The following were among cases received recently by the Washington Humane Society. The society operates its own shelter at 7319 Georgia Ave. NW and the District's shelter at 1201 New York Ave. NE. For more information or assistance, 24 hours a day, call 202-723-5730.

Cat on Ledge for 4 Days

CLIFTON ST. NW, 1300 block, Sept. 15. A man reported that a stray black cat had been sitting on his first-floor window ledge for four days without food or water. Animal control took the cat to the D.C. shelter, where it was held pending contact from an owner or adoption.

Dogs Chained Behind Business

NEW YORK AVE. NE, 1900 block, Sept. 17. A Humane Society officer investigated a report about several dogs chained behind a mechanic shop. The officer found a pit bull chained inside an old taxi with eight puppies, seven living and one dead. Two more pit bulls were chained near a camper shell used as a shelter, and another was chained in different area. The officer met with the business's owner, who said the animals' owner had left them several months ago and had never returned.The officer impounded the dogs. The shop owner agreed to surrender the puppies and to have the adults neutered. The case was under investigation.

Undercover Investigation

24TH ST. NE, 3100 block, Sept. 18. A woman saw a squirrel in her house, but it disappeared. When she noticed a lump under her bedsheets, she assumed it was the animal, placed a flower pot over it, weighed the pot down with books and called animal control. An officer discovered that the lump was a pair of pantyhose.

Apartment Fire Displaces Cat

STAPLES ST. NE, 1400 block, Sept. 15. Police asked animal control to pick up a cat whose owner had been displaced by an apartment fire. The cat was held at the D.C. shelter while the owner searched for another home.

Hermit Crab Abandoned

QUACKENBOS ST. NW, 800 block, Sept. 8. A woman and her daughter were taking out trash and found a plastic cage containing a hermit crab next to their trash bin. They took the crab to the D.C. shelter, where it was put in an aquarium containing several shells it could use for shelter. The crab was to be transferred to an animal rescue organization.

Dogs in Distress Impounded

16TH ST. SE, 200 block, Sept. 18. Investigating a report, a Humane Society officer found two thin puppies chained in a pen that was soiled with mud and feces. The chains were attached to the top of the pen, leaving little room for movement. One puppy was unable to lie down without choking itself. There was no clean water. When the officer picked up the dogs, they howled and urinated. A neighbor argued with the officer, protesting that the puppies were fine. The owner was not at home, and the dogs were impounded. The case was under investigation.

NEW YORK AVE. NW, 1-100 block, Sept. 7. Investigating a report, a Humane Society officer found a thin dog chained to a fence. The area was soiled with feces, and flies were swarming. The dog, which did not have access to shelter, food or water, was impounded. The case was under investigation.

11TH ST. NW, 2800 block, Sept. 18. Investigating a report that a dog had been chained outside in the rain overnight, a Humane Society officer found a wet dog sleeping against a back door of a home in a yard soiled with feces. The officer impounded the dog. The case was under investigation.

Guinea Pig Hides in Kitchen

MONTANA AVE. NE, 1700 block, Sept. 18. A girl called animal control because her guinea pig had crawled under a kitchen cabinet and would not come out. A family member cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet, and an officer removed the animal and gave it to the girl.

Injured Dog Euthanized

KENYON ST. NW, 600 block, Sept. 21. A dog caught a rear leg in the railing of a house. An animal control officer freed the leg, and a Humane Society officer took the dog to a veterinarian. Because the dog had suffered serious nerve damage to the leg, the owner surrendered it to be euthanized.

Dead Dog Found in Crate

FORRESTER ST. SW, 1-100 block, Sept. 21. A Humane Society officer spotted a green airline carrier between two abandoned buildings and discovered the decomposed body of a dog inside. The animal had a thick black collar with no tags; tape covered its muzzle. Rocks were piled on top of and next to the crate, which was marked inside by scratches. The case was under investigation.

-- Compiled by KATHY ORTON