William J. Stone

Administrative Law Judge

William J. Stone, 90, a retired administrative law judge, died of complications of a stroke Oct. 1 at Montgomery Hospice in Rockville. He was a resident of Annapolis.

Mr. Stone was born in New York City and graduated from St. John's University in Brooklyn, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1939 and a law degree in 1941. He received his master of law degree from National University in Washington in 1952.

He served as a lieutenant commander in the Navy during World War II on a patrol boat that operated in both the Pacific and Atlantic theaters. He was awarded the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

After the war, he moved to Washington and served as industries officer at a naval correctional facility and at the Pentagon in the Adjutant General's Office of the Clemency and Parole Division. He was a case analyst, reviewing general court-martial sentences.

In December 1953, Mr. Stone testified before a Senate investigative committee on the overcrowding of the Children's Receiving Home and the need for separating offenders of varying degrees of seriousness, the lack of medical isolation facilities and its inadequate security.

In 1970, Mr. Stone became a legal assistant for the D.C. Social Services Administration and subsequently was promoted to assistant chief of the Fair Hearings Division at the Department of Human Resources Judicial Affairs Office. He served as a senior administrative law judge, conducting hearings related to such public assistance as Medicaid and food stamps, disabilities, and grievances pertaining to public health and welfare. He retired in 1978.

Mr. Stone also had a private legal practice and taught at American University, Catholic University and Howard University.

After retirement, he lived in Atlantic City and Poolesville before moving to Annapolis in 1994.

He loved music, the theater and traveling.

His first wife, Eileen Grogan, died in 1968. They had been married for 27 years. Their daughter, Hope J. Stone, died in 1985.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Ellen Sutherland Stone of Annapolis; a daughter from his first marriage, Margot Van Horn of Dumfries; three stepchildren, Cheryl Gallagher of Bethesda, Robert Myhre of Reston and Bonnie Myhre of Bradford, Vt.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Brian Scott Walton

Target Employee

Brian Scott Walton, 45, a former Mount Vernon resident and longtime Hechinger employee, died of congestive heart failure Aug. 29 while he was at work for Target stores in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He was a resident of Fishkill, N.Y.

Mr. Walton was born in Alexandria and grew up in the Mount Vernon area, where he delivered the Alexandria Gazette to many homes. Starting with just a few customers, he expanded his route to more than a hundred, winning a trip to New York City. He graduated from Mount Vernon High School in 1977.

He began his 23-year career with Hechinger during his senior year in high school. Starting in sales, he was manager of a store when Hechinger closed in 1999. He joined Target in Albany, N.Y., in 2000 and had recently been working to open a new Target in Poughkeepsie.

Survivors include his wife of 13 years, Linda Walton of Fishkill, N.Y.; his parents, Johnny and Brenda Walton of Culpeper; and a sister, Cindy Breeden of Lake Ridge.

Daniel Joseph Chiplis

Bonsai Horticulturist

Daniel Joseph Chiplis, 51, a government horticulturist who grew and maintained bonsai plants at the National Arboretum, died of chronic lymphocytic leukemia Sept. 29 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Chiplis cared for the arboretum's permanent collection of bonsai from Japan, Hong Kong and the United States. He worked for the arboretum from 1984 to 1998, serving as assistant curator of the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum, which houses one of the largest collections of the miniature trees.

In 1998, he transferred to the Smithsonian Institution, where until his retirement last October he helped plan the landscaping of the grounds of the new National Museum of the American Indian.

He had lived in the Washington area since 1984.

Mr. Chiplis was a native of Indianapolis. His interest in bonsai began in high school. He graduated from Purdue University and received a master's degree in horticulture from Ohio State University.

He underwent bonsai training in Omiya, Japan, and studied with bonsai masters John Y. Naka in California and Yuji Yoshimura in New York.

Mr. Chiplis shared his expertise on bonsai as a guest speaker at national and regional gatherings as well as in a column called Seasonal Reminders, printed in a publication of the Bonsai Club International.

He also taught a class called Introductory Bonsai at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Graduate School.

In recent years, he participated and supported "Plunge for Patients," a fundraiser benefiting the Johns Hopkins Patient and Family Fund.

Survivors include his wife of 19 years, Paula K.Y. Chiplis, and their two daughters, Julia and Anna Chiplis, all of Silver Spring; his mother, Margaret E. Chiplis of Indianapolis; a brother; and three sisters.

Jane Barrons Moore

Public Health Administrator

Jane Barrons Moore, 67, a public health administrator who was senior project manager with the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials in Washington from 1992 to 2001, died Sept. 27 of injuries from an automobile accident in Leesburg. She lived in Purcellville.

Mrs. Moore also worked from 1986 to 1991 as a project manager for Circle Inc., a health contractor in Tysons Corner.

As a public health program administrator, she oversaw state-level implementation of tobacco control legislation, recruitment programs for the U.S. Public Health Service and nationwide initiatives to prevent teen pregnancy.

Mrs. Moore was born in Montgomery, Ala., and grew up in Lansing and Midland, Mich. She graduated with an associate's degree from Cottey College in Nevada, Mo., and with a bachelor's degree in communication arts from Michigan State University.

While living in Huntington, W.Va., she earned a master's degree in anthropology and sociology from Marshall University in 1981. She later worked as director of the graduate resident program at the Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine.

A former longtime resident of Reston, Mrs. Moore was actively involved in local church and philanthropic organizations.

She attended St. Andrew Presbyterian Church in Purcellville, where she served in the Stephen Ministry.

She also was involved with the United Christian Parish in Reston and Interfaith Relief in Leesburg and was formerly an elder at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Herndon. She was a member of the P.E.O. sisterhood in Huntington and was a founding member of Chapter AZ in Herndon, where she helped establish scholarships assisting Bolivian women to go to college in the United States.

She also co-wrote with Molly E. French a policy guide for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Harnessing Genetics to Prevent Disease and Improve Health" (2004).

Survivors include husband of 45 years, Dan Breckinridge Moore of Purcellville; two children, Nancy Moore Deely of Purcellville and Dr. Jonathan Barrons Moore of Sandy, Utah; her mother, Delphine Brooks Barrons of Traverse City, Mich.; three brothers; a sister; and two grandchildren.

John H. Yingling

Staff Director, Lawyer

John H. Yingling, 87, a former staff director of the Senate Banking Committee and Washington lawyer, died Sept. 30 at the Savannah (Ga.) Square Retirement Community. He had emphysema.

Mr. Yingling served as the Senate's banking committee staff director from 1955 to 1961, and then joined the staff of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for two years.

After leaving the Senate staff, he engaged in the practice of law. He was the founder of the law firm of Yingling & Shay, which represented banking institutions before Congress and the federal bank regulatory agencies.

He retired from the firm in 1979 and moved from Washington to Skidaway Island, Ga.

Mr. Yingling was born in Searcy, Ark. He attended Hendrix College and graduated from the University of Arkansas Law School in 1942.

During World War II, he was an officer in the Navy and served on a supply and repair ship that supported the invasion of Normandy. After retiring from active duty, he worked briefly as an attorney for the Department of the Navy before joining the staff of Sen. J. William Fulbright (D-Ark.) in 1947.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Elizabeth Lightle Yingling of Skidaway Island; two children, Ann Yingling of Skidaway Island and Edward L. Yingling of Arlington; and three grandchildren.