Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in Location Key.
Information on liposuction, breast augmentation and facial rejuvenation from Michael Chiaramonte, chairman of plastic surgery at Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 29, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Registration required. Free. 301-877-5700.
VISITING NURSES ASSOCIATION EXPANDS
MedStarHealth Visiting Nurses Association's new office in Camp Springs will offer home care in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and southern Prince George's counties. Services include wound care, infusion and rehabilitation. Specialty care in cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, ostomy, oncology, stroke and joint replacement rehabilitation, diabetes, maternal/child health, pediatrics and respiratory therapy is available. Call 301-931-3100.
Learn about a variety of health care careers. Get information on education requirements, talk to local employees and professionals. Find out about scholarship opportunities and tuition assistance, attend on-site interviews and view displays. 3-6 p.m. Oct. 20, Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, 3090 Crain Hwy., Waldorf. Free. 301-934-7776.
Explore the uses of pure essential oils through a variety of applications. Make aromatherapy oil to take home. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 18, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration and pre-payment required. $20.
GIRLS' NIGHT OUT
Health experts, activities and free, low-cost health screenings and seated massages. Sponsored by Calvert Memorial Hospital. 5-8 p.m. Sept. 21, Solomons Medical Center (15). $7.
CIVISTA ON THE LINE
Civista Medical Center offers free referrals of medical staff. Callers can also register for Civista-sponsored events and classes and receive information on health-related county resources. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 888-332-4847.
FREEDOM FROM SMOKING
Seven-week course sponsored by Civista Health and American Lung Association. Call for dates and times. Civista Medical Center (8). $40. 301-609-4327.
The Southern Maryland chapter of the Ostomy Association of America is available to anyone seeking information. Call Jerry Kluckman at 410-326-2207.
ASTHMA AND ALLERGY CENTER
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers a detailed evaluation including complete medical history, physical examination, consultation with a pulmonologist and a breathing test. Call 301-877-4616.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers transportation for outpatient services when personal transportation is not available. Call 301-877-4357.
SMOKING CESSATION PROGRAM
Offered by the Charles County Health Department, this program utilizes the nicotine patch and individual consultations. 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays, beginning Sept. 14, for 10 weeks, Charles County Health Department, 4545 Crain Hwy., White Plains. Free. 301-609-6935.
"ANGELS HAVE WHEELS"
Medicare recipients who suffer from arthritis, cardiovascular disease or respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. For more information, call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
* Includes a PSA blood test and a digital rectal exam for men age 50 and older (40 and older for African American men) or those who have a family history of prostate cancer. 4:30-6 p.m. Sept. 28, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); Sept. 29, Dunkirk Medical Center (10); Oct. 5, Solomons Medical Center (15). Free. Appointments required. 410-535-8233.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. Free. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings 1-3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of each month in La Plata. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings 11 a.m.-noon the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (13) offers screenings 10-11 a.m. the first Friday of each month. Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers screenings noon-8 p.m. Thursdays in the hospital solarium. Free.
* St. Mary's Medical Center at Charlotte Hall (301-290-1499) offers screenings 9 a.m.-noon the first Friday of the month; St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers screenings the second Friday of each month in the lobby.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers whole-body scans, including specialized scans that provide a detailed look inside the coronary arteries and the heart. Call 410-414-4782.
A free monthly discussion focusing on women of all ages. This month, "What Every Woman Needs to Know About Men's Health," 7-8 p.m. Oct. 19, Molly Claire Tea Room at the Berry Patch, Route 231, Prince Frederick.
Two-hour workshop to learn techniques of walking and breathing to awaken your mind, body and spirit. 9-11 a.m., Oct. 9, Solomons Medical Center (15). $35.
DIABETIC FOOT CARE
Get the latest information on symptoms and treatments as part of the "Ask the Doctor" community seminar series offered by Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 6:30-8 p.m. Sept. 30, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5700.
HEALTH AND WEIGHT
Lectures on maintaining a healthy weight. 7-8 p.m. Sept. 15, Leonardtown Library, Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-6019.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a variety of courses for CPR for adults, infants and children. Certification for health care providers. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times of classes.
STRESS MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP
Learn to look for signs of stress and how to take actions to reduce it. Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16), Colony South Hotel and Conference Center. Free. Call 301-877-7370, for dates and times of bimonthly classes.
