Eva Watkins

Research Analyst

Eva Watkins, 86, a former special research analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of complications of heart disease May 4 at her home in the Lincolnia area of Alexandria.

Born in Rose Hill, Miss., Miss Watkins attended junior college in Moorhead, Miss., and graduated from Mississippi State College for Women in 1939. After graduation, she taught home economics in Houston, Miss., before joining the Office of Army Intelligence in Washington in 1942.

She rose through the ranks of government service, becoming a special research analyst with the Office of Army Intelligence. She continued in that position after the OAI was incorporated into the Defense Intelligence Agency in 1963. She retired in 1983.

Miss Watkins was active in the Shillelaghs Travel Club until after her retirement. She was a patron of the Washington Theatre Guild and the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

She was an accomplished artist working in various media -- oil, pastels and charcoal -- and enjoyed playing the piano.

In retirement, her other hobbies included gardening and volunteering.

She had lived in the same neighborhood since 1950 and had acted as a block captain delivering a neighborhood newsletter for more than 40 years.

She also designed and produced notecards for the Smithsonian Institution gift shop using dried, pressed flowers.

Survivors include a sister, Elsie Robinson of Florence, Miss.

Mary Louise R. Shenkman

AAA Employee

Mary Louise Rittenhouse Shenkman, 92, who worked for AAA from the 1950s to the mid-1980s as an office manager and administrator, died May 28 at Inova Cameron Glen nursing home in Reston. She had complications from a foot infection.

Mrs. Shenkman was a native of Neosho, Mo., and a graduate of the Jewish Hospital of St. Louis nursing school. She did nursing work in St. Louis in the 1930s and early 1940s and then settled in the Washington area.

She spent 17 years at the Tall Oaks assisted-living facility in Reston before moving to Cameron Glen in January.

Her first husband, Dr. Lawrence E. Friedman, died in the early 1940s, and her second husband, Morris Shenkman, died in 1993.

Survivors include a daughter from the first marriage, Susan Cremins Henabery of Potomac Falls; three grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Dee Dee Della Penna

Office Manager

Dee Dee Della Penna, 60, an insurance firm office manager, died May 16 of lung cancer at Inova Loudoun Hospital in Lansdowne. She was a Sterling resident.

Mrs. Della Penna was born in Arlington County, where her father, Charlie Petrosky, owned the landmark Safeway Barbershop for 46 years. She graduated in 1962 from Bishop O'Connell High School, where she was president of her class and a member of the National Honor Society.

She went to work as an operator for Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. shortly after graduation and worked her way up to a secondary management position before leaving in the early 1970s to start a family.

In 1985, she joined the Fairfax insurance firm of Stynchula, Herbert & Associates, founded by former Washington Redskin Andy Stynchula. She was an office manager and service consultant and handled employee benefits.

"She was a perfectionist in any task she undertook," said her employer and brother-in-law, John Herbert. "She worked for me for 19 years and never made a mistake."

Mrs. Della Penna enjoyed singing and dancing and being with family and friends.

Survivors include her husband of 36 years, Tom Della Penna of Sterling; a son, Thomas Charles "T.C." Della Penna of Herndon; a sister, Patricia Herbert of Fairfax Station; a brother, Charles T. Petrosky of Albertville, Ala.; and a grandson.

John Irwin


John Irwin, 80, a microbiologist, died May 30 at Collington Episcopal Life Care Community in Mitchellville, where he lived. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Dr. Irwin was an environmental virologist with the National Institutes of Health's Division of Research Services for 21 years before his 1989 retirement. Before joining NIH, he was chief of the virology section and acting chief of environmental microbiology in the Bureau of Laboratories in the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare until 1968.

In retirement, Dr. Irwin was a consultant and part-time contractor for the University of Maryland's Department of Environmental Safety, where he was also biological safety officer and executive secretary of the biological and chemical hygiene committee.

He was born in New York City and graduated from Cornell University and also received his master's degree in microbiology from Cornell in 1958. He received his doctoral degree in the field in 1964 from the University of Maryland.

Dr. Irwin was a member of the American Society for Microbiology and a certified public health and medical laboratory specialist of the American Academy of Microbiology.

He also was a member of Congregational Church of Christ in Silver Spring. He enjoyed fishing and leatherworking.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Bridget Coyne Irwin of Mitchellville.

Philip Pear

Tax Lawyer, Accountant

Philip Pear, 85, a tax lawyer and an accountant in the Washington area for four decades, died of pneumonia May 31 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda.

Mr. Pear was a member of the Montgomery County Revenue Authority from 1961 to 1967 and a member of Maryland's State Board of Higher Education from 1971 to 1988, during which he led efforts to increase state aid to colleges and universities. He also helped establish the Center for Biomedical Ethics at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville.

Mr. Pear was born in Washington, graduated from Central High School and received bachelor's and law degrees from George Washington University. During World War II, he served stateside in the Navy. He practiced law in a small firm and as a sole practitioner. He was a founder of State National Bank in Bethesda.

Mr. Pear enjoyed art, travel, theater and music.

His wife of 38 years, Marion Kopel Pear, died in 1983.

Survivors include his wife of 21 years, Muriel Miller Pear of Bethesda; two sons from his first marriage, Douglas Pear of Baltimore and Robert Pear of Bethesda; a brother, Leon Pear of San Diego; a sister, Vivian Pear Barnett of Rockville; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Charles V.P. von Luttichau

Military Historian

Charles V.P. von Luttichau, 87, a military historian, died May 27 at Halquist Memorial Inpatient Hospice Center in Arlington. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. von Luttichau was born in Bern, Switzerland. His undergraduate education came in Austria and Germany, and he did graduate work in economics, history and international relations at the universities of Berlin and Munich. He received a master's degree in 1952 from American University.

