silver Spring resident.

Mrs. Weymueller was born in Daytona Beach, Fla., and attended Florida State University. She married and moved to Ohio and New Jersey before settling in Burke. She held a variety of office jobs over the years but was primarily a homemaker and mother. She also led religious discussions and prayer groups.

She and her husband served as volunteers with the Northern Virginia Training Center for the mentally retarded, Meals on Wheels, the American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society and other organizations.

She and her husband moved to Leisure World in Silver Spring in 1993, where Mrs. Weymueller volunteered as a reporter for a newsletter. She was also on the outreach committee of the interfaith chapel.

Survivors include her husband of 56 years, Robert G. Weymueller of Silver Spring; a son, Eric Weymueller of Vancouver, B.C.; a daughter, Robin Weymueller of Coral Gables, Fla.; a sister; and two granddaughters.

Juanita E. Bryant Mitchell


Juanita Estelle Bryant Mitchell, 81, a retired D.C. public school teacher, died of cancer Aug. 30 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Mitchell worked as a general science teacher from 1947 to 1957 at Francis Junior High School in the District, then transferred to Gordon Junior High School, where she remained until her retirement in 1975.

Born in Clifton, she attended elementary school there and in Manassas. She graduated from the District's Dunbar High School and earned a degree from Miner Teachers College, a predecessor of the University of the District of Columbia, in 1945.

While in school and immediately after graduation, she worked at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing until she found work as a teacher.

She was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church in Washington until 1975, when she joined the Takoma Park Baptist Church, where she was a volunteer van driver.

Her husband, Samuel Clayton Mitchell Jr., died in 1975.

Survivors include twin daughters, Janice Mitchell Whitney of Adelphi and Jacklyn Mitchell Wynn of Bethesda; a son, Samuel C. Mitchell III of Laurel; and five grandchildren.

Benjamin Earl Skinker Jr.

Business Owner

Benjamin Earl Skinker Jr., 83, a Potomac resident who co-owned the National News Agency, a newspaper distribution service, from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, died Aug. 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Skinker was a native Washingtonian and a 1940 graduate of Wilson High School. He served in the Army in England during World War II.

Early in his career, he co-owned and operated Syfo Water Co., a soda water supplier to restaurants and bars, and was involved in a family business, Skinker Brothers Tire Co.

He won several amateur golf tournaments in the Washington area and owned racehorses. He was a former member of Columbia Country Club in Chevy Chase.

His marriage to Betty Jane Bray Skinker ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion of 21 years, Dorothy Coxen of Potomac; six children from his marriage, Benjamin Earl Skinker III of Alpine, Wyo., Patricia Gail Mann of Ocean City, Teresa Lynn Sprague of Destin, Fla., Joseph Warren Skinker of Davidsonville and Nora Jean Morton and John Frederick Skinker, both of Arnold; three children he helped raise with his companion, Michael Anthony Coxen of Rockville and James Robert Coxen Jr. and Jeanne Lucille Koerber, both of Potomac; a brother; a sister; and nine grandchildren.

Dale David Kerstetter

Geophysical Engineer

Dale David Kerstetter, 86, a retired geophysical engineer, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 29 at his daughter's home in Germantown. He was a Rockville resident.

Mr. Kerstetter worked for the Naval Ordnance Laboratory from 1943 until 1976. He was chief of the operations division, chief of the air and surface department, project manager for anti-ship missile defense and science adviser to the commander of the naval surface force in the Pacific.

Among his awards were two Meritorious Civilian Service awards and the Navy's Superior Civilian Service award.

In retirement, he worked part time as an engineering consultant with Systems Research Corp.

Born in Grand Junction, Colo., Mr. Kerstetter graduated from the Colorado School of Mines as a geophysicist. He worked from 1939 to 1943 for the Standard Oil Co. of Venezuela, exploring for oil, before joining the Naval Ordnance Lab.

While living in Silver Spring, he was president of the Woodmoor Citizens Association.

He later served as president of the Manor Village Homes Association in Rockville and was a member of the Commission on Common Ownership Communities of Montgomery County.

Mr. Kerstetter was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring and later of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville. He enjoyed traveling and golfing, and was a member of Manor Country Club in Norbeck.

His wife of more than 50 years, Claire Patricia Kerstetter, died in 1999.

Survivors include his three daughters, Gail Fooks of Brookeville, Linda Sterling of Germantown and Joanne Hull of Gaithersburg; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Carol Slater Barie


Carol Slater Barie, 77, a homemaker and Bethesda resident, died of cancer Aug. 31 at Manor Care Health Services in Potomac.

Mrs. Barie was born in Toledo and moved to Washington in 1937. She graduated from the old Western High School. She received a bachelor's degree in Spanish from Thiel College in Pennsylvania.

In the 1950s, she did clerical work for the State Department and the Woodward & Lothrop department store.

Her interests included traveling and American interior decorative arts.

Survivors include her husband of 51 years, James F. Barie of Bethesda; a son, David J. Barie, also of Bethesda; and a brother.

Maurice Michael Wilhere Jr.

Insurance Executive

Maurice Michael Wilhere Jr., 77, for many years a Geico executive in Chevy Chase, died Aug. 30 of a heart attack en route to Shady Grove Adventist Hospital from his home in Derwood.

Mr. Wilhere, known as Mike, was born in Pittsburgh. From 1943 to 1945, he served in the Army and was stationed in the latter stages of World War II in Caserta, Italy.

He graduated from Duquesne University in 1951 with a bachelor's degree in business administration and worked at the university in the pharmacy department while attending law school at night. He received his law degree from Duquesne in 1956.

He moved to Washington in 1960, and to Derwood in 1966. A staff liability administrator at Geico, he retired in 1992 after 32 years with the Chevy Chase-based insurance company.

Mr. Wilhere enjoyed foreign travel, bowling in the Geico league and building and repairing chime clocks for friends.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Susan Megeath Wilhere of Derwood, and a brother.