A Sept. 30 obituary of Ariana Worthington Watkins Clarke-Windle incorrectly stated that she was born in Clarksville, Va. She was born in Clarksville, Md. (Published 10/2/04)

Ariana W.W. Clarke-Windle


Ariana Worthington Watkins Clarke-Windle, 52, an artist who divided her time between Charlottesville and England, died Aug. 30 of a heart attack in Standlake, England. She had completed the labels for a gallery exhibit of her paintings when she collapsed.

Ms. Clarke-Windle was born in Clarksville, Va., where her father raised thoroughbred horses, and was a graduate of Glenelg Country School in Glenelg. She was to have been an artist-in-residence at the school in October.

After high school, she attended Montesano Institute in Gstaad, Switzerland, and graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas. She did graduate studies at Georgetown University and Oxford University.

She was descended from several families that helped found the colony of Maryland and was named for an ancestor, Ariana Worthington, who came to Maryland in 1643. Ms. Clarke-Windle discovered later in life that her namesake also had been an artist.

From about 1980 to 1994, Ms. Clarke-Windle lived in Washington. She moved to Charlottesville in 1994. For about 25 years, she had also maintained a home in a 14th-century thatch-roofed cottage in Standlake.

She was known mostly for her pastel paintings of landscapes, interiors, still lifes and portraits. Her work is in private collections in the United States, Great Britain, Japan, Germany and Switzerland. She recently was commissioned by the British government to create a series of mosaics along the Windrush River in Standlake.

Ms. Clarke-Windle taught for several years at community colleges in England. Her other interests included literature and classical music.

She and her husband collaborated on a series of comical poems, attributed to a sheep dubbed Bertie Ramsbottom, that appeared in the Financial Times.

Survivors include her husband of 24 years, H. Ralph Windle of Standlake; two children, Justin Clarke Windle and Christina Elizabeth Windle, both of Standlake; her mother, Lillian Clarke Giberga of Charlottesville; and four sisters, Alana Bowie Clarke of Charlottesville, Carolina Clarke of Frederick, Lillian Elizabeth Clarke of Gladstone, N.J., and Lucinda Lee Clarke of Baltimore.

Billie Pappas Manion

Registered Nurse

Billie Pappas Manion, 83, a registered nurse from 1971 to the mid-1980s at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney, died of a heart ailment Sept. 27 at her home in Kensington.

Mrs. Manion was born in Winchester, where she graduated from John Handley High School. She did nursing work early in her career at a hospital in Winchester and the old Garfield Hospital in Washington.

During World War II, she was an Army Air Forces nurse stationed in San Antonio, where she treated burn patients.

After the war, she and her husband, a physician, returned to the Washington area. She did volunteer work at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church and its school in Kensington, and she was a member of the Woman's Club of Kensington and the Kensington Garden Club.

In retirement, she volunteered at Kensington Park Library, helping to mend and cover books. She received an award from the library for her service.

Her husband, Dr. William C. Manion, died in 1970.

Survivors include four sons, William C. Manion Jr. of Bethesda, Dr. James Manion of Palm Springs, Calif., Dr. Thomas Manion of Edgewater and Brian Michael Manion of Silver Spring; two sisters, Frances Packard and Mary Coffinberger, both of Winchester; two brothers, John Pappas of Hampton, Va., and Peter Pappas of Berryville, Va.; and nine grandchildren.

William B. Townshend


William Bryan Townshend, 70, an air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic in the Washington area who retired from the University of Maryland in 1990 after about a decade, died Sept. 27.

Mr. Town, who lived at Sligo Creek Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Takoma Park, died there of complications from a seizure disorder.

Mr. Townshend, who was born in Washington, served in the Army from 1956 to 1958.

He was a member of the Takoma Park Baptist Church.

Survivors include a sister, Ann Rothgeb of Falling Waters, W. Va.