George 'Kip' Cornwell

Western Union Official

George Clifton "Kip" Cornwell, 95, who spent his entire career with the Western Union telegraph company, died Sept. 1 of kidney disease at Friends House, a retirement community in Sandy Spring, where he lived.

A native of Washington, Mr. Cornwell grew up in Northeast Washington and graduated from Eastern High School. He began his career with Western Union when he was 14, delivering telegrams. When he retired in 1970, he was a sales executive working on Capitol Hill. He often visited congressional offices and the White House to handle company accounts.

He lived in Rockville from the late 1930s until the early 1970s, when he and his wife moved to Eustis, Fla. They returned to the Washington area in 1994, living at Friends House.

His interests included electronics, travel, woodworking and playing the accordion.

His wife of 70 years, Dorothy Chapman "Dot" Cornwell, died in 1998.

Survivors include three sons, George C. Cornwell Jr. of Bowie, William J. Cornwell of Eldersburg, Md., and John C. Cornwell of Houston; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Eugene Irving Mosby

Grocery Worker, Taxi Driver

Eugene Irving Mosby, 73, who drove a taxi in Washington after working for two area grocery stores, died of colon cancer Sept. 9 at Heartland Health Care Center in Hyattsville.

A Washington native and resident, Mr. Mosby graduated from Phelps High School. He then worked at Snyder's Grocery Store in Silver Spring in the produce department for about 20 years. In the 1970s, he began working for Jumbo Foods in Washington and was there for about 14 years.

He then operated a shoeshine stand at a barber shop in L'Enfant Plaza before retiring in the early 1990s.

After retirement, he drove a taxi in Washington until his health failed in 1995. He enjoyed talking with the people he ferried around town.

Mr. Mosby was a jazz lover with a preference for the musical stylings of John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt and others from that era. He frequented jazz concerts at the Kennedy Center, churches and other venues.

Survivors include his father, Joseph W. Mosby of Washington, and a sister, Gloria Watson of Largo.

Charles W. Munnerlyn

Property Manager

Charles W. Munnerlyn, 80, a building engineer and property manager for more than 50 years, died Sept. 3 of congestive heart failure at Casey House hospice in Rockville. He lived in Laurel.

He had been a resident of the Washington area since 1948, when he worked for the old Wardman Park hotel. He attended night school for three years until he became a licensed building engineer.

In the 1950s and 1960s, he was building engineer for Neisner's, a department store in downtown Washington. He later worked as a property manager with Litton Industries, a contracting firm in Bethesda, until 1986. From 1986 to 2000, he was a property manager for Colliers Pinkard, a commercial real estate firm in Columbia.

Mr. Munnerlyn was born in Newport News, Va., and raised in Rocky Mount, N.C. He enlisted in the Navy at age 17 and during World War II served in the engine room of the Claxton, a destroyer that came under Japanese attack in the South Pacific. He spent eight years in the Navy, later serving in the North Atlantic.

He lived in Bladensburg for about 20 years before spending the last 25 years of his life in Laurel. He was a deacon at Laurel Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Doris Munnerlyn of Laurel; a daughter, Charla Phillips of Columbia; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Pedro Nunez de Villavicencio

Airline Reservationist

Pedro Nunez de Villavicencio, 79, who worked in reservations for Pam Am World Airways from 1964 until retiring in 1991, died of vascular disease Sept. 7 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Before working for Pan Am, Mr. Nunez was a sales agent for Cunard Cruises in Cuba.

Mr. Nunez was born in Santiago de las Vegas, Cuba. He left Cuba in 1961, ending up first in New Orleans and then moving to Washington.

Since emigrating from Cuba, he helped about 25 family members come to this country, including his parents, said his nephew, Gianpaolo Sinicropi of Jackson Heights, N.Y.

"Some of the family members could not come directly here, so he provided the finances and paperwork to help them go to Spain first," Sinicropi said.

He had been a longtime volunteer, and since his retirement an altar server, at St. Matthew's Catholic Cathedral in Washington.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

Jacob Richard Filipovich


Jacob Richard Filipovich, 82, a carpenter and longtime Alexandria resident, died of pneumonia Sept. 6 at his home.

Mr. Filipovich was born in Boswell, Pa., and joined the Coast Guard in 1942, serving on the Shreveport. He was discharged in 1946 and went to work as a coal miner for Crucible Steel Co. in Crucible, Pa. When the mine shut in 1960, he moved to Alexandria and took a job as chief of maintenance with builder John McPherson.

In 1972, Mr. Filipovich became a self-employed carpenter, working until 1983. In retirement, he enjoyed fishing, gardening and working with his hands.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Mary Filipovich of Alexandria; a son, Jack Filipovich of Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.; two daughters, Mallory Congleton and Karla Barnes, both of Augusta, Ga.; two brothers; three sisters; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.