Voters in Fairfax County, Fairfax City and the city of Falls Church will go to the polls Nov. 2 to choose a president and member of Congress and to decide among state constitutional amendments and bond issues.
The deadline to register to vote is Oct. 4. You must be at least 18 by Nov. 2, a U.S. citizen and a Virginia resident. Virginians do not register by party.
* To register in person in Fairfax County, go to the registrar's office between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. weekdays, located in Suite 323 of the Government Center, 12000 Government Center Pkwy. The phone number is 703-222-0776; for recorded information 24 hours a day, call 703-324-4700. If you want to register by mail, you can pick up an application at these locations: public libraries, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, military recruitment offices, public assistance agency offices, district government centers, Board of Supervisors offices, the citizen information desk in the county Government Center lobby or the information desk at the Judicial Center. You can also download an application from www.sbe.state.va.us/VotRegServ/reg2vote.htm#Virginia.
Mail applications to Office of the General Registrar, 12000 Government Center Pkwy., Suite 323, Fairfax, Va. 22035-0081.
* In the city of Falls Church, to register in person, obtain a registration application or get other voting information, visit the city registrar's office between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays, located in City Hall at 300 Park Ave., on the first floor in the east wing. The phone number is 703-248-5085. To download an application, go to www.sbe.state.va.us/VotRegServ/reg2vote.htm#Virginia.
Return applications to Deborah A. Taylor, registrar, City Hall, 300 Park Ave., Room 101E, Falls Church, Va. 22046-3332.
* In Fairfax City, stop by the registrar's office between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays at Sisson House, 10455 Armstrong St., Fairfax, Va. 22030. For information by phone, call 703-385-7890. An application can be downloaded from www.ci.fairfax.va.us/Registrar/RegisterToVote.asp. The application should be mailed to the city registrar at the above address.
Voting by Absentee Ballot
The deadline to request an application for absentee voting is Oct. 28 if you will be voting by mail. Ballots must be received by 7 p.m. Nov. 2 to be counted. The deadline for in-person absentee voting is Oct. 30; voting begins Sept. 20.
Applications can be downloaded at www.sbe.state.va.us/Election/AbsenteeVoting/absenteeBallotApp.pdf.
They can also be picked up from the registrar's office where you are registered to vote. In Fairfax County, the applications are available at government centers and libraries.
Information on hours and locations for in-person voting is available from the following sources:
* In Fairfax County, call 703-222-0776 or visit www.co.fairfax.va.us/gov/eb/absentee.htm.
* In Fairfax City, call 703-385-7890 or visit www.ci.fairfax.va.us/Registrar/RegisterToVote.asp.
* In the city of Falls Church, call 703-248-5085 or go to www.ci.falls-church.va.us/government/registrarOfVoters/absenteeVoting.html.