George Henry Wiegand


George Henry Wiegand, 63, an executive salesman in the printing business, died after a stroke Oct. 21 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He lived in Lorton.

He worked in the printing industry throughout his career. For the past 10 years, he worked at Mid-Atlantic Printers Ltd. in Tysons Corner.

Mr. Wiegand, who was born in Appleton, Wis., graduated from Rutgers University and the College of William and Mary.

He enjoyed golfing and was a member of the Mount Vernon Country Club. He enjoyed chatting the night away with friends.

Survivors include a son, Greg Wiegand of Winchester; two daughters, Cindy Wiegand of Baltimore and Wendy Wiegand of Dyersville, Iowa; three sisters; a brother; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Gladys Idell Bryant Garner

Secretary, Volunteer

Gladys Idell Bryant Garner, 77, a secretary at the old Washington Evening Star and the State Department, died of lung disease Oct. 26 at Fairfax Nursing Center. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Garner was born in East Riverdale and raised in the District's Foggy Bottom neighborhood. She graduated from Western High School and attended Northern Virginia Community College.

She married a State Department employee in 1948 and spent most of the 1950s overseas, stationed in Greece and Hong Kong. Upon their return to the United States in the late 1950s, the couple settled in Arlington.

Mrs. Garner spent the next 15 years as a homemaker and Girl Scout leader. She volunteered at the former Arlington Hospital, the library, the historical society and the National Genealogical Society. She was active in her church circle at Clarendon United Methodist Church and was a member of Ashton Heights Women's Club.

She returned to work in 1975 as a secretary at the State Department. She retired in 1985.

She enjoyed gardening, birding, painting china and playing bridge.

Her husband, James D. Garner, died in 1994.

Survivors include two daughters Deborah Mullan of Fairfax and Robin Miller of Vienna; and a granddaughter.

Marjorie A. Boehlert

Administrator, Researcher

Marjorie A. Boehlert, 75, who had been an administrator for a Falls Church faith-based teaching organization, died Oct. 22 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington from complications associated with rheumatoid arthritis and a blood infection.

Mrs. Boehlert, born in Rumford, Maine, spent about three years as a fashion model in New York with the Powers Agency. While attending Columbia University, she worked at its nuclear labs analyzing and identifying atomic activity using nuclear events on plates exposed to the cyclotron. Her work was noted in several scientific articles.

After moving to Falls Church in 1959, she worked in real estate sales. She then worked for about 15 years as the administrator for Renewing Life Ministries until the 1980s.

Mrs. Boehlert was president of the Women of St. James Church in Falls Church, a member of the Falls Church Women's Club and a volunteer for the Presidential Inaugural Committee. She also was a member of St. Gregory the Great Catholic Church in Bluffton, S.C., where she lived during the winter.

She held a patent on a disposable pet dish.

She traveled extensively in Europe, the Mideast and the Far East. She enjoyed nature and loved her horse, ponies, dogs, cats and rabbits.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, C. Richard Boehlert of Falls Church; five children, Gail Boswell of Houston, Gretchen Rudesyle of Bluffton, Garry Boehlert of Washington, and Stephen Boehlert and Thomas Boehlert, both of Gaithersburg; two brothers; and eight grandchildren.

Miriam Jean Ingberg

Business Owner, Dance Teacher

Miriam Jean Ingberg, 79, co-owner of a heating and air-conditioning firm in Annandale for almost three decades and an assistant dance instructor, died of pancreatic cancer Oct. 26 at her son's home in Annandale.

Mrs. Ingberg was born in Wilmington, Ohio, and attended Ohio State University. She moved to the Washington area 61 years ago and, with her husband, Norval O. Ingberg, owned Ingberg-Mechanical Inc.

From 1994 to 2000, she taught dance through Fairfax County's adult education program at Falls Church High School.

She served on the board of the Northern Virginia Ragtime Society, was past treasurer of the Broyhill Crest Citizens Association and was active in many youth and community organizations. She played accordion for the USO during World War II.

Her husband died in 1984.

Survivors include four children, Scott H. Ingberg of Annandale, Robyn L. Heyer of Manassas, Lori J. Ingberg of Nashville and Todd D. Ingberg of Annandale; and two grandchildren.

Charles E. Hannan


Charles E. Hannan, 82, a surgeon who had a private practice in Arlington since 1955, died Oct. 20 after a stroke at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. He lived in McLean.

Dr. Hannan specialized in colorectal surgery and served as clinical instructor in surgery at Georgetown University Medical School from 1955 to 1965. He was on staff at Arlington Hospital (now Virginia Hospital Center), and was a member of Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital when it opened in 1960.

