Jon Lippett Boyes, 83, a former Navy vice admiral who later directed a military communications association, died Sept. 21 of a heart attack at his home in Hot Springs, Ark.

Adm. Boyes was a three-star admiral, the second-highest rank in the Navy, and lived in the Washington area off and on for more than 30 years. After graduating in 1943 from the U.S. Naval Academy through an accelerated program, he served in World War II in the Pacific, where he was wounded in a Japanese attack on his ship. After the war, he became a submarine commander.

From 1955 to 1957, he was commander of the USS Albacore, which was considered a revolutionary submarine for its time. Under Adm. Boyes's command, the Albacore set an underwater speed record and was known as the fastest submarine in the world. In the 1960s, Adm. Boyes commanded the Navy's first all-nuclear submarine attack squadron.

He later served at the Pentagon as an assistant director to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, with a special interest in Korean affairs. In 1969, he was named deputy director for plans at the Defense Communications Agency (now the Defense Information Systems Agency) in Arlington.

Adm. Boyes served in Germany in the early 1970s before returning to Washington as director of naval communications. In 1975, he was named director of Naval Command, Control and Communications operations. The next year, he served in Brussels as deputy director general of NATO's communications agency.

He retired in 1977 as a three-star admiral. He received the Distinguished Service Medal, five awards of the Legion of Merit and the Purple Heart, among other honors.

After retiring from the Navy, he was president of the Armed Forces Communications Electronics Association, an Oakton-based organization linking government and private industries involved in global security and intelligence. He retired from that position in 1991.

Adm. Boyes was born in Oakland, Calif. He spent his childhood in China, the Philippines and Panama, as his father, also a naval officer, moved the family around the world.

He received two master's degrees, one in political science and the other in international law, from the University of Hawaii and the University of Maryland. He received a doctorate in international affairs from the University of Maryland.

Adm. Boyes lived in Arlington and McLean before moving to Oakton in 1978. He was a member of Church of the Holy Comforter in Vienna. He was also a member of the Lions Club and various military organizations. In 1991, he moved to Arkansas, where he was active in many community groups.

His hobbies included fly-fishing, gardening and cooking.

His marriage to Virginia Gantt Boyes ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Nancy Mitchell Boyes; three daughters from his first marriage, Jan Brooke Halpenny of Honolulu, Chris Lynn Abohasen of McLean and Virginia Leigh Fallon of Hidden Valley Lake, Calif.; a brother; a sister; and seven grandchildren.

Adm. Jon L. Boyes commanded the Navy's first all-nuclear submarine attack squadron.