The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, for a week or on a regular basis.
Anne Arundel County Department of Aging is seeking volunteers for the following programs. For information, call 410-222-4464.
* Retired and Senior Volunteer Program needs computer-literate senior volunteers with general office experience who are available at least once a week to help with more than 20 programs for seniors.
* Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) needs volunteers to work once a week with two or three students in grades 6 and 9 on problem-solving and study skills. Anne Arundel County schools will train AVID tutors for placement in all middle and high schools.
* BWI Pathfinder needs volunteers to assist travelers and answer questions at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. Training is held quarterly and is followed by four coaching sessions.
* The Ombudsman program, which advocates for elderly residents in nursing homes, needs volunteers to visit seniors in local nursing homes. Under the direction of the ombudsman program staff, volunteers may provide access to other services, help resolve problems and be a friend to isolated and lonely nursing home residents.
Arundel Lodge needs volunteers to assist with a Thanksgiving Day meal for mentally ill clients. Arundel Lodge is at 2012 Renard Ct., Suite I, in Annapolis. Volunteers can help with cooking and set-up starting at 9 a.m., dinner from noon to 2 p.m. and cleanup until about 4 p.m. Anyone interested in helping for all or part of the day, or in making a donation, may call Laura Neate at 410-841-6131.
Fannie Mae Foundation's 17th Annual Help the Homeless Walkathon on the national Mall in Washington needs volunteers to assist with registration, course monitoring, T-shirt distribution, water stations and more from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday. For information, contact Alicia Reynolds at 703-447-0242 or email@example.com.
Happy Helpers for the Homeless provides food, toiletries and clothing to the hungry and the homeless and has the following opportunities for volunteers:
* National Family Volunteer Day, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Volunteers can help prepare sandwiches for the homeless or prepare and wrap gifts at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church at 308 Oak Manor Dr. in Glen Burnie.
* Thanksgiving Day meal, 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Nov. 25. Volunteers will help serve a holiday meal to the needy in Baltimore and Glen Burnie or visit with guests and distribute new blankets and other necessities in Curtis Bay.
For information, call Amber or Bobbi Coffman at 410-766-4973.
Helen Avalynne Tawes Garden has a variety of volunteer opportunities, including:
* Helping the naturalist with tours for children and adults during the spring and fall.
* Working in the gift shop in two-hour shifts weekly or twice monthly, with flexible hours, on-the job training and free parking.
* Tending natural and cultivated areas by planting, watering, mulching, weeding and pruning. Volunteers can work independently or with the garden staff.
* Helping the Tawes Garden Advisory Board with such issues as planning, sequence of development, staffing, maintenance, programming, fundraising and special events.
* Projects for community organizations, high school student service groups and Scout groups.
For information about these and other opportunities, contact Don Myers at Tawes State Office Building, 580 Taylor Ave., E-3, Annapolis, or 410-260-8183.
Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary in Lothian needs volunteers to lead a variety of weekend programs for families. A naturalist training workshop, with tips and tricks for adults and older teens, will be held from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. The workshop will focus on the fundamentals of creating programs that introduce families to the wonders of nature. Some natural history knowledge is useful. For information, contact 410-741-9330, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.jugbay.org.
Pascal Senior Center needs volunteers for its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program from January through April to help seniors with uncomplicated tax returns. Volunteers are trained by the IRS. Days and times are available to meet your schedule. Call 410-222-6680.
American Cancer Society needs office support at its Gambrills office. Volunteers are also needed to serve as advocates, speakers and cosmetologists, to visitor patients, and to staff health fairs. Many opportunities are available on weekends or evenings. Road to Recovery volunteers are sought to drive cancer patients to and from their treatment locations for a few hours each month between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Contact Debbie Russell or Barbara Lafferty at 410-721-4304 or www.cancer.org.
Heavens Gate Animal Rescue Limited participates in Petsmart's pet adoption programs at the Ordinance Road and Arundel Mills stores. Volunteers are needed to play Santa, to take photos of Santa and pets, and to help with registration and assembling photo packets in two-hour shifts from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 4, 5, 11, 12, 17, 18, and 19. Lunch is provided. Call Joann at 410-636-1360 or Linda at 410-789-3144.
-- Compiled by SHARON FANNING
To Submit an Item
Mail: Volunteers, Anne Arundel Extra, The Washington Post, 3 Church Cir., Annapolis, Md. 21401
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from nonprofit groups.