BWI to Get Federal Funds
For Baggage Screening
Baltimore-Washington International Airport will receive $1.7 million from the Transportation Security Administration to upgrade its checked-baggage screening system. Additional machines to detect explosives will be installed in the American Airlines baggage handling area, and the Northwest Airlines and Continental Airlines baggage rooms will be expanded.
Event to Inform Businesses
About BWI Opportunities
A business networking fair will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. Nov. 8 at the BWI Airport Marriott hotel in Linthicum. Small and minority-run businesses will be able to meet with airport contractors to learn more about providing services to BWI. Those interested in participating or exhibiting can call 410-859-7949 or visit www.marylandaviation.com for more information. The hotel is at 1743 W. Nursery Rd. The event is free and open to the public.
* American Airlines will increase service between Reagan National Airport and St. Louis from two daily flights to three Jan. 31. Also on that date, AmericanConnection, part of the American Airlines network, will reduce service on the National Airport-St. Louis route from four to two daily flights.
* Delta Air Lines will increase service between Atlanta and BWI and Dulles International Airport. As of Jan. 31, flights to BWI will increase from 13 to 15 round trips daily, and flights to Dulles will increase from 15 to 16 round trips daily.
* Independence Air has begun service from Dulles to Charlotte and to Huntsville, Ala. The discount carrier now offers eight daily round-trip flights between Dulles and Charlotte and six daily round-trip flights between Dulles and Huntsville.
* United Express has begun service between Dulles and airports serving Memphis, Milwaukee, and Wilkes-Barre and Scranton in Pennsylvania. The flights include three daily round trips to Memphis, three daily round trips to Wilkes-Barre and Scranton and two daily round trips to Milwaukee. On Sunday, United Express will launch service between Dulles and Houston with two daily round-trip flights, adding a third round trip Nov. 1.
* AirTran Airways will begin daily service between BWI and Sarasota Bradenton International Airport in Florida. The nonstop route, which was chosen by votes in an online poll conducted by the airline, will begin Dec. 17.
-- Compiled by LILA ARZUA