The following groups in Southern Maryland need volunteer help for a day, a week or on a regular basis.

Birthright of Prince Frederick needs volunteers to work with pregnant women in crisis at its center on Armory Road. Call Patricia Kelly at 410-535-3593.

St. Mary's County Library needs volunteers to greet and assist with many school classes, families and visitors during the "NASA at the Library" exhibit, which will run from mid-December through mid-January. Training is provided. Call Amy Ford at 301-863-8188 or visit

The Center for Children is in need of volunteers to assist with planning and helping before and during their annual holiday children's party. The party is scheduled for 5-9 p.m. Dec. 15. Volunteers must be 16 or older. Call Chana Smikle or Allison Bough at 301-609-9887.

Charles County Children's Aid Society needs volunteers throughout the year to help run yard sales, perform general office duties and assist with collecting new toys for the Christmas Connection Program. Slots are also open for new board members. Call Maria Bryan at 301-645-1561 or visit

Three Oaks Center, a shelter for homeless men, needs volunteer monitors on Saturdays and Sundays. Shifts are 8 a.m.-noon and noon-4 p.m. Volunteers must be able to commit to at least one shift a month. Training is provided. Call Ruben Berry at 301-863-9535.

Greyt Expectations Greyhound Rescue, a nonprofit greyhound rescue and adoption organization specializing in finding homes for retired racing greyhounds, needs people to work with and/or adopt the dogs. In St. Mary's call 301-373-4820 or in Calvert, or visit

Calvert Memorial Hospital needs volunteers in many areas throughout the hospital, including the gift shop, emergency department, information desk, patient shuttle, satellite facilities and many others. For more information, call 410-535-8212 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8212.

Community Support Systems, serving northern Charles and southern Prince George's counties, needs volunteers to assist with operating food tables at Food Pantry on Wednesday and Friday mornings. Help is also needed to set up displays, hand out brochures and answer questions on the agency's mission. Parent aides are needed weekly to provide emotional support, time and energy for a mother with small children. Call 301-372-1491.

Trico Corp. needs volunteers in its offices in Hollywood and Waldorf. Trico is an outpatient mental health and psychiatric rehabilitation clinic that provides care regardless of a client's ability to pay. Call Kim Clarke at 301-862-4961 or visit

The La Plata office of the Southern Maryland Chapter of the American Red Cross asks volunteers to call 800-Give-Life and schedule appointments to donate blood. The chapter holds a blood drive from 2 to 7:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at the office, 9255 W&W Industrial Rd. Call 301-934-2066 or go to

Civista Medical Center needs volunteers to help with the gift shop, information desk, coffee cart, pharmacy and reception. Call 301-609-4129.

American Cancer Society training is offered for volunteers in all three Southern Maryland counties. Call 301-261-6000 or 888-603-4304.

Calvert Healthcare Solutions needs volunteers to help with fundraising activities and events. Contact Raymon Noble at 410-414-5628 or

Alternatives for Youth and Families needs foster parents in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties. Call Sarah at 301-884-0312, Ext. 122.

Safe Harbor, a Calvert County organization that supports victims of domestic violence, needs volunteers to give time, goods and money. Free training is provided, and hours are flexible. Call 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Calvert County's Crisis Intervention Center needs volunteers to assist victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Free training is provided, and hours are flexible. Call 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Calvert County Health Department needs volunteers to assist with health outreach and prevention activities. All ages and skill levels are welcome. For an application or information, call 410-535-5400 or 301-855-1353, Ext. 344.

Maryland State Department of Education's Division of Rehabilitation Services needs volunteers to help with clerical and telephone duties. The office, which helps disabled adults find employment, is at 23110 Leonard Hall Dr. in Leonardtown. Call 301-475-2851.

March of Dimes needs volunteers for office support, including data entry, mailings, typing, preparing material for distribution and answering phones. Contact Jennifer Abell at 301-934-2235 or

MetroPets Online needs volunteers to promote the adoption of homeless animals and the well-being of companion animals in the Washington area through the Internet. For more information, call 301-873-0846 or visit

Greenwell Foundation needs volunteers to assist with a variety of programs and special projects, including gardening, office work, events, trail and park maintenance and summer camp. The Therapeutic Riding Program is in need of volunteers for barn chores, trail maintenance, mowing, office work, special projects and events, and fundraising. Foundation programs take place at Greenwell State Park in Hollywood. Contact 301-373-9775, or

Calvert Animal Welfare League needs volunteers to help homeless animals in Calvert County. Contact 410-535-9300 or

Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland needs volunteers to mentor youngsters after school and assist with homework during the school year and help with recreational activities and skill development throughout the year. A background check is required. The organization operates four programs in St. Mary's County and four in Calvert County. Specify the county in which you wish to volunteer. Call 410-326-2200.

