An Oct. 18 Metro in Brief item incorrectly reported the date of an arson fire in Baltimore that killed Angela Dawson, her five children and her husband, Carnell Dawson. The blaze, in the family's home, occurred Oct. 16, 2002. (Published 10/20/04)


Capitol Heights Man Slain in Parking Lot

Prince George's County police are investigating the death of a 22-year-old Capitol Heights man killed in a parking lot early yesterday.

Jermaine Anthony Riley of the 4100 block of Urn Street was leaving a liquor store in the 4700 block of Marlboro Pike when he was shot several times, police said. Officers arrived about 12:30 a.m., and Riley was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police have not identified any suspects in the shooting or determined a motive. The Prince George's County Crime Solvers program will pay up to $1,000 for information that leads to the arrest and indictment of a suspect in the shooting. Anyone with information can call 301-735-1111.

I-95 Clear Following Multivehicle Pileup

Traffic once again flowed freely on Interstate 95 outside of Baltimore yesterday morning, hours after a series of crashes involving 92 vehicles injured 50 people on an 11-mile stretch of the highway.

Police are investigating the accidents, which occurred when a fast-moving storm brought sudden wind, rain and hail to the area about 4:30 Saturday afternoon. Emergency workers began clearing wreckage from the 17 accident sites immediately after the crash. The last blocked lanes were reopened to traffic shortly before midnight.

Four people were admitted to hospitals for injuries from the crashes, according to police. The most serious injury appeared to be a broken leg.

Maj. Greg Shipley of the Maryland State Police praised the efforts of rescue workers and said the relatively small number of severe injuries was unexpected.

"It really has been a surprise to law enforcement and fire and rescue personnel who have walked among the wreckage and seen what happened that more people were not seriously hurt," he said.

Father of Slain Boy to Promote Gun Safety

The Catonsville, Md., father of a 4-year-old boy who was killed after finding his father's loaded handgun wrapped in a towel inside a gym bag during a game of hide-and-seek won't be charged with a crime. Instead, Baltimore prosecutors are allowing Miles Smith to tell his story for a gun safety video and a public service announcement.

Miles Patrick Smith Jr. was killed less than six months ago. His father could have faced the charge of leaving a firearm within the reach of a child, which is a misdemeanor that carries no jail time and a maximum fine of $1,000.

The gun safety video will be shown to Baltimore County police and any other group that requests it. The public safety announcement will be made available to television stations.

Baltimore Home to Become Safe Haven

Baltimore city officials and community leaders have announced plans to turn the home of a family killed by a drug dealer into a safe haven for children and families.

Angela Dawson and her five children were killed in the fire early in the morning of Oct. 16, 2001. Her husband, Carnell Dawson, died a week later of injuries received in the blaze. The Dawsons lived in a three-story rowhouse in an area that had become known as an open-air drug market.

Angela Dawson had called police 35 times between June 26 and Oct. 16 in an attempt to chase young drug dealers from her front steps, according to court records. Carnell Dawson confronted the dealers on numerous occasions.

Drug dealer Darrell L. Brooks was sentenced last year in federal court to life in prison without possibility of parole after he pleaded guilty to arson resulting in death.

Body of Missing Rockville Jogger Found

The body of a 62-year-old Rockville man who had been missing since Wednesday was recovered from the Potomac River yesterday, Montgomery County police said.

A kayaker spotted the body of David H. Wright, who failed to return home after he went jogging, about 1:30 p.m. north of the Old Angler's Inn, police said.

The county Fire and Rescue Service sent boats to the area, and the body was recovered near the Virginia side of the river. According to police, Wright suffered from heart problems.

A search for Wright involving fire and rescue boats, U.S. Park Police officers on horseback and in a helicopter and Montgomery County police officers began Wednesday.

Police said a preliminary investigation showed no sign of foul play. They also said the body will be taken to the state medical examiner's office for an autopsy.


3 Children in Critical Condition After Fire

An accidental kitchen fire was the source of a blaze that left three children in critical condition over the weekend, officials said.

The fire began about 10 p.m. Saturday in an apartment building in the 2500 block of Elvans Road in Southeast Washington. A woman left a pot of food cooking on the stove and went to a neighboring home, said Alan Etter, a spokesman for the D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department. She returned to find the apartment full of smoke, with significant fire damage.

The children, ages 2, 5 and 6, were being treated for severe smoke inhalation, Etter said. A woman in another apartment suffered a broken leg when she leapt from a balcony to avoid the fire.

Sgt. Ronald Kemp, a firefighter, was injured while rescuing one of the children. He was treated for burns and released Saturday night.

Three units were affected and 11 people displaced by the fire, which caused an estimated $65,000 in damage to the building.


Easter Seals Hopes to Restore Camp West

Easter Seals Virginia is attempting to raise more than $1 million to restore a popular Craig County camp that was devastated by the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne.

Camp West has been a favorite of campers with disabilities since it opened in 1957, serving about 500 children annually. The 57-acre camp was closed for the year, forcing it to turn away those who had hoped to spend weeks there this fall.

The seven inches of rain that fell on the camp last month caused $1.2 million in damage, and insurance will cover only $90,000, Easter Seals officials said.

"The human mind and body were not created to sustain a continuous heightened alert. You need to significantly expand the number of people you have performing the services."

-- Gary Hankins, president of a Washington consulting firm for police unions, on the impact of a continuous heightened terrorism alert on local law enforcement officers. -- Page A1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Rebecca Dana and Martin Weil and the Associated Press.