Gerson Kirkland Heiss Jr.

Army Colonel

Gerson Kirkland "Kirk" Heiss Jr., a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army, died of kidney failure Sept. 28 at the Fairfax retirement home in Fort Belvoir.

Col. Heiss was born at Fort Monroe, Va., and graduated from Wilson High School in Washington. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1944 and served as an ordnance officer in the European theater during the closing months of World War II.

He received a master's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in 1948. After further military service, including assignments in Germany and Vietnam, he retired from the Army in 1968. He then began a career as an engineer at Chrysler Corp. in Detroit, retiring in 1989.

Col. Heiss returned to the Washington area in 2000, settling at the Fairfax.

His wife of 45 years, Joan Lahaie Heiss, died in 2001.

Survivors include four children, Nancy Wray of North Kingstown, R.I., Marjorie Heiss of Washington, David Heiss of Battle Creek, Mich., and Ned Heiss of Palm Beach, Fla.; a sister; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Charles Elmer Campbell

NASA Engineer

Charles Elmer "Charlie" Campbell, 78, a NASA engineer, died of pneumonia Oct. 1 at Riderwood retirement home in Silver Spring. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Campbell retired from NASA in 1989 after 41 years with the agency and its predecessor organizations. He helped design the Argo D-8 sounding rocket, and he was the instrument manager for the Energetic Gamma Ray Experiment Telescope on the Compton Great Observatory in space, which studies gamma rays from across the universe.

Mr. Campbell was born in St. Louis and moved to Washington in 1939. He graduated from Eastern High School, where he was a major in the high school Cadet Corps. He received the Rensselaer Medal for excellence in mathematics.

He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II and later graduated with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Maryland, where he was a member of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity and the Tau Beta Pi engineering and Phi Eta Sigma freshman honor societies.

Upon graduation, Mr. Campbell worked at IBM, the Naval Ordnance Laboratory and, for the longest part of his career, at NASA.

Mr. Campbell was a trustee and deacon of Knox Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Silver Spring. He was a scoutmaster of Troop 948 in Colesville, where he was adamant about avoiding poison ivy after one of his scouts burned the toxic plant and was hospitalized after inhaling the smoke.

He and his wife learned to square dance, becoming challenge level C-3 dancers. Until recently, he jogged two miles every morning.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Campbell of Silver Spring; two sons, Charles E. Campbell Jr. of Laurel and James D. Campbell of Silver Spring; a daughter, Joan S. Henderson of Havre de Grace, Md.; and seven grandchildren.

Glen San Lwin

Engineer and Photographer

Glen San Lwin, 87, who established a photography lab at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory to record assembly operations, died of a heart attack Oct. 6 at Frederick Memorial Hospital. He lived in Rocky Ridge in rural Frederick County.

Mr. San Lwin was an electrical engineer at the physics lab in the 1960s when he started the photography facility to provide documentation of the space hardware during all stages of assembly.

The special lighting techniques he developed and his color macrophotography set an industry technical standard for photographic documentation of assembly operations. Mr. San Lwin worked at the physics lab for 32 years before retiring in 1989.

He turned a longtime hobby into a profession. Mr. San Lwin was a master photographer, winning numerous awards through Eastman Kodak Co. He also was a member of the Silver Spring Photography Club.

He enjoyed riding his John Deere tractor and cooking, especially his native Burmese dishes. He also was an avid sports fan with a keen interest in international soccer.

Mr. San Lwin was born in Prome, Burma, and was employed as a customs officer in his native country. He served with the British Army during World War II in the Royal Engineers. After the war, he returned to Burma Customs.

In 1949, he worked with the Burma Diplomatic Service, then came to the United States to open the Burmese Consulate. He later was employed with the National Security Agency for about two years, before joining the applied physics lab. He lived in Chevy Chase before moving to Rocky Ridge.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Sylvia San Lwin of Rocky Ridge; two children, Glynis Dalgam of Rocky Ridge and Glen San Lwin of Arlington; two grandchildren; and three great-granddaughters.