Sylvia B. Barnes

Store Co-Founder; Artist

Sylvia B. Barnes, 89, a homemaker who helped her husband found the C.L. Barnes chain of furniture stores, died May 30 of complications linked to cancer at Capital Hospice in Arlington.

Mrs. Barnes was born in Washington and as a child lived for five years in Sweden. After returning to Washington with her parents, she graduated from Eastern High School in 1932. Shortly thereafter, she moved to New York City to take a position with New York Life Insurance Co.; she also worked part time in a beauty salon.

In 1934, she moved to Arlington and worked for the next three years for Southern Oxygen Supply Co. She and her husband, Cedric L. Barnes, founded the Alexandria-based C.L. Barnes Furniture stores in 1943.

While working primarily as a homemaker in succeeding years, she also was an artist, painting beach scenes, landscapes, floral scenes and occasionally portraits that were sold through Barnes Furniture.

Mrs. Barnes also was a sculptor and an avid bridge player. She enjoyed sewing, cooking, gardening and traveling.

After living in Arlington for many years, she moved to Watergate at Landmark in Alexandria in 1976, where she lived until 2001, when she moved to The Gardens at Fair Oaks, an assisted living home in Fairfax. At The Gardens, she enjoyed playing cards and bingo and helping coordinate movie nights.

Her husband died in 1975.

Survivors include two children, Linnea B. Sandstrom of Clifton and Renny H. Barnes of Fairfax Station; a sister; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Jean DeNoon Wismer

Executive Assistant

Jean DeNoon Wismer, 89, an executive assistant at an investment bank, died May 28 of a heart attack at a hospital in Hollywood, Fla. She had moved from Severna Park to Pembroke Pines, Fla., last year.

Mrs. Wismer, who was born in Minot, N.D., first lived in the Washington area in 1940. She and her husband, a Marine Corps officer, lived off and on in Falls Church and at Fort Meade and Quantico Marine Corps Base for the next 25 years. They settled permanently in Severna Park in 1966.

In the early 1960s, Mrs. Wismer was a secretary for an intelligence unit at Quantico. She worked as an administrative assistant at Alex. Brown & Sons, an investment bank in Baltimore, from the mid-1970s to the late 1980s.

She chaired the volunteer committee of the Red Cross in Anne Arundel in the 1960s and volunteered for the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.

Mrs. Wismer was an avid bridge player throughout her life and was a member of the American Contract Bridge League. She and her husband often traveled to bridge tournaments.

Her husband of 50 years, retired Marine Col. Ralph M. Wismer, died in 1991.

Survivors include two daughters, Linda Wells of Pembroke Pines and Patricia James of Antioch, Calif.; two grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.