Sex abuse charge: Prince George's County police have charged a Clinton man with sexually abusing a 14-year-old boy.

Officials said the suspect, Marvin F. Nelson, 37, met the teenager Oct. 6 on a telephone chat line. Nelson invited the boy to visit him, then picked him up and drove him to his home in the 8000 block of Pisgah Drive, where the assault occurred, police said. Nelson was charged with third-degree sex offense and related charges.

Police are investigating whether there are additional victims. Anyone with information was urged to call Crime Solvers at 301-735-1111.

Murder conviction: A Prince George's County jury yesterday convicted a Southeast Washington man of first-degree murder and other charges in connection with a shooting in a Temple Hills liquor store in March.

Edward Bell, 29, was found guilty in the slaying of Phillip M. Beverly, 26, officials said. A woman was wounded in the leg in the incident, and Bell was also convicted of one count of attempted murder, prosecutors said.

According to prosecutors, the attack occurred after Bell snapped a young woman's suspenders inside the liquor store. That led to an exchange of words between Bell and the two victims. Bell then pulled out a handgun and started shooting, prosecutors said. He is to be sentenced Jan. 28.


* Prince George's County police are investigating the slaying of a man whose body was found Tuesday in a Chillum house. Officers were summoned to the home in the 800 block of Cox Avenue about 8:30 a.m. to investigate a report of an unresponsive man. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name was not released pending the notification of relatives.


Burglary: A 17-year-old Fairfax County youth was charged with burglary yesterday after he allegedly broke into a house and was apprehended by the owner, who held him at gunpoint and ordered him to call police, Fairfax County police said.

Police said the youth broke into the home in the 3900 block of Collis Oak Court in the Fair Oaks area about 1:50 a.m. yesterday. The homeowner was on the lower level of his home and heard noise coming from upstairs, police said.

Armed with a handgun, the owner confronted the intruder, who was wearing a black ski mask and gloves, police said. He ordered the youth to call police, and the suspect complied, police said.

Compiled from reports by staff writers.