Raymond Franklin Russell Sr.
Raymond Franklin Russell Sr., 85, a longtime produce manager in grocery stores, died Sept. 9 of congestive heart failure at Providence Hospital.
A native of the District, Mr. Russell grew up in Southwest Washington and attended Armstrong High School. He began working for small neighborhood grocery stores as a young man before working for stores in Virginia.
He spent more than 30 years as produce manager of the old A&P Best Foods grocery in Coral Hills before retiring in 1991. He lived in Southeast Washington.
His wife of 47 years, Frances Hawkins Russell, died in 1993. His son, Raymond F. "Jack" Russell Jr., died in 1989.
Survivors include two daughters, Frances R. Christian and Barbara D. Brooks, both of Washington; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.
Liston Burns Bevard Sr.
Service Station Owner
Liston Burns Bevard Sr., 75, a retired service station owner and independent trucker, died of cancer Sept. 8 at his home in New Carrollton.
Mr. Bevard, known to family and friends as "Lit," was born in Baltimore, raised on a farm in Sykesville, Md., and attended Sykesville High School. He joined the Navy at age 17, serving aboard submarine support ships, and completed submariner training during the waning months of World War II. He was discharged in 1948.
Mr. Bevard worked for the electrical diesel division of General Motors in Baltimore. He moved to the Washington area in 1956, and with his brother Jim, he started an auto repair service, a career he would leave to venture into the long-haul trucking business for about 10 years.
He resumed his career in automotive repair in the 1970s, working with his brother again, in several service station ventures. In 1983, Mr. Bevard founded his own business, Bevard & Son Auto Service, in Seabrook, from which he retired in 1996.
Mr. Bevard was a member of the Teamsters union and supported the Boys and Girls Clubs, the former Men's Club of New Carrollton and numerous civic associations. A skilled carpenter and mechanic, he helped his church, neighbors and family with all sort of construction and repair projects.
In retirement, he rekindled a passion for restoring vintage Ford vehicles, including a 1941 pickup, with which he earned the highest awards from the Antique Automobile Club of America as well as the Early Ford V-8 Club of America.
Mr. Bevard was a member of Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Lanham.
Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Kathlyn J. Bevard, of New Carrollton; two sons, Liston Bevard Jr. of Walnut Creek, Calif., and William Bevard of Davidsonville; a daughter, Laura Hunter of Seabrook; a sister, Virginia Bevard Clise of Sykesville; and six grandchildren.
Robert C. 'Gus' Watson
Lawyer, Substitute Judge
Robert C. "Gus" Watson, 75, a former Fairfax lawyer and substitute judge, died Sept. 7 at Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore of injuries suffered in an auto accident Sept 3. He lived in Sherwood Forest.
Mr. Watson was appointed in 1990 as a substitute judge for Fairfax County General District Court and Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. He retired from the judgeships and the practice of law in 1998.
Born in Washington, Mr. Watson lived there until he was 15. He moved with his mother to Arlington and graduated from Washington-Lee High School. He received a bachelor's degree in 1953 from George Washington University and a law degree in 1958 from the GWU law school.
He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps and served in the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines. He resigned from the Reserves as a captain in 1965.
Mr. Watson was appointed deputy clerk of the Circuit Court of Arlington in 1958 and later that year was appointed an assistant commonwealth's attorney in Arlington. He served until 1963.
He then began a solo law practice in Fairfax. He also built and developed the Colonial Funeral Home on Leesburg Pike. In 1992, he sold the funeral home to Everly's Funeral Services.
After retirement, he and his wife moved from Alexandria to Sherwood Forest on the Severn River in Maryland.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Watson of Sherwood Forest; three children, Peter Blair Watson of Fairfax, Suzanne Strejeck of Sherwood Forest and Christopher Ormston Watson of Edgewater; and three grandchildren.
Robert David Misner
Robert David Misner, 84, an electronics scientist who spent nearly four decades at the Naval Research Laboratory, died Aug. 28 of complications from a stroke at Inova Cameron Glen Care Center in Reston.
Mr. Misner specialized in electronic warfare, intelligence and magnetic recording research. He was noted for his work on radio countermeasures and intelligence/crypto logic. His basic work in magnetic recording helped pave the way for today's VCRs.
Mr. Misner was born in Waynesville, Ill. He attended Illinois Wesleyan University and George Washington University before World War II and received his degree in physics from GWU in 1946.
His career with the Naval Research Laboratory began in 1942. After two years in the Navy, 1944-45, he returned to NRL, where he worked until his retirement in 1984. He remained as a consultant until 1997.
In 1998, Mr. Misner received the Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award and the Silver Medal for Electronic Warfare Technology for his work on the Navy's first reconnaissance satellite. He also worked on the Navy's High Frequency Direction Finding System, which was recognized as one of the NRL's 75 greatest accomplishments.
He was the Navy's leading expert on high-performance, wide-bandwidth, high-dynamic-range instrumentation tape recorders. In addition, his work with the laboratory's Signal Exploitation Branch resulted in significant contributions to the Navy's ability to intercept, identify and counter enemy communications signals. In retirement, he founded MEMRE, an engineering and consulting business that furnished data-recording research, production and equipment.
