The following free programs will be held at Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* Widow and widower bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. today or 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesday.
* Reston widow and widower bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. Wednesday at Reston Community Center at Lake Anne, 1609-A Washington Plaza.
* Suicide survivors support group, a six-week program offering information and suggestions for handling this type of grief, 7:30-9 p.m. Mondays, beginning Monday. Limited space; preregistration required.
* Coping with the holidays after the death of loved one, 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday.
Reston community blood drive, conducted by Inova Blood Donor Services, 3:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, United Christian Parish, 2222 Colts Neck Rd., Reston. Donors must be 17 or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health for three days before donating. A photo identification is required. Donating is scheduled at 15-minute intervals and requires an hour. For an appointment, call David Roe at 703-860-9430.
Northern Virginia Epilepsy Group, 7-9 p.m. Wednesdays, Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail, Falls Church. For more information, call 703-425-6660.
La Leche League of Fairfax City, for pregnant and nursing women and their children, 10 a.m. Wednesday, Fairfax Christian Church, 10185 Main St., Fairfax. Free. For more information, call 703-481-7861.
Gay people and families support group, parents, families and friends of lesbians and gays discuss issues around coming out, 8 p.m. Tuesday, Beverly Hills Community United Methodist Church, 3412 Old Dominion Blvd., Alexandria. Free. For more information, call 301-439-3524.
Caregiver support group, for older adult family caregivers, 10:30 a.m.-noon today and Nov. 18, Vienna Seventh-day Adventist Church, 233 Courthouse Rd. SW. For more information, call 703-281-0538.
United Ostomy Association, Northern Virginia chapter support group, 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Inova Fairfax Hospital, conference rooms D-E-F, 3300 Gallows Rd., Falls Church. Use Blue parking garage. For more information, call 703-802-3457.
The following groups are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Preregistration required. 703-698-2841.
* Melanoma group, 7-8:30 p.m. today.
* Thyroid cancer support group, 10:30 a.m.-noon Saturday.
* Gynecologic cancer group, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday.
* Leukemia support group, physician Richard Binder discusses the ingredients that make up a good doctor-patient relationship, 7-9 p.m. next Thursday.
* Colorectal cancer group, 6:30-8 p.m. next Thursday.
* CanSurvive, a patient-led, drop-in general cancer support group, noon-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.