It looks as though former Prince George's County delegation chair Rushern L. Baker III is running for something.
The question is, for what?
All he's saying is that he's "back in the game." At least that's what he was saying on the invitation to his birthday party last Saturday.
The caption accompanying a picture of him throwing a football said, "Supporters rally to cheer his awaited return to the field of leading the people of Prince George's County."
Guests were asked for a donation of $50 to $100. The host committee included more than four dozen names, including Del. Barbara A. Frush (D-Calverton) and Karren Jo Pope-Onwukwe, a lawyer and treasurer for the Prince George's Democratic Central Committee.
"It means I plan to take a more active role in what's happening in the county," Baker said. "It lets everybody know I'm taking a serious, hard look at getting back into public life. I just don't feel like the county is living up to its full potential, and it's kind of frustrating sitting on the sidelines."
Sounds like another run for county executive may be in the making.
Defeating 'Question H'
Arthur Turner, a community activist, said the winning campaign to block the push to add two at-large seats to the County Council came down to education.
"We were successful because the citizens realized what Question H was all about . . . overturning term limits," Turner said.
Once people knew, it was just a matter of spreading the word, he said. He called his friends and told them to call their friends, he said.
"This was a true grass-roots effort," Turner said.
The campaign, which led to more than 70 percent of voters opposing the ballot question, was funded by "citizens, concerned businesspeople, church groups and companies," Turner said.
He denied charges made by proponents of the initiative that money for his campaign came from the campaign coffers of council members who opposed the initiative.
Elected officials did have something to do with the success, however.
Council members who were opposed to the initiative took turns attending community forums, posted "Vote No on Question H" signs around the county, and passed out fliers in front of grocery stores.
They also branded the measure "Question H." It was an attempt to make sure voters were reminded of which council member would benefit most if the initiative passed: Thomas R. Hendershot (D-New Carrollton).
Had it been approved, the initiative would not only have expanded the size of the council, it would have changed the way council leadership is selected and allowed district-based council members unable to run for reelection because of term limits to run for at-large seats. Hendershot, in the middle of his second term, is the only council member prohibited from running for reelection.
Hendershot on the Mend
Speaking of Hendershot, he is resting comfortably at home after undergoing quadruple bypass surgery last week.
Hendershot was released from Prince George's Hospital Center on Saturday -- four days after the nearly six-hour surgery.
"He's doing well," said Carol White, a legislative aide. "He's following doctors' orders."
White said that Hendershot is not expected back at work until January, just before the new legislative session begins.
Hendershot pushed his doctors to perform the surgery at Prince George's Hospital Center, which has had trouble attracting self-paying patients. Hendershot said last week that his doctors wanted him to have the procedure at Washington Medical Center.
"He got excellent care," White said. "He was very pleased to be at Prince George's Hospital."