Calvert County Office on Aging needs volunteer drivers to help deliver meals to the homebound. Call Harry or Carolyn at 410-535-4606 or 301-855-1170.

Project Echo Shelter, a shelter in Prince Frederick for homeless people, needs volunteers to staff a shift or help serve a meal. Volunteers must agree to commit four hours a month. Call Lori Hony at 410-257-0003 from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. or leave a message telling the best time to be contacted.

Center for Abused Persons needs on-call volunteers to assist and support victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. Volunteers must be 21 or older. Training is provided. Call Diane at 301-645-9387 or 301-645-8994.

The Center for Children needs mentors -- adult role models 21 and older -- who can share their insights with the children of prisoners or those on probation or parole. This program serves children ages 4-15 and focuses on emotional support, academics, life skills and character development. Call Ellen Sarrett at 301-753-4002. The Center for Children is an outpatient mental health clinic providing therapeutic services for children and adults. Call Chana Smikle or Allison Bough in Charles County at 301-609-9887.

Charles County Literacy Council needs volunteers for secretarial tasks, data entry, library maintenance and grant writing. Tutors are needed to help illiterate and partially literate adults read and write. Volunteers of all skill levels are needed; training is provided. Contact 301-870-5974 or

Spring Dell Center needs volunteers to assist developmentally disabled people during lunch. Call Debbie at 301-870-3758 or 301-932-1601.

Charles County Cooperative Ministry on Aging needs volunteers to help with the Meals on Wheels and Telephone Reassurance programs. Call Olivia Baird at 301-392-6325.

Court-Appointed Special Advocates are needed in Charles and St. Mary's counties to help provide a voice in juvenile court proceedings for abused and neglected children by advocating placements and services. CASA volunteers work about 10 hours a month and are screened and trained. In St. Mary's call Rose Deckelman at 301-475-6667; in Charles call Stefanie Myers at 301-609-9887 or send an e-mail to

Hospice of Charles County needs volunteers. Training is provided twice a year, in March and October. For an application, call Susan Loomis at 301-934-1268.

Hospice of St. Mary's County is seeking volunteers. Assistance is needed with patient care, administrative work, bereavement counseling and fundraisers. Schedules and hours can be made to fit a volunteer's availability. Interviews are required before and after patient-care training. Call Kim Knight at 301-475-6478.

Calvert Hospice needs volunteers. Call Ann Lavezzo at 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.

The Rehabilitation Services Division of the Maryland State Department of Education needs volunteers at its Waldorf offices to help with clerical and telephone duties one morning or afternoon each week. The division helps adults with disabilities obtain employment. Call 301-645-8882.

Historic St. Mary's City needs volunteers to help with the gardens, maintain and sail a tall ship, greet visitors and host special events. For more information, call 240-895-4979 or send e-mail to

Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum needs volunteers for the Family Discovery Room, the museum shop and the new Louis L. Goldstein Gallery and to work with archaeologists and conservators on projects at the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory. Contact Tom Esterly at 410-586-8595 or

St. Clement's Island-Potomac River Museum at Coltons Point needs volunteers to assist with student and group tours, weekend visitors, special events and museum store duties. Call 301-769-2222 or visit

Historic Sotterley Plantation needs volunteers to work in the gift shop, assist guests and share the history of Sotterley with the public. Sotterley, a historic Tidewater plantation, offers visitor and education programs. Contact Carole Wible at 301-373-2280 or

The Re-Use Barn, a cooperative effort between the Southern Maryland Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America and the Charles County Board of Commissioners, helps keep usable items out of the landfill. The Re-Use Barn, similar to a huge yard sale, needs volunteers from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays (weather permitting) for as many hours as possible at 3810 Renner Rd. in Waldorf. Proceeds are reinvested in the community. Call 301-645-5349 or 301-645-9451.

Summerseat Farm Sanctuary needs volunteers to conduct tours, work in the gardens and vineyard and with the animals, or work from home helping to coordinate membership and volunteers. Contact Jean at 240-298-6072 or

Mattawoman Creek Art Center is seeking volunteers. Visit the center at Smallwood State Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday or call 301-743-5159.

-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH

To Submit an Item


Mail: Volunteers, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646