The Oct. 16 obituary of Ada Deans Chapman incorrectly described her as chief librarian of the Howard University School of Engineering and Architecture. She was founding librarian and, later, assistant librarian. It also omitted the name of her surviving sister, Loretta D. Burke of Washington. (Published 10/20/04)

Enola Marshall Crapper

Church Member

Enola Marshall Crapper, 82, a homemaker and a member of the Seabrook Seventh-day Adventist Church, died of complications of a recent hip replacement Oct. 11 at Doctors Community Hospital. She lived in Riverdale.

Mrs. Crapper was born and grew up in Washington. From the late 1960s to early 1970s, she worked part time as a clerk for the Government Printing Office. She also did volunteer work through her church.

Her husband of 51 years, Leonard Frances Crapper, died in 1994; a son, Jean Charles Crapper, died in 1983.

Survivors include two children, Marshall Leonard Crapper of Riverdale and Shirley Anne Crapper of Frederick; a brother; eight grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Joyce W. Mack


Joyce W. Mack, 77, a real estate saleswoman and office manager, died of colon cancer Oct. 8 at her home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Mack worked as a Realtor with Robert L. Gruen Realtors in Silver Spring from 1973 to 1986, spending four of those years as office manager. She was a Senate committee staff member in the early 1950s, when she edited the Kefauver organized crime hearings report.

She was born in Griffithsville, W.Va. She was a train hostess on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad from 1944 to 1948, when she moved to Washington upon her marriage. She worked briefly on the District's Sesquicentennial Commission staff. In the mid-1960s, she lived in Tokyo while her husband was financial attache at the U.S. Embassy there.

She was a member of the Washington-Tokyo Women's Club from 1968 to 1980.

Her husband of 42 years, Victor A. Mack, died in 1991.

Survivors include three daughters, Valerie Johns of Los Angeles, Victoria Nasir Lyons of Frederick and Carolyn D. Mack of Wilmington, Del.; three sisters; a brother; and two granddaughters.

Alexander J. Inglese

Restaurateur, Real Estate Broker

Alexander J. Inglese, 76, an area restaurateur and restaurant real estate broker, died Oct. 10 of kidney failure and cancer at the Jefferson, an assisted-living facility in Arlington County. He was a longtime McLean resident.

Mr. Inglese was born and grew up in Amsterdam, N.Y. He served in the Army during the Korean War and after the war managed the Officers Clubs at Maxwell and Gunter Air Force bases in Montgomery, Ala. He moved to the Washington area in 1965.

He managed the 1789/Tombs restaurants near the Georgetown University campus until 1972, when he opened Alexander's Three Penthouse Restaurant, an upscale rooftop restaurant in Rosslyn. After new high-rise buildings blocked the penthouse view, he closed Alexander's in 1982, becoming a real estate agent and business broker for numerous area restaurants.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Hope T. Inglese of McLean; three children, Alexander Inglese of Vienna, Christopher Inglese of McLean and Virginia Inglese of Vienna; a brother, Joseph Inglese of Amsterdam; a sister, Mary Ann Inglese of Van Nuys, Calif.; and six grandchildren.

Robert James Townsend

Telecommunications Engineer

Robert James Townsend, 63, a telecommunications troubleshooter who solved technical problems related to voice, video and data, died of cancer Oct. 13 at Casey House in Derwood. He was a resident of Highland.

Mr. Townsend spent the majority of his career working for AT&T. But in 1998, he began working for Telogy Networks in Germantown before it was bought by Texas Instruments. He worked on cutting-edge products that allow consumers and businesses to use telephones to make phone calls over the Internet, testing software against the hardware problems that arise in real-world use.

His job involved testing small and residential gateway devices and investigating field and deployment problems for the new technologies. His boss called him a "one-of-a-kind employee in that he loved the lab work and the grappling with all the hard problems," as well as serving as a mentor to younger engineers.

He was born in Allentown, Pa., and attended DeVry Technical Institute in Chicago, Kings College in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and George Washington University. In 1964 and 1965, he served in the Army in Berlin and then went to work for AT&T from 1966 until 1998, moving up to manager and senior systems specialist. While working on AT&T's local area network, he said on his resume, he helped move his department from the "sneaker-net" (moving files by walking them from desk to desk) to the Internet. Mr. Townsend later designed a laboratory to simulate problems, test equipment and train people in a technical advisory center for the federal government's telephone system.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Rosalinda Townsend of Highland; two children, Susanne Townsend of Cleveland and Bryan Townsend of Highland; three sisters; a brother; and his mother, Georgia Townsend of Bethlehem, Pa.

William Brooks Carroll

Led Satellite Communications

William Brooks Carroll, 85, who managed satellite communications facilities after retiring as an Air Force colonel, died Oct. 9 of congestive heart failure at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He lived in Burke.

Upon his retirement from the Air Force in 1967, Col. Carroll joined Communications Satellite Corp. as manager of its satellite communications facility or "earth station," in Etam, W.Va. His station handled the first live transatlantic television images in 1968 and the signal of the first lunar landing in 1969. He returned to Washington in 1975 as director of Comsat's earth stations in the United States.

