Charles Langley

Marine Colonel

Charles Francis "Chuck" Langley, 81, a retired Marine Corps colonel who worked in supply and logistics, died of cancer Aug. 19 at his home near Cape Charles, Va.

Col. Langley, who was a native of New Haven, Conn., enlisted in the Marine Corps in September 1941, completing his basic training six days after the attack on Pearl Harbor.

He entered Dartmouth as part of the Navy V-12 program in 1943 and, after attending platoon leaders' class at Quantico, was commissioned and stationed at Marine Corps headquarters in Washington.

He served in the Washington area, on and off, for the next 25 years, residing in Silver Spring, the District, Arlington and Alexandria. He returned to Dartmouth to complete his degree in political science and later received a master's degree in business administration from the University of Michigan in 1959. He graduated from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1970.

Col. Langley's military service included tours of duty in Korea, Vietnam and Japan, and he also served at the Pentagon. In 1975, he retired as chief of staff of the Marine Corps Supply Center in Barstow, Calif. He later re-entered the workforce as operations manager, materiel management department at the University of California San Francisco.

In 1990, he retired to live in Cape Charles, where he developed an interest in the history of Virginia's Eastern Shore. He was also active in the Red Cross and in veterans' affairs.

His marriage to Marie Lindenberg ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Diane Bagusis Langley of Cape Charles; two children from his first marriage, Charles Bradford Langley of Ellicott City and Cynthia Anne Langley of Washington; six half brothers and half sisters; and three grandchildren.

Ray William Whitson

Army Colonel, Pipeline Expert

Ray William Whitson, 95, a retired Army colonel and authority on oil pipelines, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 19 at the Jefferson, an Arlington retirement community in which he lived.

After he was drafted into the Army in 1941, Col. Whitson was assigned to the Quartermaster Corps, where he acquired his expertise in oil pipelines. He helped distribute petroleum to Allied forces in North Africa during World War II and was part of an Army unit that built an oil pipeline in France.

During the Korean War, he worked in logistics for the Eighth Army. He served in Japan, France and at the Pentagon until he retired in 1963 with the rank of colonel. Among his decorations were the Bronze Star Medal, for meritorious service in World War II, and two awards of the Legion of Merit.

After his military service, Col. Whitson was a consultant on oil pipelines to various governmental agencies and private companies, including the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Department of Energy, the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association and the Gulf Oil Co. He retired in 1986.

Col. Whitson was born in Iola, Kan., and grew up near Bartlesville, Okla. He received a bachelor's degree in petroleum engineering from the University of Oklahoma.

He lived in various Northern Virginia communities, including Arlington, McLean and Fairfax, for more than 50 years. He was a member of the officers' club at Fort Myer.

His hobbies included writing and genealogy. At age 90, he wrote a family history.

His marriage to Corelia McCray Whitson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 36 years, Emily P. Whitson of Arlington; a daughter from his first marriage, Donna Jane Asimont of Sunland, Calif.; and a grandson.

Karen K. 'Kae' Rairdin

Federal Official

Karen K. "Kae" Rairdin, 66, a Reagan White House official who later worked at the U.S. Department of Education, died Sept. 8 of emphysema at her home in Nokomis, Fla.

Mrs. Rairdin came to Washington in 1980 as director of housing and logistics for the presidential inaugural committee for the first inauguration of President Ronald W. Reagan. From 1981 to 1985, she served as Deputy Undersecretary for Intergovernmental Affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services.

She returned to the White House as special assistant to the president for intergovernmental affairs, managing relations with state legislatures, from 1985 to 1989. After Reagan left office, Mrs. Rairdin joined the Office of Legislation and Congressional Affairs at the Department of Education as special assistant to the assistant secretary. She remained in that position until she retired in 2002.

Mrs. Rairdin was born in Des Moines. She attended Rockford College in Rockford, Ill., and, while working in Washington, graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.

As a young woman, she lived in Arlington Heights, Ill., and became active in many Republican organizations and political campaigns across the Midwest and South. An early supporter of Reagan's, she first met the future president in 1975 and was invited to Washington after his election in 1980 to help with the inauguration.

She lived in Arlington until moving to Florida in 2002.

Survivors include her husband of 48 years, Gordon Rairdin of Nokomis; and two daughters, Julie Rhae Rairdin of Arlington Heights, Ill., and Robin Kae Nystrom of Deerfield, Ill.

Gertrude Hausle Worrell


Gertrude "Trudi" Hausle Worrell, 88, an artist who was a member of the Swiss Club of D.C., died Sept. 5 at the Comfort Cottage assisted-living facility in Fairfax. She had complications from strokes and asthma.

