John Milton Nagel Jr.
John "Jack" Milton Nagel Jr., 70, who worked as a telephone repairman for 40 years without taking a sick day, died of cancer Oct. 21 at his home in Beltsville.
"He was a healthy, healthy man," daughter Linda Good of Beltsville said.
A native Washingtonian, Mr. Nagel graduated from Bladensburg High School. He served in the Navy at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. After his discharge, he went to work for C&P Telephone Co. and stayed with the utility when it became Bell Atlantic and then Verizon. He retired in 1995 as a communications technician.
He was a member of the National Rifle Association and enjoyed scuba diving in Key West, Fla., and the Cayman Islands. He spent 30 summers at his vacation home near Rehoboth Beach, Del., and enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren.
His wife of 43 years, Margaret Anne Nagel, died in 2001.
Survivors include another daughter, Diane Dalton of Beltsville; four sisters, Constance Nagel of Dunkirk, Barbara Blanton of Charlotte, Caryll Moore of Orlando and Judy Johnston of Cedar Point, N.C.; a brother, James Nagel of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.
Henni L. Baltas
Real Estate Agent
Henni L. Baltas, 77, who had been a real estate agent, died Oct. 14 at her home in Alexandria. She had Alzheimer's.
Mrs. Baltas worked for Merrill Lynch in Alexandria from 1978 to 1986.
Born in Warnau, Germany, she was a children's radio host of "The Tante Henni" show from 1947 to 1949.
Mrs. Baltas had lived in the Washington area for 40 years. She coached youth soccer in Alexandria and was on the Wessynton tennis team.
She was known in her neighborhood for helping people in need, particularly young couples starting out, and often would cook for neighborhood children.
Survivors include her husband, Milton Monty Baltas of Alexandria; two sons, Bruce Baltas of Vienna and Eric Baltas of Springfield; four sisters and two brothers; and one grandchild.
Emma Macgill Hall
Elementary School Teacher
Emma Macgill Hall, 99, a former elementary school teacher in the District, died Oct. 12 of renal failure at Goodwin House retirement community in Alexandria, her residence for the past 25 years.
A native Washingtonian, Mrs. Hall lived in Columbia Heights and Garrett Park as a child. She graduated from Central High School in 1922 and from Wilson Teachers College in 1925. She also took courses during the summers and at night at the University of California at Berkeley, the University of Virginia and George Washington University.
One of the few students in her graduating class to find a teaching job in 1925, she began her 16-year teaching career at Tyler Elementary School in Southeast. She taught second grade and made a point of visiting in the homes of all her students. She also taught second grade at E.V. Brown Elementary School and Lafayette Elementary School.
In 1933, she married William R. Hall, a landscape architect who worked for the Army Corps of Engineers. The couple lived in Kensington for 10 years and in Galveston and Fort Worth, Tex. They also lived in Baltimore before moving to Alexandria in 1956. Mr. Hall died in 1975.
Mrs. Hall belonged to the Chevy Chase Junior Women's Club and was a Girl Scout leader and a volunteer for Alexandria Hospital and Meals on Wheels. She was a member of Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church and, during her years at Goodwin House, a member of Church of the Resurrection (Episcopal) in Alexandria.
Survivors include a daughter, Judith Halesky of Oakton; a sister; two granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.