Marjorie Charlton Hathaway
Marjorie Charlton Hathaway, 75, a reading tutor and a volunteer, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Oct. 22 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. She was a longtime Alexandria resident and most recently lived in Woodstock.
Mrs. Hathaway privately tutored students from the mid-1960s until about 1992 and also worked at St. Agnes School and Bishop Ireton High School. She then moved to Selma, Ala., where, working with the Edmundite Mission, she spent three years teaching rural, impoverished children how to read.
She was born in Louisville and graduated from Marymount College in Tarrytown, N.Y. She married a CIA employee in 1951 and spent the next 14 years in Frankfurt, Berlin and Rio de Janeiro.
The couple returned to Alexandria in 1965. In addition to her tutoring work, Mrs. Hathaway also volunteered for the Red Cross and with hospice organizations. She moved to Woodstock in 1995.
She had an effervescent personality, a friend said, and her garden contained a field of red poppies, which caught the attention of a newspaper photographer. She was a member of St. John Bosco Catholic Church in Woodstock and attended Mass daily and many religious retreats. She also was known for volunteering to watch children whose parents needed time off and for driving cancer patients to chemotherapy appointments.
Her marriage to Gardner Rugg Hathaway II ended in divorce.
Survivors include three sons, Gardner Rugg Hathaway III of Montrose, W.Va., and Charlton William Hathaway and Taylor Ham Hathaway, both of Charlottesville; two brothers; a sister; and three grandchildren.
H. Wise Kelly Jr.
H. Wise Kelly Jr., 82, a lawyer who later became a bank president, died Oct. 15 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications of a stroke. He lived at the Virginian, a retirement home in Fairfax County.
From the late 1940s to the early 1960s, he had a general law practice in the city of Fairfax with the firm of Kelly, Louk, Lawson and Chess. Beginning in 1963, Mr. Kelly turned his attention to banking and was president of the National Bank of Fairfax for about 10 years. After its merger with other banks, Mr. Kelly remained active in banking until he retired in 1985.
A Fairfax native, he graduated from Fairfax High School and Washington and Lee University. He received a law degree from Washington and Lee in 1947. Kelly Square, a commercial district in Fairfax, is named for Mr. Kelly's family and is situated on his family's ancestral property.
He served on the Fairfax City Council in the 1970s and was president of the Fairfax County Bar Association.
Mr. Kelly lived in Fairfax City most of his life, except for eight years in the 1950s and 1960s, when he had a farm in Loudoun County. He enjoyed gardening and travel.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Agnes Patterson Kelly of Fairfax County; three children, H. Wise Kelly III of Fairfax City, Meredith K. Houff of Luray, Va., and Julia Kelly of Mount Vernon, N.Y.; and five grandchildren.
Dorothy Anne Cahill
Teacher, Nurse, Nun
Dorothy Anne Cahill, 91, an English teacher, nurse and nun of the Congregation of the Holy Cross, died Oct. 26 of cancer at St. Angela's Hall in Kensington, where she lived.
Sister Dorothy Anne, who was born in Meriden, Conn., lived in the Washington area off and on since 1916. She attended Ross School and Western High School and graduated from the Academy of the Holy Cross in Kensington in 1930. She entered the Congregation of the Holy Cross in 1933 and professed her final vows as a nun in 1940. She graduated from St Mary's College in Indiana. She received a master's degree in English from Catholic University in 1952.
After teaching in Catholic high schools in Indiana, Texas and Illinois, Sister Dorothy Anne returned to Washington in 1948 to teach at St. Cecilia's Academy.
Except for brief teaching stints in Norfolk, from 1949 to 1950, and Lancaster, Pa., from 1961 to 1963, she continued to teach in Washington area schools for the rest of her career. She was at St. Patrick's Academy in Washington from 1950 to 1952, St. Cecilia's from 1952 to 1961 and St. Mary's Academy in Alexandria from 1963 to 1978.
In 1977, Sister Dorothy Anne became a licensed practical nurse. She worked at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria from 1978 to 1984 and at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring, where she performed administrative duties and directed the children's safety seat program, until her death.
Until moving to St. Angela's Hall this year, she had lived for many years at her order's residence at the Academy of the Holy Cross in Kensington.
In addition to teaching and nursing, she enjoyed bingo, poker, jigsaw puzzles and cheering for the Washington Redskins.
There are no immediate survivors.