Alvin S. Baraff

Clinical Psychologist

Alvin S. Baraff, 69, a clinical psychologist who organized and ran the Men's Center for at least 30 years, died Oct. 24 of pancreatic cancer at his home in Washington.

Dr. Baraff established the Men's Center, which specializes in treating male psychological disorders, in the early 1970s. He also was a frequent guest on talk shows, including "The Oprah Winfrey Show," "Late Night With David Letterman," "The Armstrong Williams Show" and G. Gordon Liddy's radio show. He wrote several books, including "Men Talk" (1992).

He was a Washington native and had lived here for 60 years.

He was a 1953 graduate of the University of Maryland and received a master's degree from the University of Miami (Fla.) in 1958. He received a Ph.D. from the University of Kentucky in 1960.

He practiced psychology in Atlanta and taught at Emory University from 1960 to 1969, when he moved back to Washington. He worked briefly for the District of Columbia as a psychological counselor at the former Lorton prison in Fairfax County.

His marriage to Judith Millman ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Ramie Janis of Scottsdale, Ariz., and Todd Baraff of Cumming, Ga.; his mother, Betty Baraff of Rockville; a brother, Jay Baraff of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.

Mary Bleecker Simmons

Nurse, Art Gallery Owner

Mary Bleecker Simmons, 67, a registered nurse, psychiatric social worker and art gallery owner, died Oct. 24 at her home in Alexandria. She had lung cancer.

Mrs. Simmons was born in New York City. A graduate of Chatham Hall School in Chatham, Va., she received a bachelor of science degree in nursing from the Columbia University School of Nursing in 1960. She became head nurse at the New York Psychiatric Institute, and after her marriage to Richard D. Simmons in 1961, she became a public health nurse for the New York City Health Department. She subsequently performed similar services for the Oyster Bay Visiting Nurse Association of Long Island.

In 1978, she received a master's degree in social work from Adelphi University on Long Island and became a community services coordinator in Huntington, N.Y., and social work supervisor at the United Presbyterian Residence, an extended care facility in Woodbury, N.Y.

She moved to Washington in 1981, when her husband became president of the Washington Post Company. Opening a private practice in Chevy Chase, she provided counseling and psychotherapy for individuals and groups coping with loss.

From 1990 to 1998, she was the owner of the Rush River Gallery in Washington, Va.

Mrs. Simmons was a former trustee of both Chatham Hall and the Columbia University School of Nursing.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, of Alexandria; two children, Christopher DeWitt Simmons of Alexandria and Robin Simmons Turner of Arlington; a sister; and five grandchildren.

David Robert Gellerman

Communications Company Executive

David Robert Gellerman, 45, an Urbana resident and an executive with Spirent Communications in Rockville, died Oct. 16 in a car accident in western Howard County.

Mr. Gellerman was born in Redwood City, Calif., and grew up in several Latin American countries. He had lived in the area for 37 years and in Urbana since 2001.

He graduated summa cum laude from Virginia Tech University in 1991 with a degree in electrical engineering. He worked for Newbridge Networks in Herndon in the late 1970s before joining Spirent in 1981. At the time of his death, he was vice president for marketing and for corporate planning and technology.

His marriage to Eileen Gellerman ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Daniel Gellerman and Mary Kate Gellerman, both of Urbana; two stepchildren, Matthew Pembleton of Bethesda and Michael Pembleton of Owings Mills; and his father, Robert F. Gellerman of Miami.

Eleanor Case Lott

Executive Secretary

Eleanor Case Lott, 87, a former government secretary who did volunteer work for community-based organizations, died Oct. 21 at her home in Silver Spring. She had Parkinson's disease.

Mrs. Lott was an active member of Takoma Park Meals On Wheels and St. Luke Lutheran Church in Silver Spring.

A native of Illinois and state shorthand champion, she came to Washington in 1936 to work in the typing pool in the office of the secretary of the Agriculture Department.

She worked her way up to executive secretary to the director of personnel before resigning her post in 1946. Around that time, she accompanied her husband, Joseph H. Lott Jr., an Agriculture Department official, on a two-year assignment in Berlin with the Allied occupying forces.

They returned to Silver Spring in 1948.

Her husband died in 1981.

Survivors include three children, Robert H. Lott of Silver Spring, Frederick J. Lott of Erie, Colo., and Deborah Lott Stephens of Kiowa, Colo.; and six grandchildren.

