Hope for the Holidays, a free grief seminar sponsored by the Washington Regional Transplant consortium, 2-4 p.m., Saturday. Kathleen Persson, director of grief and loss services at Capital Hospice, will lead the gathering to help participants find ways to manage the stress of the holiday season after the death of a loved one. The seminar will be at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital, at the Weinschel Education Center, in the Elm and Maple Room, 9901 Medical Center Dr., Rockville. For more information or to RSVP, call 703-641-0100.
The following free programs will be held at Haven of Northern Virginia, 4606 Ravensworth Rd., Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org.
* General bereavement support group, 7:30-9 p.m. Wednesday.
* Widow/widower bereavement support group, 2-3:30 p.m. next Thursday.
Good Grief dinner for ages 13-18 to meet with others who have lost a loved one to cancer, share thoughts and feelings, and learn about the grief process, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. 703-698-2841.
Community blood drive, sponsored by the Genesis Federal Credit Union and Inova Blood Donor Services, 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Genesis Federal Credit Union, 6708 Backlick Rd., Springfield. Donors must be 17 or older, in general good health and have a photo ID. For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, call 703-245-6134.
The following free programs, sponsored by the Epilepsy Foundation of the Chesapeake Region for adults with seizure disorders and their caregivers, will be held at Falls Church High School, Room 100, 7521 Jaguar Trail. For more information, call 703-425-6660.
* Northern Virginia epilepsy group, 7-8 p.m. Wednesdays,
* Photosensitive seizures, presented by Pavel Klein of the Mid-Atlantic Epilepsy and Sleep Center, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Lymphoma support group, physician Michael Bishop of the National Cancer Institute presents "Diagnostic and Prognostic Indicators for People With Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma," 6:30-8 p.m., Monday, Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. 703-960-1100, Ext. 231.
The following free support groups are held at Life With Cancer Family Center, 2832 Juniper St., Merrifield. Registration required. 703-698-2841.
* Leukemia Group, 7-9 p.m. today.
* Multiple myeloma group, 11:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Tuesday.
* CanSurvive, a general cancer support group, noon-1:30 p.m. Thursdays.
* Young adult group, for ages 18 to 30s, 7:30-9 p.m. today.
* Lymphedema group, 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
* Colorectal cancer group, 6:30-8 p.m. today.
* Lung cancer group, 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday.
-- Compiled by JEAN MACK
To Submit an Item
Mail: Health Notes, Fairfax Extra, The Washington Post, 4020 University Dr., Suite 220, Fairfax, Va. 22030
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from public and nonprofit groups and must be received at least 14 days before the publication date. Include event name, dates, times, street address, cost and publishable contact phone number.