During World War II, he served in the antiaircraft division of the German air force in Germany, France and Russia and taught tactics and military history at the German Air Force Academy in Berlin.

In 1947, after the war, he worked for the U.S. consulate general in Munich, where he served as a liaison with the Bavarian government, businesses, unions and cultural institutions.

Mr. von Luttichau immigrated to the United States in 1949 and became a historian in the Army's military history department from 1951 until he retired in 1986. He contributed to works in the Army Center of Military History's series on the European theater of operations. His history of the German campaign to Russia, "The Road to Moscow," is to be published by the center this year.

Mr. von Luttichau also wrote a history of the Army's role in Vietnam, serving twice in Southeast Asia as a historian. He also served as a consultant to a Time-Life World War II book series and for motion pictures and television.

He was chairman of the Foreign Language Department Advisory Committee of the Department of Agriculture's Graduate School, where he taught for 30 years. He was a co-founder of the U.S. Commission on Military History.

His first marriage to Benigna von Rohr Luttichau ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Ann von Luttichau of Washington; and a son from his first marriage, Victor von Luttichau of Miami.

Paul Miller Jr.

Army Colonel

Paul Miller Jr., 74, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army who later worked for the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of a heart attack May 19 at Royal Haven nursing home in Front Royal.

Col. Miller was a native Washingtonian but grew up elsewhere because his father was in the Army. He attended UCLA for two years until he entered the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., where he graduated in 1954. He served in the field artillery, then received a master's degree in chemistry from Pennsylvania State University in 1962. Col. Miller taught chemistry at West Point for four years.

He served two tours in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star, among other medals. He retired from the Army in 1980 and became an analyst for the CIA. He worked briefly for BDM, a defense contractor.

Col. Miller then joined the DIA, where he was working when he became ill with viral encephalitis and broke his neck in a traffic accident in 2002.

He was a member of the Army Navy Country Club and enjoyed contract bridge, fly fishing and bass fishing.

Survivors include his wife, Judith Miller of Falls Church; two sons, Paul Steven Miller of Annandale and James Lee Miller of Berkeley, Calif.; and a sister.

John Joseph Walsh

Environmental Scientist

John Joseph Walsh, 62, a scientist who specialized in the cleanup of hazardous materials, most recently with the Environmental Protection Agency, died May 26 at his home in Springfield. He had spinal surgery last year, which led to temporary paralysis and other complications. An autopsy is being performed to determine the cause of death.

Mr. Walsh joined the Army in 1966 and served in the Chemical Corps, including two tours in Vietnam. He received the Bronze Star and left the Army in 1973 with the rank of captain.

Since then, he worked in a variety of environmental cleanup operations, with a specialty in managing and controlling hazardous materials. After holding a position with Science Applications Inc. of McLean in the 1970s, he worked throughout the 1980s for environmental companies in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

He returned to the Washington area in 1988 as a project manager with PEER Consultants in Rockville, where he worked until 1992. He worked with Resource Applications Inc. of Falls Church and Hazardous Materials Control Resources Institute in Rockville in 1993 and 1994. From 1995 to 2003, as a civilian employee of the Air Force, he managed nearly 200 oil tanks at Andrews Air Force Base, as well as underground pipelines.

In 2003, Mr. Walsh joined the EPA's Oil Program staff as an environmental scientist, serving as a senior staff member in oil spill prevention and preparedness programs.

Over the years, he was an independent contractor for a number of government agencies in reclaiming hazardous waste sites; the agencies included the departments of Defense and Energy, the Federal Aviation Administration and the U.S. Coast Guard. He was sometimes called on to ensure the environmental safety of land and water after airplane crashes.

Mr. Walsh was born in Copiague, N.Y., and graduated from the University of Nebraska.

He was a member of the Academy of Certified Hazardous Materials Managers and had been president of the local chapter.

He enjoyed Shelby Cobra sports cars and had built one from a kit with his wife. He was a member of the Capital Area Cobra Club.

Survivors include his wife of nine years, Sarah Anne Walsh of Springfield; two stepchildren, Jeff Keith of Cottontown, Tenn., and Karen Nolan of Cookeville, Tenn.; two brothers; and four grandchildren.

William A. McGowan

NASA Aeronautical Engineer

William A. McGowan, 83, a retired aeronautical engineer with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, died May 29 of complications caused by a massive stroke at the Fairfax Nursing Center in Fairfax. He was a McLean resident.

Mr. McGowan was born in Jersey Shore, Pa., and received a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering from the University of Notre Dame in 1943. He was in the Navy during World War II and served as a flight line officer on Okinawa.

After the war he worked briefly for Pratt and Whitney and then became an aeronautical research engineer for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, NASA's predecessor, at Langley Field in Hampton, Va. In 1962, he transferred to NASA headquarters in Washington, where he became chief of the operating factors branch in the aeronautical operating systems division of NASA's Office of Advanced Research and Technology. In this position, he supervised research efforts on slippery runways, fog modification, detection of invisible turbulence and other areas. He retired in 1976.

Mr. McGowan's interests included hiking, fishing and gardening. He also was a Boy Scout leader and a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Lucy Briel of McLean; six children, Mary D. Kobak of Landenberg, Pa., John P. McGowan of Vienna, Michael W. McGowan of Edgewood, N.M., Thomas K. McGowan of McLean, James B. McGowan of Oak Hill, Va., and David R. McGowan of Glen Allen, Va.; a brother, Robert P. McGowan of Bel Air, Md.; and nine grandchildren.