COPING WITH CANCER
Designed to help female cancer patients cope with hair and skin changes during treatment. 10 a.m.-noon Sept. 18, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
Learn how many calories you need. Meet your weight goal with a personalized diet prepared by a registered dietician. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for appointment. $40.
COMPUTERIZED BODY COMPOSITION
* Have your body composition assessed. Receive a computer printout of your lean body mass and body fat and recommendations for optimal weight and weight loss. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for an appointment. $50.
* Get a fitness assessment from a certified fitness trainer. Tests evaluate muscle strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and body composition. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for an appointment. $50.
ON THE MOVE
Fitness program for teens, ages 13-18, who are overweight. Certified personal trainer teaches cardiovascular health, weight training and flexibility. 6-7:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 14-Oct. 21. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $90.
Certified personal trainer teaches kicking and punching techniques as well as upper and lower body strengthening to ages 13-18. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursdays, Sept. 14-Oct. 21, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $90.
Healthy Alternatives (12) offers basic exercises to condition and activate deep muscles, flatten abdominals and alleviate stress and tension. For class information, call 410-414-4507.
Learn gentle soft movements that help open joints, relax the body and center the mind. 24-Movement Taiji is also available. Call Healthy Alternatives (12) for more information, 410-414-4507.
FAD DIETS AND FITNESS TRENDS
Get updated on the latest popular diets and find out which plans work and are best for your schedule and body type. 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 20, Civista Women's Health Center (9). $10.
BABYSITTER TRAINING COURSE
Designed for beginning babysitters ages 11-13. Class includes first aid, rescue breathing, child safety, infant and child care. 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 18, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $39.
Useful for smoking cessation, weight reduction, stress management and more. Call Healthy Alternatives (12), 410-414-4507.
Treat depression, anxiety, migraines, nausea, infertility and more. Call Healthy Alternatives (12), 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
DIABETES SELF-MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program for people to learn to balance their lifestyle and diabetes. This program is covered by most health insurance plans. To schedule an appointment, call 410-414-4809.
* At St. Mary's Hospital (14), professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Call 301-475-6185.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
* Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare Inc. offers two hour classes at a variety of times and locations in Charles and St. Mary's counties. $5 each session. Call Carol Wright to register, 301-870-7816.
HEALTH TALK SPEAKERS BUREAU
Health care professionals are available to present programs on health topics at your place of business or to community groups. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety, and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
A demonstration to warn against tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children in grades 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
STRENGTH TRAINING FOR WOMEN
These ongoing exercise classes for women are designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. Certified instructors. 6:15-7:15 p.m. Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration not required. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. 888-332-4847.
* Healthy Alternatives provides yoga for all ages and all fitness levels. For class dates and times, call Healthy Alternatives (12), 410-414-4507.
* This ongoing class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, or 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. 888-332-4847.
* Beginning Yoga, an ongoing class for beginners, teaches flexibility exercises and relaxation and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 10-10:45 a.m. Mondays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Offered by Healthy Alternatives (12), Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements for relaxation. Learn simple movement exercises to maintain softness and range of motion. Clients remain fully clothed. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
GETTING READY TO HAVE A BABY
Three part series on preparing for pregnancy. Bring your spouse, friend or mother. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 6, "Getting Your Body Ready"; Oct. 13, "Moms Over 30"; and Oct. 20, "Creating the New Normal in Your Life." Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
INCREDIBLE YEARS PROGRAM
The Center for Children offers empowerment and problem-solving tips for parents and guardians in Charles and St. Mary's counties. For information on this and other programs offered by the center, call 301-609-9887 or 301-475-8860.
Twelve-week program designed to help strengthen families and prevent child abuse and neglect. Open to everyone interested in positive parenting practices. Begins 6-8 p.m. Sept. 24, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16). 800-243-7337.
Prepare children ages 2-8 for a new baby in the family. 2-3 p.m. today or Sept. 26, Civista Medical Center (8) lobby. $5; free to moms who deliver at Civista. Registration required.
* Comprehensive class includes certification for first aid and CPR for infants and children. Education and information on selecting car seats and cribs, baby-proofing your home and basic baby care. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. today, Civista Medical Center (8). $60.