After retiring from Comsat in 1982, he was a part-time mathematics professor at Prince George's Community College until 1988.

Col. Carroll was born in Montgomery, Ala. He graduated from Auburn University and received a master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Illinois. He also attended two professional military education schools, the Air Command and Staff College and Air War College.

He joined the Army Reserve in 1940 and entered active duty in 1942. He served in the Signal Corps during World War II and participated in the battles of Leyte Island and Manila. He also was stationed in New Guinea, the Philippines, Japan and Germany.

He first moved to Washington in 1946 and the next year was assigned to the Air Force when that military branch was formed. He worked at the Pentagon from 1950 to 1954.

In 1960, when Col. Carroll was stationed at Andrews Air Force Base, he organized the Defense Communications Agency in Arlington and later became its first deputy director of operations.

Three years later, he was commander of communications and air traffic control for Air Force units in France, Germany, the Netherlands and North Africa.

He lived in Camp Springs from 1966 to 1968 and from 1975 to 1985. He had lived in Burke for the past 19 years and was a member of Burke United Methodist Church.

His wife of 56 years, Dorothy Kares Carroll, died in 2003.

Survivors include three children, Sandy Webb of Salisbury, Md., Robert Carroll of Darnestown and John Carroll of Burke; and five grandchildren.

Ada Deans Chapman

Howard University Librarian

Ada Deans Chapman, 86, a librarian at Howard University, died Sept. 19 of kidney failure at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Chapman began her career at Howard in 1941 as a member of the dean's staff. Her skill in managing the growing collection of books of the School of Engineering and Architecture led to her being named the school's first librarian in 1952. She remained the school's chief librarian until her retirement in 1981.

Mrs. Chapman, a Washington native, graduated from Dunbar High School in 1935. She graduated from Howard in 1939 and was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. She was selected gridiron queen in 1937 and May queen in 1939.

In her youth, she joined St. Luke's Episcopal Church, where she was an active member of the Flower Guild for more than 30 years.

In the 1940s, she was a member of the New Negro Alliance, a local civil rights organization, and the Young Women's League, a social service organization. She kept abreast of fashion trends and in the 1950s often modeled in local fashion shows sponsored by her sorority and civic organizations.

In 1974, Mrs. Chapman was foreman of a Watergate grand jury that indicted former treasury secretary John B. Connally on bribery charges. He was later exonerated.

Mrs. Chapman's husband of 36 years, Mark E. Chapman, died in 1975.

Survivors include her daughter, Toni-Michelle Travis of Vienna.

Charles Benedict Sevcik

Federal Contract Specialist

Charles Benedict Sevcik, 84, a retired contract specialist with the federal government, died of lymphoma Oct. 14 at the Sunrise assisted-care facility in Sterling.

Mr. Sevcik worked from 1956 until his 1977 retirement as a supervisory contract specialist for the Army Engineer Center Directorate of Procurement and Production at Fort Belvoir.

He grew up in West Virginia, having been born in Wendell and raised in Clarksburg.

He joined the Army in 1942, serving in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II, and was discharged as a technical sergeant.

Mr. Sevcik continued to work for the government with the Army Corps of Engineers, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, the Post Office Department and the Federal Housing Authority.

He was a member of Woodbridge Moose Lodge 583 in Lorton, the Knights of Columbus Council of Accokeek and the Catholic Veterans Post 1791 in Falls Church.

He enjoyed watching sports, traveling and playing cards. He had been a Washington Redskins season-ticket holder since 1952.

Before moving to Sterling, Mr. Sevcik lived in Oxon Hill and Fort Washington.

He was a longtime member of St. Mary's Catholic Church of Piscataway.

His wife, Frances Picco Sevcik, died in 1976.

There are no immediate survivors.

Archibald Hugh Douglas Jr.

State Department Diplomat

Archibald Hugh Douglas Jr., 81, who spent 33 years as a State Department diplomat, died of pneumonia Oct. 3 at his home in Newport, R.I. He lived in Washington before moving to Rhode Island in 1998.

From 1944 to 1977, he was with the State Department, working the first three years as a diplomatic courier. Subsequent postings took him to Munich and Hamburg; St. John's in Newfoundland, Canada; Glasgow, Scotland; Haiti; Istanbul; Saigon; Barcelona; and Washington.

Over the years, he served as consul and vice consul. He ended his service as consul general in Caracas, Venezuela, from 1974 to 1977.

Before retiring, Mr. Douglas was on the Foreign Service's Board of Examiners in Washington.

Mr. Douglas was born in San Diego and graduated from Princeton University in 1944 with a bachelor's degree in architecture and from the National War College in 1969.

He was in the Army briefly in 1943 and then went to work at the Naval Torpedo Station in Newport.

He was a member of the Princeton Club of New York and of Washington and Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired in Washington.

He was preceded in death by a daughter, Patricia Dale Douglas, in 2002.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Jean Douglas of Newport; three children, A. Hugh Douglas III of Vienna, Stephen T. Douglas of Nashville and Sandra D. Pumroy of Paw Paw, W.Va.; and three grandchildren.