The following free programs will be held at Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. For information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* General bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday.
* Widow/widower bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. Nov. 4.
* Suicide survivors bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday.
* Suicide survivors support group, a six-week program offering information and suggestions for handling this type of grief, 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, beginning Nov. 8. Limited space; registration required.
Health fair, with blood pressure checks, nutrition advice, body mass testing, chair massages, child safety seat installation and child identification, with representatives from the Fairfax County Sheriff's Office, Fairfax County Office on Aging, Alzheimer's Association, the Northern Virginia Dental Society, Victim's Assistance Network, Willard Health Center and the Lion's Club Sight and Hearing van. There will be cholesterol, HDL and glucose screening for a $5 fee. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, Fairfax United Methodist Church, 10300 Stratford Ave. For information, call 703-591-3120.
Diabetes awareness and management workshop, in three parts, for ages 55 and older to discuss the causes, symptoms and treatment of adult-onset diabetes, how to deal with Medicare, the importance of testing blood sugar levels, how to cope in emergencies and how lifestyle changes can reduce or eliminate vulnerability to diabetes. A cooking demonstration during the third session will provide tips on healthy eating through the holiday season. 1:30-3:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Nov. 3-17, at Reston Community Center, 2310 Colts Neck Rd. Cost is $10 for people who live or work in Reston, $20 for others. For information, call 703-476-4500.
Preoperative breast cancer information and support for women who have scheduled a lumpectomy and/or nodal biopsy, 12:30-2 p.m. Wednesday and Nov. 17, Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. For information, call 703-698-2841.
Super Sibling Support Day, designed for siblings of pediatric oncology patients to learn about cancer, talk about their concerns and feelings, do medical play, arts and crafts and games, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday, Ronald McDonald House, 3312 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. For information, call Life With Cancer at 703-698-2841.
The following groups for adults with epilepsy and caregivers are sponsored by the Epilepsy Foundation of the Chesapeake Region. For information, call 703-425-6660.
* Neurology epilepsy support group, 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, Georgetown University Hospital, Lombardi Cancer Center, Second Floor, Podium A-Conference Room, 3800 Reservoir Rd. NW, Washington.
* Northern Virginia Epilepsy Group, 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church.
The following groups are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. For information, call 703-698-2841.
* Young adult group, for ages 18 to 30-something, a discussion of issues relating to intimacy and sexuality when dealing with cancer at a young age, 7:30-9 p.m. today.
* Colorectal cancer group, a discussion of current knowledge of the genetic aspects of colorectal cancer by Allison Mitchell, director of the genetic counseling and screening program at Inova Fairfax Hospital Cancer Center, 6:30-8 p.m. today.
* CanSurvive, a patient-led group, noon-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
* Brain tumor group, noon-1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
* Teens' meet and eat, for youths ages 13-18 who have a family member with cancer, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
* Children's educational support group, for ages 5-12 to find ways to manage the emotions and changes that come when someone in the family has cancer, 5:15-6:15 p.m. Wednesdays, Nov. 3-Dec. 1.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.