Dulles Town Center mall is holding a silent auction to raise money for the reward for information about Erica Heather Smith's killer.

Smith, 14, left her family's Ashburn townhouse July 29, 2002, and never returned. Her body was found 11 days later in a shallow grave in Beaumeade Corporate Park near Loudoun County Parkway.

More than two years later, Loudoun County sheriff's detectives say they are still tracking down leads and conducting interviews and remain convinced that a break in the case is only a phone call away.

Smith's father, William Smith Jr., has worked at the UPS outlet in the mall since it opened in November 1999.

"We've wanted to do something for a long time," said mall spokeswoman Alison Fischer-Stasiowski. "When Erica was missing . . . Dulles Town Center merchants raised thousands of dollars that went to Crime Solvers."

Items to be auctioned include two round-trip tickets to anywhere that Independence Air flies, a $2,000 shopping spree at the mall, baskets of Godiva chocolate, a $350 Aurora gold cap Italian fountain pen donated by Bertram's Inkwell and a $600 pair of prescription glasses donated by LensCrafters.

All proceeds from the auction will go to the reward fund, which is now about $11,000. The Smith family raised about $5,000 toward the reward, Crime Solvers put up about $1,000 and a national foundation that assists families affected by violent crime offered $5,000 for information leading to a conviction in Smith's killing. The Carole Sund/Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation was established in honor of three women who were killed on a trip to Yosemite National Park in 1999.

The Erica Heather Smith Fundraising Auction will be held from 8 to 11 p.m. Oct. 23 at the Courtyard by Marriott Dulles Town Center Hotel, 45500 Majestic Dr., Sterling. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the Dulles Town Center management office on the mall's second floor or by calling 240-393-3151. Businesses interested in donating an item for the auction should call 703-404-7100, Ext. 223.


Erica Heather Smith died in 2002.