Numbers in parentheses correspond to location numbers in location key. If an event falls on or around a holiday, call ahead to confirm that the event is being held.
Because of the flu vaccine shortage this year, local health officials are advising area residents to await further information on the allocation of available vaccine.
* The Calvert County Health Department is planning a flu vaccine clinic for county residents in one of the high risk categories; ages 65 or older, ages 6-23 months old or ages 2-64 with chronic health problems. The clinic is scheduled from noon to 6 p.m. Thursday at the Calvert Pines Senior Center in Prince Frederick. For updates, call the Health Department's recorded flu line at 410-535-5400, 301-855-1353, Ext. 349, or visit www.calverthealth.org.
* The Charles County Health Department does not have any clinics planned. Appointments are no longer being accepted while the department waits for further guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from state officials. For more information, call 301-609-6900, Ext. 6011.
* The St. Mary's County Health Department will offer residents of long-term care facilities vaccine if it becomes available. Information about flu clinics will be distributed through newspapers and radio stations. The department can be reached at 301-475-4330.
MedStar Health Visiting Nurses Association's new office in Camp Springs is offering home care in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and southern Prince George's counties. Services include wound care, infusion and rehabilitation. Specialty care in cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, ostomy, oncology, stroke and joint replacement rehabilitation, diabetes, maternal/child health, pediatrics and respiratory therapy is available. Call 301-931-3100.
CIVISTA ON THE LINE
Civista Medical Center offers free referrals of medical staff members. Callers can also register for Civista-sponsored events and classes and receive information on health-related county resources. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. 888-332-4847.
FREEDOM FROM SMOKING
* Seven-week course sponsored by Civista Health and the American Lung Association. Call for dates and times. Civista Medical Center (8). $40. 301-609-4327.
* Pre-Quit class offered by the St. Mary's County Health Department. Learn more about how the 10-week cessation program works. Classes begin in January. Light refreshments served. 7-8 p.m. Dec. 9, Health Department office, Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-4356.
The Southern Maryland chapter of the Ostomy Association of America is available to anyone seeking information. Call Jerry Kluckman at 410-326-2207.
ASTHMA AND ALLERGY CENTER
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers a detailed evaluation, including complete medical history, physical examination, consultation with a pulmonologist and a breathing test. Call 301-877-4616.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers transportation for outpatient services when personal transportation is not available. Call 301-877-4357.
"ANGELS HAVE WHEELS"
Medicare recipients who have arthritis, cardiovascular disease or respiratory disorders and have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. For more information, call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings 11 a.m.-1 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. No appointment needed. Free. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings 1-3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of each month in La Plata. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings 11 a.m.-noon the first and third Thursdays of each month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (13) offers screenings 10-11 a.m. the first Friday of each month. Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) offers screenings noon-8 p.m. Thursdays in the hospital solarium. Free.
* St. Mary's Medical Center at Charlotte Hall offers screenings 9 a.m.-noon the first Friday of the month. Free. 301-290-1499.
* St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers screenings 9 a.m.-noon the second Friday of each month in the lobby. Free.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers whole-body scans, including specialized scans that provide a detailed look inside the coronary arteries and the heart. Call 410-414-4782.
"Look Good, Feel Better," an American Cancer Society program to help female cancer patients cope with hair and skin changes during treatment. 10 a.m.-noon Saturday, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
* Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Noon-1 p.m. or 6-7 p.m. Thursdays, through Dec. 16. Class will meet Nov. 23 instead of Thanksgiving Day.
* Presented by St. Mary's Health Department. Ten-week program beginning tomorrow includes information on tobacco products, secondhand smoke and how to quit. Call to reserve a spot. 301-475-6019.
* Offered by Civista Medical Center (8). Seven-session course to help smokers quit. Call for times and dates. $40.
RELAX AND REJUVENATE
Learn meditation and relaxation techniques for general wellness and to help relieve stress, chronic illness and recovery from surgery. 7-8 p.m. Wednesday, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $42.
