John Young Elliott

Baptist Clergyman

John Young Elliott, 83, a Baptist clergyman, died of cancer June 8 at his McLean home.

Mr. Elliott moved to McLean in 1987 and was a member of McLean Baptist Church, where he served as a deacon and on the missions board as well as on other committees. He previously served at American Baptist congregations in Lambertville, N.J., Wickford, R.I., Hoosick Falls, N.Y., and Rochester, N.Y.

Born in Philadelphia, he graduated from Haverford College and received a master's degree in theology from Temple University. During World War II, he was a conscientious objector and worked as a firefighter out west, an attendant in a mental institution near Philadelphia and a human test subject in a hepatitis experiment at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Long devoted to the cause of peace, he counseled potential conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War and worked with many organizations affiliated with peace causes. He served for many years as a trustee of what is now known as Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School in Rochester, N.Y.

His wife of 57 years, Clara Dunfee Elliott, died in February.

Survivors include three children, Martha J.H. Elliott of Santa Barbara, Calif., Susan Marsh Elliott of McLean and John Dunfee Elliott of McLean; and four grandchildren.

Donald W. Dawson

Security Officer,

Pharmacy Worker

Donald W. Dawson, 60, a former IBM security officer who later became a pharmacy technician, died June 7 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had emphysema.

Mr. Dawson was born in Washington and lived in the metropolitan area his entire life. He grew up in Fairfax County and graduated from W.T. Woodson High School.

He served in the Air Force in the 1960s and was an electrician and missile launch specialist.

After his discharge in 1968, he worked at IBM's Manassas facility, where he spent 26 years as a security officer. From 1994 until the time of his death, Mr. Dawson was a pharmacy technician at Giant Food's Virginia Square location in Arlington County.

He was a fan of the Washington Redskins, NASCAR and the Washington Nationals. He lived in Arlington for the past 32 years.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia Dawson of Arlington; three sons, Donald E. Dawson of Oak Creek, Wis., and Jonathan Dawson and Christopher Dawson, both of Arlington; and a brother, Robert Dawson of Stevensville, Md.

Pierrette Garidou Nordan

Translator, Real Estate Agent

Pierrette Garidou Nordan, 81, a translator with Army Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower's staff during World War II, died May 29 of a stroke at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. Nordan was born in Algiers, where her father was a French government bureaucrat. She graduated from the French Lycee in Algiers in 1941.

She was fluent in French and English, and her language skills came in handy when Allied forces landed in North Africa and established their headquarters in Algiers. She became a civilian translator on Eisenhower's staff.

As the war progressed and the Germans were forced out of North Africa, she was asked to serve with U.S. forces in England or Sicily, but she decided to stay in Algiers, where she worked with units of the Army Air Forces at Maison Blanche Airport. It was there that she met her future husband, an Army Air Forces lieutenant.

When the Army Air Forces left Maison Blanche, she went to work for the U.S. Information Directorate for American News Summaries, a wire service that provided information to French news agencies in North Africa.

After her marriage, she was assigned to U.S. military units at Orly Field in Paris.

Mrs. Nordan came to the United States with her husband in 1947 and was accepted as a special student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. A language student, she was described by the head of the French literature department as "unique and outstanding."

At the outbreak of the Korean War, her husband was recalled to active duty at the Pentagon; she worked with the French Embassy in Washington to expedite Marshall Plan efforts in France. She then joined the Washington staff of Agence France-Presse as a copy editor.

From 1955 to 1970, she was an Air Force wife living in Wiesbaden, Germany; at Hamilton Air Force Base, Calif.; in Stuttgart, Germany; and in Washington. Living in Washington permanently after 1970, she worked as a real estate agent with several District firms.

She was an active member of Amnesty International. She also supported the work of the Washington Humane Society and the Washington Animal Rescue League.

In the mid-1950s, she was active in an amateur French drama group in Washington. She also belonged to the Washington chapter of Alliance Francaise.

Survivors include her husband of 59 years, Thomas B. Nordan of Washington; a son, Richard P. Nordan of Raleigh, N.C.; and a brother.