John Law Elliott

Attorney, Theater Enthusiast

John Law Elliott, 69, an attorney in private practice, died Oct. 23 of complications from pneumonia and colitis at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He was a longtime Bethesda resident.

Mr. Elliott, who had lived in the Washington area for 62 years, was born in Berlin to John S. Elliott, a foreign correspondent with the New York Herald Tribune, and Muriel Law Elliott, a British citizen. While his father reported from Germany at the outbreak of World War II, his mother was living in France and had to flee the Nazis with her two sons. Arriving in the United States in 1940, they lived in New Jersey briefly before settling in the Washington area.

Mr. Elliott graduated from St. Alban's School in 1953 and from Washington and Lee University in 1957. After two years as a Army artillery officer in Korea, in 1958 and 1959, he received his law degree from New York University School of Law in the early 1960s.

He practiced law with the Washington firm of Ballard & Beasley, specializing in aviation regulatory law until the airlines were deregulated. Switching to computer systems management, his clients included both individuals and the federal government.

He and his wife were deeply involved in amateur theatrics; they met when both had roles in a production of "Oklahoma." He was a member of the Embassy Players, the Chevy Chase Players, the Rockville Civic Ballet and other theatrical arts organizations.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Irene L. Elliott of Bethesda; and a brother.

John Walter Samborski

Building Inspector, Navy Signalman

John Walter Samborski, 83, a former building inspector with the George Washington University physical plant, died of a stroke Oct 19 at Baltimore's shock trauma unit.

He worked at George Washington's physical plant from 1974 to 1985.

Mr. Samborski was born in Monaville, W.Va. He had lived in the Washington area for 58 years. He was a resident of Riderwood Village in Silver Spring.

From 1940 to 1946, he served in the Navy as a chief signalman on the USS Cleveland, USS Montpelier, and USS Denver. He was awarded six battle stars in the Pacific Theater and one in the European Theater.

Beginning in 1946, he worked as a carpenter at the Washington Navy Yard. He retired in 1974 as a planner and estimator.

He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Knights of Columbus. He also was president of the Prince George's Plaza Senior Citizen Bowling League in the late 1990s.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Ida Mae Thompson of Silver Spring; three children, Linda Ann Fair of Toronto, John Richard Samborski of the District and Helen Marie Haag of Riverdale; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Thomas Grant Walkinshaw

Flight Simulation Entrepreneur

Thomas Grant Walkinshaw, 79, a flight simulation engineer and former chief executive of two start-up companies in Northern Virginia, died Oct. 7 of congestive heart failure at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Most of Mr. Walkinshaw's professional career was spent in the field of military flight simulation, beginning at Melpar Inc., a Falls Church firm, where he rose to become the manager of that company's flight simulation department. In 1965, he joined Conductron Corp. in St. Charles, Mo., and served as project manager of their C-5A simulator program.

In 1967, Mr. Walkinshaw joined four of his colleagues -- Tom Alnutt, Bob Toler, Jim Meyer and Sim Cotton -- in Fairfax to form Simulation Engineering Corporation (SECOR), which later had facilities in Merrifield. He served as chairman and chief executive of SECOR until the company was acquired by Sperry Corp. in 1976. He then became manager of Sperry SECOR, the company's flight simulation arm.

Mr. Walkinshaw left Sperry in 1984 to become a founder -- again with the same four colleagues -- and chief executive of Quintron Corp., a Chantilly-based company in the flight simulation business. He served in that capacity until 1993, when the company was acquired by Loral Corp.

During his career, Mr. Walkinshaw was considered one of the top five leading authorities on helicopter flight simulators. In 1991, he was recognized by the Washington Technology newspaper and the KPMG accounting firm for his accomplishments as an outstanding entrepreneur with the KPMG High Tech Entrepreneur Award.

Mr. Walkinshaw was born in Southbridge, Mass. After graduating from high school in 1942, he served in the Army in World War II. He later graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Massachusetts.

His marriage to France June Brown ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Kay F. Walkinshaw of Fairfax, whom he married in 1975; a son from the first marriage, Thomas Walkinshaw of Gainesville, Va.; two children from the second marriage, Sally Walkinshaw of Herndon and Paul Walkinshaw of Centreville; two stepchildren, Frana Murray of Chantilly and Kim Rodgers of Centreville; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Mary Simmons also did social work. Her art gallery was in Washington, Va.Thomas G. Walkinshaw was considered an expert on flight simulation.