Attempted robbery: Two suspects in an attempted bank robbery in Anne Arundel County were arrested yesterday after they crashed their van in Prince George's County during a chase, officials said.

Anne Arundel police were trying last night to verify the men's identities, said Capt. Thomas E. Rzepkowski. Police found two handguns, masks and gloves that investigators believe the men had just used, the captain said.

Shortly after 3 p.m., two men tried to rob the Susquehanna Bank in Edgewater, police said. After they failed to get any money, they ran to a van and drove away, police said. Anne Arundel Officer John Robinson later pursued a van of the same description, which struck a concrete median at Central Avenue and Route 202 in Largo. Robinson, whose vehicle ran off the road, was admitted to Prince George's Hospital Center in stable condition.


'Gentleman Bandit': Kevin Patrick Luke Brown, dubbed the "Gentleman Bandit," was sentenced yesterday to about 15 years in prison after his conviction in the armed robbery of a SunTrust Bank in August 2003.

U.S. District Chief Judge Thomas F. Hogan sentenced Brown, 52, formerly of Forestville, to about five years for armed robbery and illegal possession of a firearm. Hogan then sentenced him to an additional 10 years for illegally using a firearm during a violent crime. A federal jury convicted Brown of the charges in May 2004.

According to evidence at trial, Brown, dressed in a gray suit, entered the SunTrust Bank at 1925 K St. NW, showed a pistol and ordered teller employees to fill a bag with money. While trying to zip the bag closed, Brown fired his 9mm pistol and then tried unsuccessfully to flee.

Officer sentenced: A D.C. police officer was sentenced yesterday to serve 30 days in jail for an off-duty attack in which he struck a man with the butt of a shotgun.

The officer, Gregory Smith, 40, had pleaded guilty in August to simple assault and possession of a prohibited weapon, the U.S. attorney's office said. Smith is resigning from the police department as part of his plea agreement.

According to prosecutors, on May 1, Smith went to the Northeast Washington home of his ex-wife and encountered her and a friend. Brandishing the shotgun, Smith confronted them and then hit his ex-wife's friend in the forehead. In sentencing Smith, Judge Kaye K. Christian gave him a total of about 18 months but suspended all but 30 days of the jail time.


* A 33-year-old man was fatally shot early yesterday in Southeast Washington, D.C. police said. Responding to reports of a shooting, police discovered the man about 3:20 a.m. in the 3400 block of 13th Place SE. The man, whose identity was withheld pending notification of relatives, was shot in the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.


Conviction stands: The U.S. Supreme Court refused yesterday to overturn the conviction of a Manassas man in the death of his young daughter in a sweltering van.

Without comment, the court denied the appeal of Kevin C. Kelly in the death of 21-month-old Frances Kelly, who was found dead in May 2002 after she was left in the van for seven hours. Temperatures in the van, which was parked outside the family's home, were estimated to have reached 120 degrees.

In his appeal, Kelly said he could not be held criminally negligent because he had instructed his older children to take their younger siblings out of the van. Kelly argued that he never checked on her because he assumed she was safely sleeping inside the house.

Murder indictments: Two Maryland men were indicted in Alexandria yesterday in the Sept. 16 fatal shooting of a pizza deliveryman in Old Town Alexandria.

A grand jury indicted Metkel Alana, 26, of Capitol Heights and Antowaun Lynch, 20, of Fairmont Heights on charges of capital murder, robbery and firearm violations in the slaying of Musharaf Shah, 47. Shah, an employee of Pizza Hut, was shot in the chest during a robbery after delivering pizzas to the Firehook Bakery in the 200 block of North Fayette Street, police said.

Alana and Lynch have been held in the Alexandria Detention Center without bond since their earlier arrest on unrelated robbery charges. It was the first of two homicides in Alexandria this year.

Compiled from reports by staff writers and the Associated Press.