Richard Andrew Helgeson

Silver Spring Student

Richard Andrew Helgeson, 18, a senior at Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring and co-captain of the school's varsity lacrosse team, died May 25 at his home in Silver Spring.

A spokeswoman for the Maryland medical examiner's office said the cause of death is pending further tests.

Mr. Helgeson was born in Silver Spring and spent many summers as a camp counselor at the Jewish Community Center in Rockville. He also participated in the Olney Children's Ballet Theater.

He played lacrosse much of the year in club teams in Montgomery County. At his high school, he was named most valuable senior lacrosse player. He recently learned that he was named first team All County.

Mr. Helgeson was sports editor for the high school yearbook. He was the recipient of the Terry Hicks memorial scholarship, given to a student leader. He had planned to attend Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey and study accounting.

He was a member of Temple Emanuel in Kensington.

Survivors include his parents, Richard and Rita Helgeson, and a sister, Jennifer Helgeson, all of Silver Spring.

Norman Frederick Stultz Jr.

FBI Sections Chief

Norman Frederick Stultz, Jr., 81, a former section chief in the FBI's National Crime Information Center, died May 4 at his home in Plymouth, Mass. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Stultz, a native of Brockton, Mass., moved to Washington in 1942. He worked in the records section of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, before serving in the Army in Europe during World War II.

After the war, he returned to Washington and the FBI, working as a supervisor in the records section. He went to law school on the GI Bill and received a law degree from George Washington University in 1950. A year later, he was sworn in as a special agent for the FBI and was assigned to the Charlotte field office in Kinston, N.C. He later transferred to the Detroit office.

In 1955, Mr. Stultz moved to Silver Spring to work at FBI headquarters as a section chief in the records section. From 1964 to 1966, he served in the field office in New Orleans. He returned to Silver Spring to work at the then-new National Crime Information Center at FBI headquarters, where he later served as a section chief. He retired in 1974.

Mr. Stultz then worked as a consultant to domestic and foreign law enforcement agencies. In 1986, he moved to Plymouth, where he later became a regional president for the National Association of Retired Federal Employees and lobbied Congress on their behalf. He continued working until 1995.

His marriage to Verle V. Stultz ended in divorce.

His wife of 19 years, Patricia Brock Stultz, also died May 4, of lung cancer.

Survivors include four children from his first marriage, Norman F. Stultz of Silver Spring, Charles R. Stultz of Frederick, Marcia Denise Stultz of Boonsboro, Md., and Ann Stultz McConchie of Brewster, Mass.; a brother; and five grandchildren.

Marilyn Nesper Hewlett

Cathedral Aide, Volunteer

Marilyn Nesper Hewlett, 81, a former staff aide and volunteer at Washington National Cathedral, died of cancer May 28 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Hewlett was born in Toledo. She graduated summa cum laude from the State University of Iowa in Iowa City and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Zeta Phi Eta and Delta Sigma Rho. She was a member of Alpha Delta Pi, a social sorority, and later was president of the mid-Atlantic province of Alpha Delta Pi.

After receiving her master's degree from Iowa in 1947, she taught speech and English for five years at Chicago's Pestalozzi-Froebel Teachers College and the University of Illinois in Chicago.

In 1951, Mrs. Hewlett moved to the Washington area with her husband, and they lived in Annandale for six years. She was a member of Truro Episcopal Church in Fairfax and was director of the church school. She was also a member of the Tuesday Afternoon Club in Fairfax.

Mrs. Hewlett moved to Bethesda in 1957 and joined St. John's Episcopal Church, Norwood Parish, where she taught in the church school and served on the vestry and as vice president of the Women of St. John's. She organized the newcomers calling project and made more than 300 home visits to prospective members. She also served on the Christian education, music and liturgical committees and helped establish the St. James mission in Potomac. In the 1980s, she was a member of the long-range planning committee at St. John's.

At National Cathedral, Mrs. Hewlett was a part-time staff aide for 20 years until 1996 and then served as a volunteer docent until 2002. She was a member of the Cathedral Founders Society. She was on the board of the Young Women's Christian Home in Washington from 1969 to 1971.

Survivors include her husband of 58 years, Richard G. Hewlett of Bethesda.

Chris Truitt

Metro Transit Police Officer

Chris Truitt, 43, who for the past 16 years was a police officer with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, died of gallbladder cancer June 3 at the home of friends in St. Leonard.

Mr. Truitt, who lived in Washington, had spent the past three months in St. Leonard to be closer to his children.

Thomas Christopher Truitt was born in Washington and graduated from Woodrow Wilson Senior High School in 1981. He attended Mars Hill College in North Carolina and served in the Army Reserve from 1987 to 1993.

He was a member of the Police Emerald Society, the Fraternal Order of Police and the Society of Mary, a religious organization.

His marriage to Alyson Stretch Truitt ended in divorce.

Survivors include four sons, Jameson Castleman Truitt, Matthew Mason Lane Truitt, Andrew Ormonde Davidson Truitt and Brendan McKenzie Truitt, all of Lusby; his father, Max O'Rell Truitt Jr. of Washington; his stepmother, Susan Truitt of Silver Spring; two brothers, Dawson Barkley Truitt and Robin Mason Truitt, both of Washington; a half sister, Sarah Barkley Truitt, and a half brother, James Edwin Truitt, both of Washington; and two stepsisters, Jennifer Elizabeth Olney of Mill Valley, Calif., and Lise McLean Olney of Wellesley, Mass.