Mrs. Worrell, who was born in St. Gallen, Switzerland, studied art at the Kunstgewerbeschule of Zurich and was a dressmaker.

She emigrated to Panama in 1938 with a group of Swiss pioneers to carve out farms from wild land in northern Panama near the Costa Rican border. Mrs. Worrell and others chopped their way through dense vegetation with machetes, built roads and bridges and raised coffee, bananas and other crops. She also trained horses.

She described their adventures in her self-illustrated book, "Bridge the Chiriqui Viejo," published in Switzerland in 1993.

During World War II, she met and married Ray Russell Worrell, who was stationed with the U.S. Navy in the Panama Canal Zone. She traveled with him to his postings in the United States and Canada. She became a U.S. citizen in 1948.

Her husband died in 1982.

Mrs. Worrell, a Fairfax resident since 1957, was a homemaker who enjoyed drawing and painting. She was always inventing something, her daughter said. In the mid-1990s, she created a Christmas tree ornament of a little mouse in a matchbox that won a Family Circle magazine contest. Her ornament was among those hung on a White House Christmas tree.

She was a member of the Swiss Benevolent Society and the Stauffacherin, a group of Swiss women associated with the Swiss Embassy.

Survivors include two children, Yvonne Worrell Pover of Alexandria and Joe Worrell of Arlington; a granddaughter; a great grandson; a half brother; and a half sister.

Antoinette 'Nettie' Pera

PBS Employee

Antoinette "Nettie" Pera, 72, who worked for the Public Broadcasting System in Alexandria, died of cancer Sept. 10 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital.

She was born in New York City and raised in Pelham, N.Y. She married and raised children, and from 1971 to 1988 worked as a senior clerk with the Greene County (N.Y) public health nursing service. She attended business administration classes in night school at Columbia-Greene Community College in Upstate New York, and made the president's honor roll.

Mrs. Pera moved to Alexandria in 1988 and worked for the Public Broadcasting Service, retiring after 10 years as assistant director for elementary and secondary services in the education department.

She competed in 1999 in the Northern Virginia Senior Olympics in Richmond and won gold, silver and bronze medals in running and Frisbee-throwing, among other events. She also enjoyed traveling and line-dancing.

Her marriage to Dante Pera ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Nicholas Pera of Alexandria, Nanette Hutto of Tyler, Texas, and Christine Weaver of Oakton; and three grandchildren.

James Russell Tureman

Physician, Howard Professor

James Russell Tureman, 89, a Washington physician and Howard University professor emeritus of pharmacology, died of cancer Sept. 7 at Genesis Woodside Center in Silver Spring. He was a Washington resident.

He was twice named Howard's outstanding teacher of the year by students. He taught more than 5,000 students during his 50-year career.

As a medical researcher, he published more than 40 articles and monographs, many dealing with kidney and cardiovascular functions. He, along with Arnold H. Maloney and Walter M. Booker, published studies on the anesthetic properties of pentothal sodium that are considered landmark works.

He was born in Demopolis, Ala., and graduated from Talladega College with a degree in chemistry in 1938 and from the Howard University College of Medicine in 1944. Dr. Tureman began a private practice in 1946. In 1947, he was recruited to join the fledgling pharmacology department at Howard.

He served two years in the Navy at the Bethesda Naval Research Institute, retiring in 1970 as a commander.

He was a member of the scientific research society Sigma Xi, the Medical Chirurgical Society of D.C., which is part of the National Medical Association, of which he was a lifetime member. That society gave him a lifetime achievement award in 1999.

Dr. Tureman also was a member of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and the American Society for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. He served for five years on a U.S. Food and Drug Administration committee to review and evaluate data about the safety and effectiveness of over-the-counter drug products.

His wife of 63 years, Paulyne Robb Tureman, died in 2000.

Survivors include two daughters, Dr. Lillian Tureman Durham of Washington and Dr. Robbyn Tureman Steiner of Fort Washington; and three grandchildren.

Eva Lee Woo


Eva Lee Woo, 86, a former dietitian and longtime volunteer for Washington organizations, died Sept. 5 at Suburban Hospital of systemic emboli, a heart ailment. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Woo came to the Washington area with her husband, an Army officer, in 1948. She was a volunteer with Call for Action, a consumer advocacy group, and the Salvation Army Women's Auxiliary. She helped raise money for the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Rescue Squad and was a member of the Chinese Community Church in Washington.

She was born in New York and grew up in a traditional Chinese household, speaking both Chinese and English. She was pianist for a Chinese-American musical group in the 1930s. She graduated from Hunter College in New York and did graduate work at Columbia University.

