Frank J. Geraci Jr.

Realty Specialist

Frank J. Geraci Jr., 77, who sold surplus schools as a realty specialist for Prince George's County for about 10 years before retiring around 1990, died Oct. 2 of complications of diabetes at Casey House hospice in Rockville.

Mr. Geraci, a Rockville resident, was born in Washington and graduated from Calvin Coolidge High School.

Following high school, he worked with the D.C. Recreation Department. He then moved on to the Prince George's County and Montgomery County recreation departments, where he specialized in running teen clubs.

After about 10 years, he entered the real estate business. During his real estate career, he worked with many brokers and managed Capital Plaza Shopping Center for several years before going to work for Prince George's County.

He was a member of the Rockville Elks Lodge and St. Peter's Catholic Church in Olney.

His first marriage, to Barbara Williams Geraci, ended in divorce. His marriage to Brigette Fintzerwalder Geraci also ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 10 years, Elizabeth Geraci of Rockville; two children from the first marriage, Brian Geraci of Colesville and Mary Jane Geraci of Olney; two grandsons; and a sister.

Johnny Bradford


Johnny Bradford, 66, a musician who performed at many area restaurants and nightclubs, died Sept. 20 of stomach cancer at Capital Hospice in Falls Church. He lived in Sterling.

Mr. Bradford played piano and sang in the Washington area for the past 40 years at various clubs, including the Black Sheep and The Office in the District and Bobby Baker's Carousel in Ocean City. For the past 25 years, he appeared at Sea Sea & Co. in Occoquan, where he performed show tunes and modern pop songs.

He was a native of Greensboro, N.C., and attended Morgan State University in Baltimore. He served in the Air Force in the early 1960s before settling in the Washington area in 1964. He lived in Reston before moving to Sterling in the 1980s.

Mr. Bradford enjoyed playing golf when he was not performing music. For the past seven years, he was a corporate courier for a Kinko's copy and office-supply store in Herndon.

His marriage to Jacqueline Bradford ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion, Joyce Vaughan of Annandale.

George Arlington Daoust Jr.

Army Colonel

George Arlington Daoust Jr., 81, a lieutenant colonel in the Army who as a civilian Defense Department employee helped steer the nation from a draft-based to an all-volunteer military, died of cancer Sept. 8 at Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Col. Daoust served in the Army Airborne forces from 1945 to 1967, in Germany, France, Japan and Washington. His second career, as a government and military affairs consultant, culminated in his role as deputy assistant secretary of defense in charge of manpower from 1971 to 1973, when he planned and executed the change from draft-based armed forces to all-volunteer military.

Col. Daoust was born in Oakland, Calif., and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1945. He served in Germany assigned to a parachute infantry regiment and then to the headquarters of the European command in Paris.

In 1948, he taught at Fort Benning, Ga., developing tactics and techniques for Army Pathfinder operations, and then served in Washington and overseas. In 1958, he received a master's degree in political science from Georgetown University, then served at the Pentagon, in Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in Paris and in Germany.

Among his military awards was the Legion of Merit. He retired from the military in 1967. That same year, he received a doctorate in international relations from Georgetown University.

Col. Daoust worked as director of political policy analysis for the Stanford Research Institute in Washington for the next four years, then joined the Defense Department.

He was director of government relations for a government contractor, Planning Research Corp., from 1975 to 1981, and briefly executive director of the National Council of Technical Service Industries.

He wrote a book on U.S. military bases in Spain in 1968 and published military and government studies of the Soviets and Japanese.

He also briefly self-published a newsletter called Current World Affairs.

Col. Daoust bought a wooded lot in Great Falls, cleared it and designed and built his retirement home there. He enjoyed reading and discussing military and world affairs and traveling with his wife.

His first marriage, to Elizabeth Pover Daoust, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Lucy Brice Daoust of Great Falls; three children from the first marriage, Elizabeth Daoust of Indianapolis, Noel Holmes of Houston and George Arlington Daoust III of McLean; and two stepchildren, Lucy Frank of Louisville and Susan Frank Sims of Fairfax Station.