During a span of nearly a month last year, Anthony J. Cole went on a violent rampage: He murdered two people, tried to kill two others, committed an armed carjacking and sexually assaulted a woman.

Cole, who was 17 at the time and lived in Capitol Heights, attacked dozens of Latino and African immigrants in Riverdale Park, Landover Hills, Langley Park and Bladensburg. The victims were working people, strangers to Cole, targets of opportunity.

When he was arrested Sept. 15, Cole confessed to Prince George's County police detectives. He even identified two of his robbery victims from photographs.

Cole's reckoning came yesterday in Prince George's Circuit Court, where he pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder, eight counts of robbery with a deadly weapon, six counts of first-degree assault and the carjacking and sexual attack.

His sentence: two terms of life in prison, to be served consecutively, plus 40 years, to be served consecutively to the life sentences.

Circuit Court Judge Graydon S. McKee III also sentenced Cole, who now is 18, to 455 years in prison for the other crimes but allowed those years to be served concurrently with the other sentences.

Assistant State's Attorney Fran Longwell said Cole probably would not get a parole hearing for about 60 years.

Longwell said that the guilty pleas were a good resolution and that the sentences were appropriate.

"I don't think this kid has any conscience," the prosecutor said. "Pretty scary."

Cole acted alone in all but two of the crimes, armed robberies in which an alleged accomplice is facing charges, Longwell said.

Cole said little during yesterday's hearing. His attorney, Assistant Public Defender Denton Lynch, declined to comment.

State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey said, "The defendant preyed upon very vulnerable members of the community and was basically a one-man crime wave. It's good for all of us in Prince George's County that he's off the streets."

According to a statement of facts acknowledged by Cole and submitted by Longwell to McKee as part of the plea agreement, Cole's crime wave began Aug. 15 and ended Sept. 12.

As the crimes went on, Cole became increasingly violent, going from brandishing handguns to shooting his victims, according to the statement.

In the Aug. 15 attack, Cole and another assailant robbed two men at gunpoint. Sept. 5, four people were standing in front of an apartment building in Hyattsville when Cole, armed with a handgun, confronted them. He was rifling through one of the victims' pockets when Baudilio Ramos Osorio, 37, tried to run.

Cole shot him in the back, according to the statement of facts. Ramos Osorio was pronounced dead at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Four days later, about 9:30 p.m., Ricardo Jimenez Santa-Maria was standing in a Riverdale Park parking lot, preparing to give money to a cousin.

Cole stepped toward the cousin, pointed a handgun at her and demanded money. When Jimenez Santa-Maria stepped in front of his cousin, Cole shot him, according to the statement of facts. Jimenez Santa-Maria also was pronounced dead at Prince George's Hospital Center.