The March 4 obituary of James Julius Halsema incorrectly said his father was killed by Japanese bombing in the Philippines in World War II. He was killed by American bombs. (Published 3/5/05)

James Julius Halsema

Foreign Service Officer

James Julius Halsema, 86, a Foreign Service officer and former foreign correspondent, died Feb. 18 at a hospital in Glenmoore, Pa., after a stroke.

Mr. Halsema was a leading authority on the Philippines, where he grew up and was a journalist before entering the Foreign Service. He also wrote two books and many articles about the Philippines and his family's role there.

He was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved with his family to Baguio on the island of Luzon when he was 5 months old. His father was an engineer in the region and was mayor of Baguio.

Mr. Halsema returned to the United States to attend Duke University, from which he graduated in 1940. He then went back to the Philippines as editor of the weekly Baguio supplement of the Manila Daily Bulletin. Arrested by Japanese authorities, he served 37 months in internment camps, where he was tortured, before his release in 1945.

After the war, he was reunited with his mother, who had fled to the jungle to live with Filipino tribespeople. His father was killed by Japanese bombing.

Immediately after World War II, Mr. Halsema covered news in Indonesia and the Philippines for the Associated Press. After returning to the United States in 1948, he received a master's degree the next year in international relations from Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in Washington.

He joined the Foreign Service in 1949, serving in what was later the U.S. Information Agency in Washington and in overseas assignments in Singapore, Manila, Bangkok, Cairo and Santiago, Chile. He retired in 1979.

Mr. Halsema, who had bought a farm in Chester County, Pa., in 1949, moved there permanently in 1982. He was a consultant on Philippine-American affairs and wrote two books, "Bishop Brent's Baguio School" (1988), about the school he attended as a boy; and "E.J. Halsema: Colonial Engineer" (1991), a biography of his father.

A son, Wayne Halsema, died in 1997. A daughter, Louise Halsema, died Feb. 14.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Alice Cleveland Halsema of Glenmoore; four children, Margaret Hedstrom of Concord, Mass., Jane Halsema of San Diego, Charlotte Halsema of Brentwood, Tenn., and Paul Halsema of Phoenixville, Pa.; and five grandchildren.

Cordy Hammond

Life Actuary

Cordy Hammond, 86, who worked 16 years as a life actuary at the D.C. Department of Insurance and Securities Regulation before retiring in 1980, died of cancer Feb. 6 at his home in Durham, N.C.

Before moving to Durham in 1991, Mr. Hammond made his home in Washington, where he had also worked as a labor economist for the U.S. Labor Department from 1951 to 1964. During that time, he was a mentor to young African Americans pursuing civil service careers.

Mr. Hammond was an elder at Sargent Memorial Presbyterian Church in Washington and a member of its chancel choir and men's club.

He was born in Vienna, Ga., and was valedictorian of his high school graduating class. As a young man, he worked in the print shop of a weekly newspaper.

In the spring of 1941, he joined the Army and served in an all-black engineer unit in North Africa and Italy during World War II.

His wife of 23 years, Celestia Hammond, died in 1964.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Anita Hammond of Durham; two children from his first marriage, Kevin Hammond and Angela Hammond, both of Washington; a son from his second marriage, Charles Hammond of Durham; and a granddaughter.

Benjamin F. Slingluff

Pepco Chief Test Engineer

Benjamin Franklin Slingluff, 92, who worked for Pepco from 1937 to 1975 and retired as chief test engineer, died Feb. 25 at Solomons Nursing Center. He had pneumonia.

Mr. Slingluff was a Philadelphia native and an electrical engineering graduate of Drexel University.

During his career, he lectured at Columbia Technical Institute, George Washington University and the Agriculture Department's graduate school program. He held a patent on technology to change the flow of fluid or gas in underground cable joints for power companies.

He chaired several Washington chapter committees of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.

His memberships included the Masons.

Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Ruth Deale Slingluff of Solomons.

Henson Raymond DeBruler Jr.

Air Force Colonel, CIA Official

Henson Raymond DeBruler Jr, 84, a retired Air Force colonel who also worked with the Central Intelligence Agency, died Feb. 13 of congestive heart failure at his home in Woodbridge.

He entered the Army Air Forces in 1942 and served stateside during World War II. He also served in the Philippines and had two tours of duty in Vietnam. He worked at the Pentagon for 10 years and was an intelligence officer with the Defense Intelligence Agency until 1974, when he retired from the Air Force.

At the CIA, his work focused on strategic weapons. He worked for George H.W. Bush when he was CIA director. He retired from the CIA in 1988.

Col. DeBruler was born in Indianapolis and grew up in Los Angeles. He received a bachelor's degree in biology from UCLA in 1941 and a master's degree in international relations from George Washington University in 1965.

His honors included the Defense Distinguished Service Medal and the National Defense Meritorious Service Medal.

He was a member of the CIA Retirees Association and the Military Officers Association. He also was a member of Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Alexandria.

His wife of 54 years, Edna M. DeBruler, died in 2003.

Survivors include three children, Teena Schmidle of Alexandria, Henson R. DeBruler III of Woodbridge and Dale DeBruler of Alexandria; and eight grandchildren.