GU Man Likely Drowning Victim

Robert A. Tremain, 20, a Georgetown University junior, was identified yesterday as the man who is presumed to have drowned after falling off a cabin cruiser at a Southwest Washington marina.

Tremain, of Bloomfield Hills, Mich., and eight other people had taken a cruise on the boat and were docking at the James Creek Marina about 4:30 a.m. when the incident occurred, police said.

It appears that Tremain was gathering his things when he lost his footing and fell into the water, police said. Divers have not found his body.

Anti-Theft Devices Donated

D.C. police and two private companies gave away 1,000 anti-theft devices yesterday to city motorists who live east of the Anacostia River.

The event at a Boys & Girls Club in Northeast Washington drew a long line of residents, some of whom waited more than two hours to pick up the equipment, which locks to car steering wheels.

Areas east of the river have been hard hit by vehicle thefts, police said, and many residents have expressed frustration and anger.

The program was sponsored by American Skyline Insurance Co. and Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Those interested in future events can call police at 202-645-5333.

Girl Struck by TV Identified

D.C. police identified Ariel J. Jones yesterday as the toddler who died Friday when a television fell on her in a Southeast Washington apartment.

The 21-month-old girl apparently touched an entertainment console in her family's apartment in the 400 block of Brandywine Street SE, dislodging a 27-inch television that dropped on her head, police said.

The girl was taken to Children's Hospital, where she died, police said.

Guilty Plea in Tavern Deaths

A second man charged in a triple homicide last year at Colonel Brooks' Tavern has pleaded guilty.

Tyree S. Bunn entered his plea to three counts of second-degree murder in Superior Court on Friday.

That left one defendant in the case, Rodman S. Durham, facing trial. Joel A. Smith pleaded guilty last month in the April 6, 2003, killings. The three men were in their twenties when arrested in January.

The man who investigators believe was the ringleader, David A. Wright, 33, killed himself as police closed in on him in January near Richmond.

Wright was a former cook at the popular Northeast Washington restaurant, who, according to prosecutors, led the other three men on an early morning robbery. After one of the three employees the robbers encountered recognized Wright, he decided that all three had to be killed, according to prosecutors.


Drug Cases Create Lab Backlog

A statewide surge in drug arrests and staffing shortages in Virginia's four forensic laboratories has created a massive evidence backlog and caused some felony drug cases to be dropped, police and prosecutors say.

Scientific analysis of drug evidence that normally would be completed in 10 days was taking an average of 82 days at the end of August, Paul B. Ferrara, director of the state's Division of Forensic Science, told the Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk.

The backlog has stalled cases in general district courts, where informal guidelines set a goal of decisions on most matters within 60 days of an arrest.

About 42,900 cases were referred to the labs last year, Ferrara said. By this year's end, he said he expects a total of 47,140.

Ferrara attributes the increase to the success of drug task forces and to the emergence of new "designer" drugs. While the number of cases has grown, the staff of drug chemists has shrunk to 33, with five vacant positions, he said.


Firefighters Rescue Two Men

Prince George's County firefighters rescued two men from the second floor of a burning home in Seabrook late Friday, authorities said.

When firefighters arrived at the house in the 7000 block of 97th Avenue, the first floor was engulfed in flames and the men on the second floor could not get out, said Capt. Chauncey Bowers, a fire department spokesman.

"The men were on the second floor and had to be rescued," Bowers said. "We put a latter up to a second-floor window and had them climb down."

The cause of the fire, which left about $80,000 in damage, was being investigated yesterday, Bowers said.

"When I left, my oldest child was 10. Now he is 21. It's so hard to be away from them. I still cry about it."

-- Precy Lucero, who works as a live-in nanny and housekeeper in the Washington area to support her family in the Philippines. -- Page A1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Henri E. Cauvin, Martin Weil, Del Quentin Wilber and Hamil R. Harris and the Associated Press.