Harold Leon Smock

Postal Employee

Harold Leon Smock, 87, a postal employee, died after a heart attack June 6 at his Silver Spring home.

Mr. Smock, a native of Broken Arrow, Okla., endured the Dust Bowl years and the Depression before landing his first job as a letter carrier in Tulsa. When the United States entered World War II, he joined the Air Force and became a top turret gunner on a B-24 bomber. He flew 36 missions over Germany and was awarded the Air Medal.

After the war, he graduated from Tulsa University, then received a master's degree in speech from Northwestern University in 1949 and a master's degree in management from Syracuse University in 1954. He joined the U.S. Post Office in Washington, working there until his retirement in 1971.

He was sent to Katmandu for two years on a special assignment from the State Department to help start the first air mail service from Nepal. After he retired, the United Nations sent him to Barbados on a special contract to study its postal service.

Mr. Smock and his wife moved to Portland, Ore., for five years but returned to the Washington area in 1982, settling in Silver Spring.

He enjoyed gardening, singing and writing, and penned an unpublished memoir in 1996.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Ruth Jorgensen Smock of Silver Spring; three brothers; and a sister.

Guy Harold Goddard

Air Force Major General

Guy Harold Goddard, 86, an Air Force major general who directed the construction of airfields and military housing, died of a blood disorder June 2 at a hospice in Rockledge, Fla. He had lived in Viera, Fla., since 1995.

Gen. Goddard, a 1941 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, was an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers during World War II. He commanded both the 842nd and 836th Aviation Engineer battalions in the Pacific theater and directed the construction of an airfield in present-day Malaysia.

In 1948, he transferred from the Army to the Air Force, which was formed the previous year. He served in Panama, Texas and North Africa and at the Pentagon. From 1957 to 1961, as head of the Air Force Family Housing Division, he directed the construction of 50,000 housing units for military personnel throughout the United States.

From 1965 to 1968, while stationed at the Pentagon, Gen. Goddard was deputy director of construction for the Air Force. Among his assignments was Project Turnkey, which consisted of the design and construction of a tactical fighter base in South Vietnam. The project was completed in one year.

From 1968 until his retirement in 1972, Gen. Goddard was director of civil engineering for the Air Force. His decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal, three awards of the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star and the Air Force Commendation Medal.

In 1973, the Air Force and the Society of American Military Engineers established the Goddard Medal, an annual award presented to recognize outstanding contributions to military engineering.

After his retirement, Gen. Goddard was executive vice president for engineering firms in Cleveland and Baltimore.

He was born in Woodsfield, Ohio, and attended Ohio State University before entering West Point. He obtained a master's degree in civil engineering from Texas A&M University in 1947.

He had lived in the Washington region off and on since 1941. He resided in McLean in the 1950s and 1960s and in the Mount Vernon section of Fairfax County in the 1960s and 1970s.

He moved to Hilton Head, S.C., in 1977 and later lived in Columbia, S.C., before moving to Florida.

Gen. Goddard's hobbies included golf and reading, and he enjoyed spending time with his family.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Margaret Roberts Goddard of Viera; six children, Rebecca Rizek of Satellite Beach, Fla., Guy H. Goddard Jr. of Woodsboro, Patricia Wooten of Walkersville, John R. Goddard of Alexandria, Peggy Terrell of Lynchburg, Va., and Rosemary Goddard of Baltimore; a brother; 21 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.

Clair A. Callan

Nebraska Congressman

Clair Armstrong Callan, 85, a one-term Democratic congressman from Nebraska, died of a brain tumor May 28 at the Heritage Care Center in Fairbury, Neb.

Rep. Callan served from 1965 to 1967 as a supporter of President Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society legislation and was proud of his votes for Medicare, voting rights, education, flood control and rural electrification. He said in later life that his only regret was his vote for the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, which allowed Johnson to increase the number of U.S. troops in Vietnam.

Almost 40 years later, he sued President Bush in various courts for alleged violation of the War Powers Resolution over the invasion of Iraq. He learned in April that the U.S. Supreme Court would not hear his lawsuit but told family members that history would prove him right.

He was born in Odell, Neb., and graduated from Peru State College in Nebraska. During World War II, he served in the Navy on a destroyer in the Pacific. After the war, he returned to his family's hardware and farm supply business and served on a number of local boards until his election to Congress. He lost reelection bids in 1966 and 1970 and became deputy administrator of the Rural Electrification Administration and president of Allied Industries International Inc. and Agri-Tech Inc. in Nashville before returning to his home state in the late 1980s.

Survivors include his wife, Joyce Stark Callan of Fairbury; two children, John Callan of Ralston, Neb., and Catherine Renshaw of Odell; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.