A free monthly discussion focusing on women of all ages. This month, "Embarrassed by Incontinence?" 7-8 p.m. Tuesday, Molly Claire Tea Room at the Berry Patch, Route 231, Prince Frederick.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers a variety of courses in CPR techniques for adults, infants and children. Certification for health care providers. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times of classes.
Learn to look for signs of stress and how to take actions to reduce it. Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16), Colony South Hotel and Conference Center. Free. Call 301-877-7370 for dates and times of bimonthly classes.
Learn how many calories you need. Meet your weight goal with a personalized diet prepared by a registered dietitian. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for appointment. $40.
Have your body composition assessed. Receive a computer printout of your lean body mass, body fat and recommendations for optimal weight and weight loss. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for an appointment. $50.
Get a fitness assessment from a certified fitness trainer. Tests evaluate muscle strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and body composition. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for an appointment. $50.
Healthy Alternatives (12) offers basic exercises to condition and activate deep muscles, flatten the abdomen, and alleviate stress and tension. For class information, call 410-414-4507.
Learn gentle soft movements that help open joints, relax the body and center the mind. Twenty-four-Movement Taiji is also available. Call Healthy Alternatives (12) for more information, 410-414-4507.
Useful for smoking cessation, weight reduction, stress management and more. Call Healthy Alternatives (12) at 410-414-4507.
Treat depression, anxiety, migraines, nausea, infertility and more. Call Healthy Alternatives (12) at 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program on how to balance lifestyles and diabetes. This program is covered by most health insurance plans. To schedule an appointment, call 410-414-4809.
* At St. Mary's Hospital (14), professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Call 301-475-6185.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
* Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare Inc. offers two-hour classes at a variety of times and locations in Charles and St. Mary's counties. $5 each session. Call Carol Wright to register, 301-870-7816.
HEALTH TALK SPEAKERS
Health care professionals are available to present programs on health topics at businesses or to community groups. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety, and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
A demonstration to warn against tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children in grades 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
These exercise classes are designed to strengthen and tone muscles and increase flexibility. Participants will use dumbbells, resistance bands and other exercise equipment. Certified instructors. 6:15-7:15 p.m. Thursdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Registration not required. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. 888-332-4847.
* Healthy Alternatives provides yoga for all ages and all fitness levels. For class dates and times, call Healthy Alternatives (12), 410-414-4507.
* This class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays or 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. 888-332-4847.
* Beginning Yoga, a class for beginners, teaches flexibility exercises and relaxation and strengthening techniques. Registration not required. 10-10:45 a.m. Mondays, Civista Women's Health Center (9). Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Offered by Healthy Alternatives (12), Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements for relaxation. Learn simple movement exercises to maintain softness and range of motion. Clients remain fully clothed. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
Civista Antenatal Testing Center in La Plata offers five evening classes or a one-day Saturday class to prepare you and your support person for a safe birthing experience. Topics on getting to know your newborn include sleeping, feeding, infant safety, growth and development, and how to know when your baby is sick. A tour of the Family Birthing Center is included. Registration and prepayment required. 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 4 or 18. Call for other dates and times. Civista Antenatal Testing Center (6). $85.
BIG KIDS AND BABIES
* A program designed to prepare siblings ages 3 to 5 for the arrival of a baby. Includes video presentation and a birth center tour. Free for families delivering at Calvert Memorial Hospital. 10-11:15 a.m. Dec. 11, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3), classroom 1. $12 for each child.
* Offered by Civista Medical Center to prepare ages 2-8 for the arrival of the new baby. Free to moms who deliver at the center. 2-3 p.m. Dec. 11, Civista Medical Center (8) in the lobby. $5.
BABYSITTER TRAINING COURSE
For children ages 11-13. Class includes first aid, rescue breathing, child safety and infant and child care. 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Nov. 20, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $39.
BABY CARE BASICS
* New and expectant parents learn about feedings, immunizations and treating minor illness for children ages 2 months-1 year. CPR training is not provided in this class. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 8, Calvert Memorial Hospital annex (4). $9 a couple.
* Class includes certification in first aid and CPR for infants and children. Education and information on selecting car seats and cribs, baby-proofing your home, bathing, diapering and feeding. For expectant and new parents only. 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 4, Civista Women's Health Center (9). $60.
