The 14-mile route typically follows diamond-shaped green-and-blue Interim Anacostia Riverwalk Trail signs. For more information, go to www.ddot.dc.gov and click on "bicycle programs."
* Start on sidewalk in front of Maine Avenue Fish Wharf at 1100 Maine Avenue SW.
* Follow Water Street (adjacent to Maine Avenue) to Waterfront Promenade at Police/Fire Pier.
* Follow Promenade to Titanic Memorial.
* Turn left onto P Street promenade.
* Continue straight onto P Street SW (passing Fort McNair on right).
* Turn right onto Second Street. Follow to end (Roosevelt Hall visible on right).
* Turn left onto V Street (Coast Guard headquarters on right).
* Turn left onto Half Street (Earth Conservation Corps's Mathew Henson Center, small section of demonstration trail, on right).
* Turn right onto Potomac Avenue, under Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge (South Capitol Street Bridge).
* Bear left onto First Street SE (on the right is the restored pumphouse, along with another section of demonstration trail).
* Turn right onto M Street SE, past Navy Yard on right, Eighth Street/Barracks Row on left.
* Turn right onto 11th Street SE.
* At bottom of hill, turn left onto O Street SE. After one block, this turns into Water Street (Anacostia Community Boathouse, third section of demonstration trail on right) and then becomes M Street. The road dead-ends at railroad tracks. (Marinas and views of the river on right.)
* Retrace M Street back to 11th. Right onto 11th.
* Turn right onto K Street SE. Follow to Barney Circle.
* Go around circle on sidewalk, crossing Pennsylvania Avenue, Kentucky Avenue and 17th Street.
* Down hill to access road for Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium.
* Follow RFK access road, with river to your right (passing Heritage Island), until you reach Benning Road bridge.
* Turn right onto sidewalk at Benning Road NE.
* Cross Anacostia River on sidewalk of bridge.
* Make sharp right into River Terrace Park trail just before Anacostia Avenue. Trail merges with access road (river views on right, playgrounds and houses on left).
* This part of the trail officially ends just before the Whitney Young Bridge (East Capitol Street) -- at least until the District builds a bicycle/pedestrian bridge over the CSX railroad tracks. Bear left on path toward Anacostia Avenue, turn right onto Anacostia Avenue, then take quick left onto Capitol Street.
* Follow Capitol to ramp and around onto Whitney Young/East Capitol Bridge.
* Follow sidewalk to RFK parking lots, cross lots back toward river onto access road, continue to Barney Circle.
* Follow signs around the circle, staying on sidewalks, crossing Sousa Bridge (or, if you've had enough, you can head back to the Fish Wharf by turning right onto K Street SE, right onto 13th Street, left onto I, left onto 11th Street, and right onto M Street. Then retrace the first part of the route, except take First Street SE, instead of Second SE, from V to P after you pass under the Douglass bridge).
* From the Sousa bridge, follow ramp down to Anacostia Drive (to the right, the road ends at the Anacostia Pavilion and the Aquatic Research Center). Turn left onto Anacostia Drive. Pass the Anacostia Pool and Recreation Center, as well as playgrounds, ballfields and basketball and tennis courts.
* Turn left at the sign for Howard Road, then right onto newly paved trail.
* Follow trail to the right under Douglass Bridge, then left up ramp onto bridge's south sidewalk.
* Cross bridge (osprey nest down and to the left, stadium site straight ahead).
* Turn left onto O Street SW, quick left onto Half Street, quick right onto P Street.
* Follow P to promenade, turn right onto Water Street, back to Fish Wharf.