Long Reach's Ray Gilbert boots Wilde Lake, Sept. 11

Gilbert, who missed each of his three field goal attempts last season, picked the right moment to kick his team's first field goal in five years.

Gilbert's 32-yard kick, with 47 seconds left in the game, gave the Lightning a 17-14 victory over Wilde Lake, which had won seven of the teams' past eight meetings.

"It seemed against the good teams like Wilde Lake, we always came close but we never won," Gilbert said. "But that proved we were now one of the best teams in the county."

River Hill's Ben Hostetler delivers against Wilde Lake, Oct. 1

With the game tied at 7 late in the third quarter, Hostetler scored what turned out to be the winning touchdown on a 6-yard run in a 21-7 victory.

Hostetler, the county's leading passer, demonstrated that he is also a force on the ground, leading the Hawks to their second victory in nine meetings with Wilde Lake.

Reservoir stops Atholton inches short, Oct. 1

After Atholton's Dean Hart caught a seven-yard touchdown pass with seven seconds remaining to pull his team within 20-18, Reservoir's defense stopped the Raiders just short of tying the game.

Linebacker William Callaway and safety Travis Davis converged to thwart a running play just outside the goal line on the two-point conversion.

"That showed our team we can close the door when we have the lead," Coach Joe Lewis said.

Glenelg's Evan Kay saves the day, Oct. 8

Kay blocked a punt with 18 seconds remaining, and teammate Blake Mullinix, who recovered the ball on the Wilde Lake 2-yard line, caught a touchdown pass from Justin Field with eight seconds remaining to lift the host Gladiators to a 37-34 victory in the school's first night game.

"Good teams find a way to win games, and it doesn't get any bigger than that," Glenelg Coach John Davis said. "It had to be one of the best games in Glenelg history. It was what high school football is all about."

Mount Hebron's Kevin Berendt stops Howard a yard short, Oct. 8

The Lions had rushed for 309 yards on 36 carries -- an average of 8.5 yards per attempt -- but with the game on the line, Mount Hebron's defense secured a 26-21 victory.

Howard had a fourth-and-nine from the Vikings' 25-yard line with just over a minute to play when quarterback Ronnie Curley handed the ball to running back Vincent Coleman. Coleman turned the corner and headed up field. But just before he reached the first-down marker, Berendt, an outside linebacker, dove and knocked him out of bounds one yard shy, giving the ball back to Mount Hebron.

"I saw the ball coming my way, and I needed to do everything I could to get him down," Berendt said. "So I dove and was able to knock him out of bounds."