The D.C. Water and Sewer Authority is conducting its annual program to flush water mains throughout the city, a procedure designed to remove sediment and improve water quality.
From 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, WASA crews are opening fire hydrants in designated neighborhoods and flushing water.
The water supply to customers is not shut off during the flushing.
Customers might notice some water discoloration. If that happens, WASA recommends that residents open the cold water tap and allow the water to flow slowly until it is clear.
Customers should not run hot water or do laundry during the flushing. If the hot water becomes discolored, WASA recommends flushing the hot water tank by opening the valve at the bottom of the tank.
The flushing program will continue through November.
These neighborhoods, with boundary streets, are scheduled for flushing the week starting Monday, according to information provided by WASA:
* ANC 7B: (Work area in Southeast, bounded by Fort Dupont Street, Southern Avenue, Pennsylvania Avenue and Alabama Avenue).
* ANC 8E: (Work area in Southeast, bounded by Valley Avenue, 9th Street, Chesapeake Street and 4th Street).
* ANC 8A (Work area in Southeast, bounded by Milwaukee Place, Martin Luther King Avenue, Portland Street and 2nd Street).
* ANC 7C (Work area in Northeast, bounded by Eastern Avenue, Minnesota Avenue, Polk Street and Anacostia Avenue).
* ANC 7C (Work area in Northeast, bounded by Eastern Avenue, 57th Street, Dix Street and 52nd Street).
* ANC 7A (Work area bounded by Clay Place NE, Anacostia Avenue SE, Ely Place SE and 40th Place SE).
* ANC 7C (Work area in Northeast, bounded by Dix Street, 57th Street, East Capitol Street and 50th Street).
* ANC 7C (Work area in Northeast, bounded by Meade Street, 50th Street, Sheriff Road and Minnesota Avenue).
* ANC 7B (Work area in Southeast, bounded by Massachusetts Avenue, 39th Street, Pennsylvania Avenue and 33rd Street).
The following two areas will be flushed at night this week, from 10:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
* ANC 6C (Work area bounded by E Street SE, South Capitol Street, M Street SE and 4th Street SW).
* ANC 6B (Work area in Southeast, bounded by E Street, 11th Street, M Street SE and South Capitol Street).
For information, call the WASA Water Quality Office, 202-612-3440, 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. In an emergency, call WASA's 24-hour hotline, 202-612-3400.