Southern Maryland Hospital Center is accepting registrations for a free 12-week parenting class.
The classes will meet 6-8 p.m. Fridays in the Southern Maryland Hospital Center library. Enrollment will determine the starting date for the course. To enroll, call Karen Newsome at 301-909-2319.
New Hours at Lackey Pool
The hours for community use of the indoor Lackey High School swimming pool have changed to accommodate the opening of the new school year.
Fall hours for the pool will be 2:30-9 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon-6 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays. These hours will remain in effect through Nov. 14.
With hurricane season is here, the Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative is reminding residents to prepare for outages caused by strong winds and rain that could knock down power lines.
Here are some things people can do to prepare:
* If someone depends on electricity to operate life support systems, make plans for alternate sources of power or alternate lodging. The local fire department may offer temporary shelter.
* Keep flashlights and fresh batteries on hand.
* Stock nonperishable foods and have a manual can opener available. The ideal choices are foods that require no cooking.
* If your home is connected to a well, store extra water in clean jugs, bathtubs or laundry tubs.
* Keep a battery-powered radio with fresh batteries.
* Make sure that you have a standard phone available. Cordless phones do not work without electricity.
* If the power goes out, call SMECO's Outage Hotline at 877-74-SMECO or 877-747-6326).
The Calvert County Lions Club is selling chances to win a restored 1974 Harley-Davidson, with proceeds from the fundraising raffle going to support the organization's work to benefit hearing- and sight-impaired people.
Two thousand tickets will be sold at $10 each or a pack of six chances for $50, with the drawing held on Christmas.
The Harley will be on display at all three Southern Maryland county fairs this month as well as at other events throughout the area. Raffle chances are also available by mailing a self-addressed, stamped envelope with check or money order to the Calvert County Lions Club, 8919 Stratford Court, Owings, Md. 20736. For more information, contact Mike Tsourounis, president of the Calvert County Lions Club, at 301-855-1965 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- Compiled by SUSAN BARTON