A 42-year-old Baltimore man died yesterday after being found in the wreckage of a car that apparently had been hidden in brush for days after swerving off a major highway interchange, Maryland State Police said.

Adam W. Moore was semiconscious when state highway employees found him trapped behind the wheel of a minivan that had crashed amid dense brush and trees at the interchange of Interstate 95 and the Baltimore Beltway in the White Marsh area, police said.

Moore reportedly had last been seen by relatives about two weeks ago, state police said. It was not clear when the crash occurred, but when Moore was found, he was asked how long he had been trapped. Police said he wordlessly raised three fingers.

That and his physical state suggested that he had been wedged inside the vehicle for three days, police said.

"He was a good man," his wife, Eartha, said last night. She said he was a skilled mechanic who worked at a variety of trades, including auto repair and home construction and as a welder.

She said she had been calling the area hospitals to try to find him. The bad news ultimately came to her from state police.

Police said that thick brush had shielded Moore's green 1995 Ford Windstar minivan from the view of the hundreds of thousands of motorists passing by on the two major interstates.

"It certainly would have been difficult for anyone to see him just driving by," said Sgt. Thornnie Rouse, a Maryland State Police spokesman.

About 2:30 p.m. yesterday, state highway workers, moving from the inner loop of Interstate 695 to the northbound lanes of I-95, spotted what they thought was a vehicle in the thicket of trees and brush about 200 feet from the road.

They went to the site on foot and found the minivan, with Moore in the driver's seat.

He was taken to Franklin Square Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Investigators said the vehicle had apparently plunged off the left side of a ramp connecting I-95 with I-695 and hurtled down a slope. Then, they said, the minivan apparently barreled through brush and small trees before striking a large tree and coming to a halt.

Officials said they are awaiting an autopsy to help determine what may have caused the crash and Moore's death.

The rescue attempt and subsequent investigation backed up traffic on I-95 for several hours, officials said.

Staff writer Martin Weil contributed to this report.