PARENTING GROUP DISCUSSION
Develop skills necessary to deal with today's issues. The 10-week parenting and family values curriculum addresses issues of young children, adolescents and/or teenagers. 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Walden/Sierra Inc., 44871 St. Andrew's Church Rd., California. Sessions, $5 each; one-time workbook fee, $25. 301-863-6661.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
Expectant parents tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). A question-and-answer period follows. 2 p.m., the third Sunday of each month. Meet in the emergency room department. Free.
* Breast-Feeding Resource Center's certified lactation consultants will answer questions or provide a private consultation. Breast pumps and other items will be available for rent or purchase. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Call 301-997-6505 to talk to a lactation consultant.
CHILDBIRTH PREPARATION CLASSES
* Civista Health classes prepare you and support person and include a tour of the Family Birthing Center. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sept. 18, Civista's Antenatal Testing Center (6). $85, prepaid registration required. 888-332-4847.
* Nurturing Necessities class includes instruction on labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options and more. $100. Call 410-414-5414 for times and dates of classes.
St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers a series of monthly parenting classes, free to parents who plan to deliver their child at the hospital. Classes cover baby care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Call 301-475-6019 for times and dates of classes.
INFANT BRAIN DEVELOPMENT
Learn how the brain develops up to age 3, how to be ready for the next stage and how to maximize your child's intellectual and emotional potential. 6:30-8 p.m. tomorrow, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Free.
Tour the Family Birthing Center and visit the newborn nursery at Civista Medical Center (8). 6-7 p.m. Sept. 13 or 20. Free. Call 888-332-4847for times and registration.
St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers a six-week course that teaches hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to help relieve stress. You can begin the class any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
NEW PREGNANCY MASSAGE
Provided by a trained therapist. 5-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); 9 a.m.-noon, first and third Saturdays of each month, Dunkirk Medical Center (10); 4-7 p.m. first and third Saturdays of each month, and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays, Solomons Medical Center (15). One-hour session, $60. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
YOGA FOR PREGNANCY
Designed to help make pregnancy, labor and delivery more comfortable. Focuses on relaxation, breathing techniques and gentle posture. Must be 13 weeks pregnant. Physician consent required. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sept. 23-Oct. 28, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $51. 410-414-4507.
FOR WORKING MOMS
Share and learn how others successfully manage. Lactation consultants will be available to answer questions. 5-7 p.m. Sept. 28, Lexington Park library, Lexington Park. Free. 301-997-6505.
GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP
Hospice of St. Mary's sponsors this group for those grieving the loss of a loved one. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sept. 21, hospice office, Leonardtown Square, 22699 Washington St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-6423.
DEPRESSION SUPPORT GROUP
Discuss the facts about depression, including causes, types, treatments and symptoms. 7-8:30 p.m. Sept. 15, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Free.
Meet others coping with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Fall topics include: cancer awareness, medications and flu/pneumonia vaccinations. 6-7:30 p.m. Sept. 15, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Free.
Family members welcome. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16). Free.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210. For information on speakers and topics, call 410-414-4670.
Family members welcome. Fridays, Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times, 410-326-6655.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Carl Garland at 410-535-4461, Ext. 106.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. Call 301-932-6196.
* Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15) sponsors this group. 7:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
* Man to Man, an American Cancer Society support program, provides an opportunity to meet with health professionals and learn more about the disease, treatment options, survival issues, resources and more. 6-8 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8). Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) sponsors this group. 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free.
* 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* St. Mary's Hospital group welcomes family and friends. Snacks provided. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Free. 301-475-6070.
* Charles County Health Department is forming a support group for cancer survivors and their caregivers. 7-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Health Partners Clinic (11), next to the Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, Waldorf. Free. 301-743-7272.
2:30-4:30 p.m. the third Sunday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) library. Free.
For caregivers of any age who provide care for an older adult. 2 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
Friends and family welcome. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) library.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center support group open to family members. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
* Meets the first Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-414-4800 for times.
* Family members welcome. 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday (except holidays) of each month, Civista Medical Center (8) cafeteria. Registration not required.
* At Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For dates, times and topics, call 410-414-4527.
Meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline at 410-414-4783.
Open to all ages. Friends and family members welcome. Meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8).
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the third Sunday of the month. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.