Julie C. Norberg

State Department Employee

Julie C. Norberg, 86, a retired financial officer at the State Department, died of a stroke Oct. 11 at Leewood Nursing Home in Springfield. She lived in Annandale.

She worked for the State Department in the United States and in Greece and Afghanistan. During World War II, she was with the Red Cross and worked in Japan after the end of hostilities.

She moved to the Washington area in 1959 and retired from government work in 1976.

Mrs. Norberg was born in Gaastra, Mich., and graduated from the University of Michigan. She was a member of the American Foreign Service Association and volunteered at the State Department's annual book fair.

Her husband, Stephen Norberg, died in 1961.

Survivors include two sisters and three brothers.

Carrington Oppenheim

Lawyer, Author

Carrington Shields Oppenheim, 94, a lawyer and an author, died of a heart attack Oct. 1 at her home in Washington.

Ms. Shields was born in Oklahoma City and received a bachelor's degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College and a law degree from the Washington College of Law of the American University in 1950. She received her LLM degree from the University of Michigan Law School in 1954 and entered the practice of law in Washington in 1955, specializing in trade association law.

She wrote "Trade Association Law and Practice" (1971) with George P. Lamb, with whom she practiced. She also co-authored "Newspapers and the Anti-Trust Laws," (1981) with her husband, S. Chesterfield Oppenheim. In the 1960s, she taught antitrust and trade regulation law at the Washington College of Law.

Ms. Shields was a member of American University's Helen Palmer Kettler Society and its Women's Law Association.

Her husband died in 1988. There are no immediate survivors.

George H. O'Connor Jr.

Advertising Agency Director

George H. O'Connor Jr., 85, an advertising agency director and coordinator of special events, died Oct. 2 at Georgetown University Hospital of complications from a stroke suffered Sept. 19.

He worked at the Ernest S. Johnston Advertising Agency in Washington from 1982 until 1994.

Mr. O'Connor was a fifth-generation Washingtonian who graduated from Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University. He joined the Navy during World War II and served as a diplomatic courier. Mr. O'Connor, who served in naval intelligence, was fluent in Spanish, Italian and French and could also speak German and Arabic. He rose to the rank of lieutenant commander before his discharge.

After the war, Mr. O'Connor joined the Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor to the Central Intelligence Agency. He resigned in the mid-1960s to care for his ailing mother and sister.

He was a member of the Georgetown 1789 Society and the local chapter of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

John Harrison Hancock

Computer Engineer

John Harrison Hancock, 88, a computer engineer with the Navy, died Oct. 14 of pneumonia at the Colonnades retirement home in Charlottesville, where he lived.

From 1951 to 1975, Mr. Hancock was a mathematician and computer engineer with the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington. He helped design various large-scale mainframe computers. After his retirement in 1975, he was a part-time consultant and tutor.

Mr. Hancock was born in Haleford (now Moneta), Va., and grew up on a farm near Blackstone, Va. He graduated from Hampden-Sydney College in 1938.

He spent a year teaching in a high school before joining the Commonwealth, a magazine published by the Virginia Chamber of Commerce, as an editorial assistant.

He was in the Navy from 1942 to 1946, serving in the Pacific theater, and reached the rank of lieutenant. He moved to the Washington area after World War II to take a position with the National Bureau of Standards as a mathematician.

He attended Brown University, receiving a master's degree in mathematics in 1950, before joining the Naval Research Laboratory.

Mr. Hancock was a member of several professional organizations and Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi. In 1992, Hampden-Sydney College awarded him the Alumni Citation for his work for the college museum and for his alumni affairs work in metropolitan Washington.

He lived in Falls Church from 1960 to 1996. He was a member of Dulin United Methodist Church in Falls Church. He moved to Charlottesville in 1996.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Mary Davidson Hancock of Charlottesville.

Mary K. Larsen

Preschool Teacher

Mary K. Larsen, 82, a preschool teacher in North Potomac, died Oct. 5 of leukemia at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital in Rockville. She lived in North Potomac.

Mrs. Larsen moved to the Washington area in 1988 and worked at Academy Child Development Center from its opening in 1988 until her death.

Before moving to Maryland, she worked for 40 years in the lifeboat and marine technology industry, retiring in 1986 as general manager of Lane Marine Technology in Brooklyn, N.Y.

She was born in St. John's, Newfoundland, and came to the United States at age 3. She grew up in Brooklyn.

She was a founding family member of Our Lady of the Visitation Catholic Church in Darnestown.

Her husband of 27 years, John A. Larsen, died in 1972.

Survivors include two children, Kathy P. Miracco of North Potomac and John E. Larsen of Hobe Sound, Fla.; a sister; a brother; and two grandchildren.

Michael DiBella


Michael DiBella, 85, who was a tailor at department stores, died Oct. 14 of congestive heart failure at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Kensington.

Mr. DiBella was born in Washington and raised in Italy, where he learned the tailoring trade.

During World War II, he served with the Army Corps of Engineers and was stationed in Africa and Normandy, among other places.

After the war, he began working at Hecht's stores, primarily in Silver Spring. He also worked at Raleigh's and Nordstrom stores until 1999.

He was a member of the American Legion.

His wife of 52 years, Agatha R. DiBella, died in 1998.

Survivors include three children, Michael S. DiBella of Columbia, Antoinette Hutzler of Silver Spring and John DiBella of Damascus; a brother; two sisters; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Marguerite Gatlin Young

Elementary School Principal

Marguerite Gatlin Young, 90, a retired principal of Garrett Park Elementary School, died of acute leukemia Oct. 2 at Chambersburg Hospital in Chambersburg, Pa. She had lived in Montgomery County for 55 years until moving to Chambersburg a year ago.

Mrs. Young was born in Chilhowee, Mo. Shortly after her birth, her father, a minister, received an appointment from the United Methodist Church as a Navy chaplain, so she grew up in the Philippines, Hawaii and on the East and West coasts. She received a bachelor's degree from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in 1938 and master's degrees from the University of Minnesota in 1939 and the University of Maryland in 1962. She also did graduate work at George Washington University and the American University in Cambridge, England.

She started teaching at Bradley Elementary School in Bethesda in 1949. In addition to her work at Garrett Park Elementary, from about 1966 until her retirement in 1977, she worked as an area resource teacher and as an assistant principal at Viers Mill Elementary School in Silver Spring. She also held a number of positions in county, state and national teachers associations.

After her retirement, she remained politically active on issues affecting families and children. As a member of the Lobby Corps of the American Association of University Women until 1999, she often lobbied members of Congress. She also enjoyed travel.

Mrs. Young's husband, George Sumner Young, died in 1940.

Survivors include a son, George Sumner Young Jr. of Chambersburg; two grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.