She was a dietitian at Bellevue Hospital in New York before World War II. During the war, she worked in a parts factory in New York and volunteered for a women's service organization benefiting Chinese-American troops. She later worked in the foreign currency division of the Bank of China in New York.

Mrs. Woo moved with her family from Washington to Franconia in the mid-1950s before moving to Bethesda in 1964. For the past nine years, she had lived in Maplewood Park Place, a senior living facility in Bethesda.

Her husband of 28 years, retired Army Lt. Col. Harry Woo, died in 1976.

Survivors include two sons, Walter Wing Woo of Upper Marlboro and Michael Tuck Woo of Rockville; and two sisters, Virginia Mead of Bethesda and Florence Chun of Honolulu.

Janice McCamey Porter

Elementary School Teacher

Janice McCamey Porter, 56, a retired D.C. public elementary school teacher who later helped prison inmates obtain their GEDs, died of cancer Aug. 29 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Upper Marlboro.

Mrs. Porter taught in D.C. public schools for 27 years. For most of these years, she taught first- and second-graders at McGogney Elementary School in Southeast Washington. She also worked at Syphax Elementary School in Southwest as a reading specialist for all grades. She retired in 1996.

She then worked at the Prince George's County Correctional Facility in Upper Marlboro for about seven years. She started as a mail clerk, and after a year moved into the training unit. She taught classes and helped inmates earn their general equivalency diplomas.

Mrs. Porter, a Washington native, graduated from Spingarn High School. She received a bachelor's degree from the former D.C. Teachers College and a master's degree in education from Howard University.

Known to family and friends as "The Road Runner," Mrs. Porter loved to go family reunions, dances, football games, festivals, fairs and on shopping trips. She always said, "Life is for living," said her sister.

She was a loyal Washington Redskins fan and would proudly sing all of the words to "Hail to the Redskins."

She was a member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority and was the Club YA DA DA, a social club of African American women devoted to supporting each other and their children.

Survivors include her husband of 30 years, Ernest H. Porter of Upper Marlboro; a daughter, Patrice N. Porter of Upper Marlboro; a sister, Carolyn M. Taylor of Laurel; and a brother, Ronald G. McCamey of Washington.

Flora Smith Schroebel

GWU Private-Duty Nurse

Flora Elizabeth Smith Schroebel, 99, a private-duty nurse at George Washington University Hospital, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 2 at Inova Commonwealth Care Center in Fairfax City.

Mrs. Schroebel came to Washington from her native North Carolina in the mid-1920s as a nursing student. She graduated from the George Washington University school of nursing in 1928. After working in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and New York, she returned to Washington in 1932.

She worked for more than 40 years as a private-duty nurse at GWU Hospital, assigned to one patient at a time. She retired in 1975.

In retirement, she continued to work as a home-duty nurse and companion for private patients into her eighties.

Mrs. Schroebel was born near Smithville, N.C. She overcame severe burns as a child. At age 11, after the death of her mother, she began managing her family's household. She graduated from Brevard Institute (now Brevard College) in North Carolina before coming to Washington to study nursing.

She lived in the District from 1932 to 1980. She lived in Arlington County for four years before moving to Fairfax in 1984. She was a longtime member of Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.

Her marriage to George Schroebel ended in divorce.

Survivors include her daughter, Elva Card of Fairfax; three grandsons; and one great-grandson.

Fumiko Kuhara Winters

Humane Society Volunteer

Fumiko Kuhara Winters, 75, a dog lover who volunteered for the Montgomery County Humane Society, died of complications of lung cancer Aug. 30 at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington. She lived in Bethesda.

In the past 20 years, she became devoted to rescuing abandoned dogs, particularly Siberian huskies. She found homes for dozens of dogs and, at the time of her death, had 10 dogs in kennels and another five at her home. She was vice president of the Montgomery County Humane Society in the 1980s.

Mrs. Winters was born in Tokyo to a wealthy family. Her father, Fusanoske Kuhara, was the founder of a mining company and was later a leading political figure in Japan. Mrs. Winters graduated from Seijo Junior College in Japan and was an accomplished tennis player in her youth, participating in tournaments. She continued to play recreational tennis in the Washington area.

Mrs. Winters came to the United States in 1956 to study English at the University of Michigan. After working for Japanese import firms in New York from 1957 to 1961, she was returning to Japan with her family when she met her future husband, an engineer, in Hawaii.

The couple lived in Japan for one year before moving to Bethesda in 1962.

They also lived in Germany, Bangkok, Honolulu and Los Angeles for extended periods.

Survivors include her husband of 43 years, William Winters of Bethesda; a daughter, Caroline Winters of Bethesda; four sisters; one brother; and a granddaughter.