INFANT CPR AND SAFETY
New and expectant parents, grandparents and babysitters learn CPR for infants up to a year old. Led by certified American Heart Association instructor. 6-8 p.m. Dec. 7, Calvert Memorial Hospital annex (4). $24.
INCREDIBLE YEARS PROGRAM
The Center for Children offers empowerment and problem-solving tips for parents and guardians in Charles and St. Mary's counties. For information on this and other center programs, call 301-609-9887 or 301-475-8860.
PARENTING GROUP DISCUSSION
Develop skills necessary to deal with today's issues. The 10-week parenting and family values curriculum addresses issues of young children and adolescents. 6-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Walden/Sierra Inc., 44871 St. Andrew's Church Rd., California. Sessions, $5 each; one-time workbook fee, $25. 301-863-6661.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
* Expectant parents tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). A question-and-answer period follows. 2 p.m., the third Sunday of each month. Meet in the emergency room department. Free.
* Tour the birth center, meet staff members and tour the nursery at Civista Medical Center (8). 7-8 p.m. Dec. 15. Free.
* St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers a series of monthly parenting classes free to parents who plan to deliver their child at the hospital. Classes cover baby care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Call 301-475-6019 for times and dates of classes.
* The Breast-Feeding Resource Center's certified lactation consultants will answer questions or provide a private consultation. Breast pumps and other items will be available for rent or purchase. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Call 301-997-6505 to talk to a lactation consultant.
* The Nurturing Necessities class includes instruction on labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options and more. $100. Call 410-414-5414 for times and dates of classes.
St. Mary's Hospital (14) offers a six-week course that teaches hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to help relieve stress. You can begin the class any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
Provided by a trained therapist. 5-7 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); 9 a.m.-noon, first and third Saturdays of each month, Dunkirk Medical Center (10); 4-7 p.m. first and third Saturdays of each month and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays, Solomons Medical Center (15). One-hour session, $60. 410-414-4507 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4507.
GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP
Calvert Hospice offers four drop-in meetings for county residents grieving the loss of a loved one. Noon-1 p.m. Mondays, Smithville United Methodist Church, Dunkirk; 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesdays and noon-1 p.m. Thursdays, Calvert Hospice, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick; noon-1 p.m., Wednesdays, Olivet United Methodist Church, Lusby. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
Family members welcome. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16). Free.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210. For information on speakers and topics, call 410-414-4670.
Family members welcome. Fridays, Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times, 410-326-6655.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Carl Garland at 410-535-4461, Ext. 106.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. Call 301-932-6196.
* Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month at Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (15) sponsors this group. 7:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
* Man to Man, an American Cancer Society support program, provides an opportunity to meet with health professionals and learn more about the disease, treatment options, survival issues, resources and more. 6-8 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8). Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) sponsors this group. 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free.
* 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* St. Mary's Hospital group welcomes family and friends. Snacks provided. 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (14). Free. 301-475-6070.
* Charles County Health Department is forming a support group for cancer survivors and their caregivers. 7-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of each month, Health Partners Clinic (11), next to the Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, Waldorf. Free. 301-743-7272.
2:30-4:30 p.m. the third Sunday of each month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) library. Free.
For caregivers of any age who provide care for an older adult. 2 p.m. the last Wednesday of each month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
Friends and family welcome. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (16) library.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers this group to survivors and caregivers. Clinical professionals will be available to answer questions and share ideas for improving physical, social and emotional health. 5:30-7 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free. 410-414-4800.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center support group is open to family members. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
* Family members welcome. 7-8 p.m. the third Wednesday (except holidays) of each month, Civista Medical Center (8) cafeteria. Registration not required.
* At Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For dates, times and topics, call 410-414-4527.
Meets 2-4 p.m. or 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of each month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group Hotline at 410-414-4783.
Open to all ages. Friends and family members welcome. Meets 2-4 p.m. the fourth Saturday of each month, Civista Medical Center (8). 11:30 a.m. Dec. 9 will be a special holiday luncheon meeting. Open to people of all ages who have the disease and their family and friends. 888-332-4847.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513.