He was born in Johnstown, Pa.; his father was also a surgeon.

Dr. Hannan received a bachelor's degree from Penn State University in 1942 and his medical degree from Thomas Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in 1946. After two years of medical residency and a year of specialization in colorectal surgery at Reading Hospital in Pennsylvania, Dr. Hannan moved to the Washington area, where he completed two years of residency at Georgetown University Hospital.

During the Korean War, Dr. Hannan, an Army captain, was chief of surgery for the 8076th MASH unit, twice serving as unit commander.

A former president of the Arlington County Medical Society, Dr. Hannan was also a member of the American Medical Association and the Virginia State Medical Society. From 1970 to 1985, he was chairman of the Medical Advisory Council of the Medical Service of DC. He was a diplomate of the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Colorectal Surgery, as well as a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and the Piedmont Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons.

His marriage to Nancy T. Diesel ended in divorce.

Survivors include seven children, Cara Hannan of Round Hill, Matthew Hannan of Quicksburg, Va., Jeffrey Hannan of San Francisco, Jonathan Hannan of Thieusies, Belgium, Jennifer Hannan of Warrenton, Charlotte Ahner of Lake Worth, Fla., and Charles Hannan III of Reading; and six grandchildren.

Wilbur W. DeAtley


Wilbur W. DeAtley, 89, a chemist, died of leukemia Oct. 25 at his son's home in Arlington. He was an Arlington resident.

Mr. DeAtley, who lived in Arlington, worked for the Navy at its Indian Head facility from 1959 until retiring in 1983.

Mr. DeAtley, who was born in Billings, Mont., received a bachelor's degree from the University of Montana and a master's degree from the University of Chicago in 1937.

He worked for Kodak and DuPont in Niagara Falls, N.Y., before moving to the Washington area.

Mr. DeAtley was a member of the American Chemical Society.

His wife, Marjorie DeAtley, died in 1986.

Survivors include two sons, Brian DeAtley of Arlington and Richard DeAtley of Indian Head; and four grandchildren.

Ardeth Taber-Dudas

Technical Writer, Editor

Ardeth Taber-Dudas, 55, a technical writer and editor, died of cancer Oct. 24 at Capital Hospice. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Taber-Dudas, a native of Duanesburg, N.Y., worked for NASA and a number of Washington's top telecommunications firms until the late 1990s. She was a member of the Society for Technical Communication.

Before moving to Washington in 1988, she was an instructor at Lanier Business Systems and as a sales representative for Unisys in Albany, N.Y.

Survivors include her husband of 11 years, John Dudas of Alexandria.

Tazewell F. Rufty

Technical Illustrator

Tazewell F. "Taz" Rufty, 78, a technical illustrator at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington for 49 years, died of a stroke Oct. 18 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. He lived in Mason Neck, Va.

Mr. Rufty, a native of Richmond, pursued a multifaceted career in the Washington area. As a young man, he became enamored with ballroom dancing. He taught and participated in exhibition dances, for which he won numerous trophies and accolades.

He was an excellent pianist, playing entirely by ear. He had a repertoire of hundreds of songs, with a special affinity for classical and jazz music.

Early on, Mr. Rufty became fascinated with photography, starting with an old Speed Graphic camera. His love of the camera meshed with a growing interest in sports cars, racing, and sports car rallying. People continue to call his home in search of photographs of particular drivers and races, his wife said.

He carried his camera on many travels with his wife, circuiting the globe from Africa to Siberia. He often gave slide-illustrated travel talks to various groups, which proved most popular, especially because he was quite a raconteur.

Mr. Rufty retired in the 1990s and devoted himself to preserving Mason Neck.

His marriage to Gay H. Rufty ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Cynthia Rufty of Mason Neck; a stepdaughter, Dr. Thia Hellman of Norfolk; and three grandchildren.

Una Rhodes Thibodeaux

Homemaker, Volunteer

Una Rhodes Thibodeaux, 85, a homemaker who volunteered at St. Martin de Porres Senior Center in Alexandria, died Oct. 25 at Georgetown University Hospital of complications after hip surgery. She had lived in Northern Virginia for more than 50 years.

Mrs. Thibodeaux was born in Morgan City, La., and grew up in Houma, La. She graduated from Southwestern Louisiana University in 1944 and taught elementary school in Louisiana.

She moved to Alexandria after World War II with her husband, Earl C. Thibodeaux, a career CIA employee. He died in 1989.

She did substitute teaching and was a tutor at elementary schools in Alexandria and was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Community in Alexandria.

Survivors include two daughters, Tomi Browne of McLean and Teri Cueman of Niskayuna, N.Y.; and five grandsons.