He also was a lifelong farmer. He managed the family farm in Illinois and enjoyed applying soil conservation and wildlife protection principles to the land. He was a member of Mount Vernon United Methodist Church in Alexandria, where he had lived since 1981.
His wife, Virginia Bernice Fuehrer, died in 1999.
Survivors include two daughters, Robin Beth Boatman of Woodbridge and Christie Marie Motley of Alexandria; and five grandchildren.
Leonard R. Kojm
Leonard R. Kojm, 78, a Navy captain who retired from active military duty in 1975 as director of Navy liaison with the U.S. Senate, died Sept. 7 after a series of strokes at his home in Springfield.
Over the course of his 31-year naval career, Capt. Kojm served as a submarine captain, submarine division commander, captain of the fleet oiler USS Ponchatoula and public information officer.
He received the Legion of Merit, among other military decorations.
After retiring from the military, he worked on defense programs for the Energy Department until 1984. He initially helped lead the agency's congressional affairs office, then worked as director of communication in the Office of Science Education and Technical Information before finally working as a special assistant on nuclear and national security issues.
Capt. Kojm was a native of Cheektowaga, N.Y. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1947 and received a master's degree in public relations in 1956. He also did graduate work at the Naval War College.
He was a former member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church and of civic leagues in Arlington, where he lived for 33 years before moving to Springfield in 2003.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Anne Kojm of Springfield; two children, Rebecca Kojm of Falls Church and Navy Capt. Leonard Kojm Jr. of Springfield; three brothers; and two grandchildren.
Marion V. 'Hampy' Paladini
Volunteer, Eastern Star Officer
Marion V. "Hampy" Paladini, 87, a native Washingtonian who volunteered at Mariner Health of Circle Manor Nursing Home in Kensington for more than 20 years, died Sept. 10 at her home in Chevy Chase after a heart attack.
Mrs. Paladini grew up in the District's Tenleytown area and attended Western High School. In 1941, she married Louis C. Paladini, founder of Madison National Bank in Washington. He died in 1980.
At the nursing home, Mrs. Paladini served as a confidante and counselor to the residents.
Mrs. Paladini was a member of Columbia Country Club, Eldbrooke United Methodist Church in Washington and St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Kensington.
She also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star of the District, rising to worthy matron and grand marshal.
She is survived by a brother, William A. Volkman Jr. of Kensington.
William P.G. Dodson
William Percy Gillette Dodson, 81, an Arlington orthodontist, died Sept. 10 of intracranial hemorrhages at Inova Fairfax Hospital.
Dr. Dodson was born in Norfolk. He graduated from Randolph Macon College in 1944 and received his doctorate of dental science degree from the University of Maryland School of Dental Surgery in 1948.
After a one-year internship at Children's Hospital in Boston, he served as a dental officer in the Navy from 1949 to 1952. He received his certificate in orthodontics from the Graduate School of Dental Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania in 1954.
Dr. Dodson practiced in Arlington for more than 50 years and had a branch office in Fredericksburg from 1954 to 1994.
An Alexandria resident for more than 40 years, he was a member and former president of the Seminary Hill Association and a former vestryman of the Falls Church Episcopal Church. An avid gardener, he was involved in the church's "Stewards of the Dirt" program and served as a greeter on Sundays. He also was active in Meals on Wheels and the Arlington Rotary Club.
Dr. Dodson was the founder and a former president of the Virginia Orthodontic Association.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Dorothy Dodson of Alexandria; three children, Richard Dodson of Fredericksburg, Dr. John Dodson of Gettysburg, Pa., and Ann Lindsay of Benicia, Calif.; two sisters; a brother; and four grandchildren.
Paul Collins, 59, who had co-owned and operated Collins Produce and Plants in Bowie since 1978, died Sept. 12 at his home in Glenn Dale. He had liver cancer.
Mr. Collins was a native Washingtonian and a 1963 graduate of St. John's College High School.
He was a lithographer at Creative Printing early in his career. His ran his Bowie business with his second wife.
He was a former president of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in the Washington area.
His other memberships included Ascension Catholic Church in Bowie, the Elks and the Knights of Columbus. He was a civilian member of the Police Emerald Society of the Washington Area.
He made several trips to Ireland to research his family genealogy.
His marriage to Donna Driscoll Collins ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Rosa Cordova "Mira" Collins of Glenn Dale; two children from the first marriage, James Collins of Riverdale and Lori Anello of Cincinnati; two children from the second marriage, Catherine Collins and Sean Collins, both of Glenn Dale; a brother, Francis "Buck" Collins of Centreville; two sisters, Mary Lou Cross of Rockville and Cecelia Colesanti of Fort Myers, Fla.; and two grandchildren.
John V. Hagee
Foreign Service Officer
John V. Hagee, 65, a retired Foreign Service officer, died of cancer Sept. 11 at Arlington Hospice Center. He was a Herndon resident.
Mr. Hagee specialized in communications in the foreign service. He worked for the State Department from the late 1950s until his retirement in 1991.
He was born in Philadelphia and served in the Army in Japan in the late 1950s. He then joined the State Department, working in Paris, Damascus, India, Africa and Taiwan as well as other posts.
Mr. Hagee enjoyed fishing and was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Yin Hagee of Herndon; three sons, Robert Hagee of Leesburg, and Daniel Hagee and Paul Hagee, both of Herndon; and two grandchildren.